[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Solution to stick problem

Solution to stick problem

Problems with your print or projects? talk here

Postby plexus » 2012-Aug-Fri-12-Aug

I just wanted to share that I have been able to solve my print first layer not sticking issue. I at the moment using the stock heat bed, in stock position (element down) with blue painters tape, 80C. at first I was sanding down the tape because the ABS would not stick to it stock. but even sanding wasn't working reliably and was much to sensitive to Z home height. i decided to mix up some ABS Juice which has been suggested here and in other forums. it works great!

I should have measured how much ABS I used but i am going to guess around 15-20g / 250mL acetone. at first i was putting 3 coats on but this is too much and its very hard to get the prints off. 1 coat works fine. i am going to try and thin it down 50% and see how well that works.

I know its been suggested and posted elsewhere but I wanted to make a post specifically addressing my situation in case it helps you with your issue.

plexus
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Solution to stick problem

Postby hqmhqm » 2012-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

Thanks for the writeup!

I'm going to try that. I have not had too much trouble getting ABS to stick to Kapton tape, but I have had some of the edges lift off of big flat structures, and also if I have any support material, that tends to be hard to get to all stick, and it just takes on piece to lift off to screw up the print.

hqmhqm
I'm an end stop.

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

Slic3r 8.4 has a nice brim feature in it to take care of parts sticking. Unfortunately there are other problems with it if you are looking to get accurate Inside Diameters. If your not worried about that give it a try if you haven't already and set it to 2 or 3. I've been waiting for them to get it fixed in a new version but that hasn't happened yet.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Postby plexus » 2012-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

plexus
Site Admin

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

It adds more surface to the first layer. You can make it as big as you want. It's good for small parts so they stick.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Postby plexus » 2012-Aug-Fri-14-Aug

plexus
Site Admin

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Aug-Fri-14-Aug

Pretty much. I really like it but if I'm trying to make a really accurate part with it it doesn't seem to come out quite right. For most parts it should be OK though. Give it a shot.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2012-Aug-Fri-22-Aug

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby scantrontb » 2012-Aug-Sat-00-Aug

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Aug-Sat-06-Aug

As for the getting the ID close, Slic3r 8.3 was the key. The ID came out a lot closer.To tweak it even closer I played around with the Extruder number in the Gcode. I kept reducing the number until the ID came out as close as possible. It started out at 560 and I ended up using around 475. WOW....a big difference. I still get good prints with no problems that I can see. As you change E keep checking your X and Y and make any necessary changes. I hope this will help other people who want to get accurate parts.

Michael@Oz.......The Brim won't make your parts more accurate. It just helps make them stick better.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Postby hqmhqm » 2012-Sep-Sun-20-Sep

OK Where was that post about using Aqua Net hairspray to get ABS to stick.
I tried it on a glass bed which had kapton tape on it, and it worked too well; I cannot lift my part off at all!

Maybe the kapton is not needed at all, with the hairspray? Anyone else have experience with this?

hqmhqm
I'm an end stop.

Postby tgfisher » 2012-Sep-Sat-13-Sep

tgfisher
I'm an end stop.

Postby CL1 » 2012-Sep-Sat-13-Sep

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Sep-Sat-15-Sep

Interesting....I can't find that post either. I went ahead and bought a can of the Aqua Net too. I removed the Kapton tape because it needed to be replaced anyway and sprayed the aluminum plate with the hair spray. It's actually working pretty good. The part comes off easy after it's printed too..... maybe too easy. Looks like I can get 2-3 of the same parts per spray. I'll have to keep testing it to see what happens.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Return to Project troubleshooting