Repetier Host / Slic3r

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Repetier Host / Slic3r

Postby jknightandkarr » 2018-Dec-Tue-23-Dec

Finally getting back into my 1405 printer, been down quite a while due to the horrible amount of y-axis sag and inability to level the print bed. Fixed the sag using 18 ga stiff wire to sew the thing togeather, fixed the sag, and then made a frame support using an old clipboard and raised the bed up with springs and longer screws. Now since I lost ALL my settings quite a while ago, can anyone give me their settings for Repetier-Host and Slic3r? I got it printing good, I used https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2806295 to try and see the results. I terminated the print little early due to forgetting about the support material option being turned on, so kinda screwed it up alittle. I want to get it fine tuned now as much as possible, as fast as possible. I know the software has changed alittle over the years, and the original documentation has gotten me back to printing, but deffinatly needs work, so if anyone can show me their settings or recommend some settings, that'd really be helpfull.

I have my current setup as this:
0.4mm nozzle
1.75mm pla filament
heated bed-Temp at 70 deg C
ubis metal hotend (one that came with fan, not the ubis 13)-Temp at 205 deg C
Need to replace Kapton tape but for the moment it's still useable. Might try piece of glass to replace it, though will have to figure out accessing screws to relevel the bed.

I added a photo of the print i did to show what its doing.

Thanks!
Joe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Repetier Host / Slic3r

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Repetier Host / Slic3r

Postby RetireeJay » 2018-Dec-Wed-08-Dec

It looks like your belts may be loose - the positioning in both X and Y seems a little erratic. If the belts are tight, then check the setscrews that hold the toothed pulleys onto the motor shafts - they should be centered on the flats and should be secure so the pulleys can't rotate on the shafts.

Also, I'd say to check your Extruder calibration. If you issue a manual command to the printer to extrude 100mm of filament, then 100mm of filament should move through the extruder. Use a marker to put a dot on the incoming filament and see how far it moves. Full instructions for doing this calibration should be easy to find; they've been posted both in this forum and in other locations on the web.

Finally, I like to use a digital caliper to measure the actual diameter of my filament. It's generally not exactly 1.750mm. Also, it's generally slightly oval, so you have to take a measurement of the largest "diameter" and the smallest "diameter" at a point on the filament, and average the two. It's best to do this with a short segment of filament that you cut off so it's easier to make accurate measurements.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2018-Dec-Wed-17-Dec

Belts and the pulleys are fine, measured 50mm on filament, clicked the 50 on repetier host and distance dropped from 50 to like 23 using fast mode and from 50 to like 2 mm on slow.

Joe

Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby RetireeJay » 2018-Dec-Wed-17-Dec

Try something simple like a 10mm X 10mm X 10mm cube; that may give you better information about what's going on. Once you can print a cube perfectly, then move on to the torture test to fine-tune stuff like speed, extruder temperature, fan speed, and even more fine-grained tests.
I'm attaching a Slic3r file from a couple of years ago, which I used with my Printrbot. I was using "3mm" filament on that printer.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2018-Dec-Wed-18-Dec

Lol already ahead of you. Was already printing a 20mm x 20mm x 20mm cube. I did check the filament and adjusted it, though will keep checking the diameter, also set temp to 195. Will do a temp test to see if that helps.

Joe

jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby jknightandkarr » 2018-Dec-Wed-18-Dec

Could the z axis be pushing down on the prints at all? Whats the slicer setting to adjust it? Doing a temp test print now.

Joe

Edit: Temp test really not helpfull... lol changed layer height to 0.2 before I printed it, but going from my lighted 8x magnifier I'd say likw 200-210 deg C best temp range so maybe 205.

Edit2: did a torcher test. Not clean by any means but did finish it all without problems, except for like 2 spots, both in the same area.

jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby jknightandkarr » 2018-Dec-Wed-21-Dec

Well... this thread is done....... My freaking Printrbot controll board just blew! What the heck......

Joe

Edit: Maybe not... my benchtop power supply didnt kick power off when I hooked it up to the control board n if it was blown n kicks pc power supply, will kick my benchtop supply. It's designed to kick power output off in event of short, so here's hoping its the power supply!

jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby jknightandkarr » 2018-Dec-Thu-16-Dec

Hooked the control board back up and while it powers on, x, y & z axis steppers don't move at all, and the software got disconnected from the board, so RIP Printrboard Rev F4......

jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Return to Software usage talk