I can't get my LCD to work (Panelolu2)

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby hmpzify » 2015-Apr-Sat-08-Apr

Hey everybody
I'm trying to get my Panelolu2 to work with my Printrboard revF4 but it just lights up blank.

I've followed the instruction in the code:
Downloaded the LiquidTWI2 and but it in the libraries subfolder to Arduino
And changed the code in Configuration.h
Code: Select all
// PANELOLU2 LCD with status LEDs, separate encoder and click inputs
//#define LCD_I2C_PANELOLU2
#ifdef LCD_I2C_PANELOLU2

to:
Code: Select all
// PANELOLU2 LCD with status LEDs, separate encoder and click inputs
#define LCD_I2C_PANELOLU2
#ifdef LCD_I2C_PANELOLU2

But still blank and i can't even connect the printer to the computer..
But with the exact same code just "#define LCD_I2C_PANELOLU2" commented it works just fine.

What i'm i forgetting?'
thanks

hmpzify
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: I can't get my LCD to work (Panelolu2)

Postby j.fordham83 » 2015-Apr-Sat-10-Apr

Hi,

Is the firmware you downloaded and edited also have the changes made for the printrbot? ie mainboard, exturders etc?

When you say it's blank, does it in fact have 2 lines of squares on? It sounds like the connector is the wrong way round if all you get is a backlit screen and nothing else.

J.

3D Printing Reviews - Blogger - Twitter @3D_PrintReviews - Facebook.com/3DPrintReviews
j.fordham83
Levelling print bed...

Postby hmpzify » 2015-Apr-Sat-10-Apr

Yes sorry I get the lines.

I downloaded the Mariln firmware for the RevF4 and everything is working
but when i uncomment the #define panelolu2 line nothing is working, cant connect to the computer and blank lines on the LCD

hmpzify
Loading filament...

Postby j.fordham83 » 2015-Apr-Sat-13-Apr

Hey,

Have you followed this info from the manufacturers page? The bit in bold...

Marlin Firmware Setup

The T3P3 branch of Marlin, available from github, has been updated to include support for the Panelolu2 on Printrboard and RAMPS. Every printer configuration is slightly different but the generic workflow for updating your firmware to support the Panelolu2 is as follows:

1) If you are not already using it get the standard version of Arduino-0023 from the Arduino website, note that this version of Marlin has not been tested with Arduino 1.0 or higher.
2) Get T3P3 Marlin from github.
3) For Printrboard follow the reprap wiki advice to get up and running with firmware, Lincomatic's blog post is also useful. For RAMPS, support for the Arduino Mega 2560 is built into standard arduino
4) Get LiquidTWI2 as mentioned in my Panelolu2 blog post, note that configuration changes are no longer required in the latest version of LiquidTWI2.
5) Modify the configuration.h of the Marlin to fit your printer setup (setting like controller board, axis dimensions, thermistors, etc). Update: This blog post should help.
6) Confirm Marlin compiles and uploads with //#define PANELOLU2 still commented out in configuration.h.
7) Then uncomment #define PANELOLU2 , along with #define EEPROM_SETTINGS and #define EEPROM_CHITCHAT and confirm it compiles and uploads. Note that with the #define PANELOLU2 uncommented, you must have the Panelolu2 connected or Marlin will hang and not finish initialising.
8)Check the printer operation and calibration to ensure you have edited the Marlin configuration.h properly.

3D Printing Reviews - Blogger - Twitter @3D_PrintReviews - Facebook.com/3DPrintReviews
j.fordham83
Levelling print bed...

Postby hmpzify » 2015-Apr-Mon-18-Apr

Sorry for the time it took fo me to answer, was out of town..

The two lines about EEPROM are uncommented from the beginning.
It should work, but for me it doesn't... :/

hmpzify
Loading filament...

Postby hmpzify » 2015-Apr-Mon-20-Apr

I'm i plugging in my LCD right?
I got the Panelolu2 and it comes with a adapter called Printrboard adapter v0.1 And it fits over the Exp1 and ICSP connectors. But what i can find you're supposed to plug your LCD in Exp2 and the Extrudrbard goes in the Exp1.

I bought it from makemandel.com and they said "Connect LCD to the "EXP2" slot on Printrboard." on their page. Under this picture...
They are clealry connecting it to Exp1
I'm connecting it like the picture but i am not getting the lcd to display what i want.

hmpzify
Loading filament...

Postby j.fordham83 » 2015-Apr-Tue-08-Apr

Can you post a picture of your set up, front and back?

Yes it is suppose to plug into EXP1, and as i have just found out i don't think you can use the Panelolu2 and a dual extruder board :-(

I see from your other thread you can get the new firmware uploaded to the board, is that correct? If so how can you say that the correct changes have been made to the firmware, i'm confused here.

j.fordham83
Levelling print bed...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Apr-Wed-15-Apr

I just switched from a Printrboard/Panelolu2 combo to RAMPS/RepRapDiscountLCD combo last week and all was fine with me. The only changes you should have to make are uncommenting the Panelolu2 LCD line in the code.

You need to make sure you have the LiquidTW2 Arduino libraries, which you do, but you also need to make sure you are using the correct IDE version for it.

Have you tried downloading a different Marlin version and testing it?

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby loganj13 » 2015-May-Thu-21-May

Hey thought you folks might be interested. Makemendel.com which sells the Panelolu2 LCD just offered to add the LCD connection code to the default Printrbot Rev F software (for the Simple Maker's kit) for me. Which means, no Marlin but still LCD. Yay! If you're not using the Simple Maker's kit, I'd bet they'd be happy to add it to the stock software for your version as well. You just need to send them a copy of the current software, which can be found on Printrbot.com in components on the Rev F: http://printrbot.com/shop/printrboard-rev-f/
Pretty great of makemendel if you ask me! Although I did just spend almost $200 on stuff on their store :lol: that might help. Especially if you buy the Panelolu2 from them (received mine today, looks great so far!) I'm sure they'd be happy to. I'm extremely impressed with their customer service.
PS: no this is not an ad, I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy happy customer :D )

loganj13
Levelling print bed...

Return to Troubleshooting talk