Locked Firmware?

Code hacking talk

Locked Firmware?

Postby Jozer503 » 2019-Feb-Fri-21-Feb

I came into a used PB Simple Metal with a Rev F5 board. I tried to install Modern Marlin on it using the wiki directions with FLIP. I got my printer into DFU mode and the driver installed.

When I tried to run an Erase, Zero Check, Write, Verify cycle, the Erase step "completed successfully", but the zero check failed at 0x00000. When I reboot the board, I get back into the original firmware. If I skip the Zero check, it also "writes successfully", but fails verification, and again, I boot back into my original firmware.

It seems like my board is ignoring any firmware writes. Is there some reason it could be "locked"? Is there a way to unlock it? Or could this be caused by someone flashing a different bootloader than the default DFU onto the board before I got it?

Jozer503
Waiting to connect to printer...

Locked Firmware?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Locked Firmware?

Postby RetireeJay » 2019-Feb-Fri-22-Feb

There are some lock bits that FLIP can't change - but your description of the symptoms is definitely curious. I don't understand why FLIP would indicate any progress at all - either zeroing or programming - if it was locked out.

Are you sure that the Marlin image you are trying to load into the board fits in the available space? Marlin has many options, and you can't have all of them turned on at the same time and fit in the available memory on a Printrboard. FLIP might refuse to do any programming at all if it knows the hex file will never fit.

It's possible to use an ISP programmer and have direct access to the memory bank as opposed to using a software bootloader. But the Rev F5 board may not have the necessary header installed on the board. There's a place for it, but if I recall correctly they stopped installing the header on Rev 5.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Jozer503 » 2019-Feb-Fri-23-Feb

Yes I've tried this with a firmware I compiled, but also one that is popular on this forum with many reported happy users.

Is Marlin 1.1.9 really that much better than the default printrbot firmware? I'm wondering if it is worth all the trouble with an ISP programmer just for this upgrade.

Jozer503
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2019-Feb-Sat-08-Feb

Some people seem to enjoy hacking the firmware just for the fun of it. Others only flash the firmware if the original firmware gets corrupted and no longer works. I'm closer to the latter category myself; if there's not a very compelling reason to change, then why do it? (But the parts I'm making are more in the realm of "mechanical" parts; some of the newer features help to tweak the aesthetics of "art" prints.)

So do you have a complaint about the prints you are getting with your current firmware? Actually, the first place to start is with having good quality filament that is dry. Then there are literally dozens of tweaks available in your slicing software. There's your print-cooling fan, and all the mechanicals of your machine like loose or binding bearings, belt tension and so on. Only after exhausting all the other quality tweaks would I consider it necessary to flash the firmware.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Hack talk