e-bike conversion

Discussions about CAD use and designing

e-bike conversion

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jun-Sat-16-Jun

I've been working slowly but surely to get my vintage 1990 Cannondale SM700 (black with apple green splash paint job) converted to a 1000 watt/48 volt ebike. When I get into a project like this I have a tendency to go update crazy. OCD? Since a bike set up like this can do 28MPH relatively easy, I figure hydraulic disc brakes 180mm front/160mm back are pretty important. I changed the four sided crank to a hollow-tech II crank, had a new front wheel built with the disc brake mounts and installed new tubeless tires. Also installed are a carbon fiber handlebar, carbon fiber seat post and new seat. Theoretically the carbon fiber bits will make things a bit smoother on this old hard frame bike.

I'm relatively good with OpenScad (getting better all the time), so designing new parts like a controller mount are relatively easy. 3d-printing is ideal to get all of the bits and bobs for a custom conversion like this. I'm printing all of my custom parts in 3d-Solutech apple green PLA to match the paint job and give it a bit of flare. My old Simple Metal with the Einsy board conversion is my go to printer for all of this. It does a damn good job! There is a sense of gratification that's hard to duplicate when you design you own parts and make functional parts which hopefully look good too.

It'll be fun to get the Cannondale back on the road again. When I bought it in 1990 I was a young fit guy. Unfortunately, I'm no longer young and fit. The conversion will allow me to make a nice little commuter bike that should go 20 or so miles per charge. Don't ask me about price....when you replace as many parts as I have the price ramps up fast. If you change only the essential parts to get an e-bike on the road, you can do it for $500-$600.

cbxbiker61
Waiting for printbed temp...

e-bike conversion

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: e-bike conversion

Postby Jimmy McNulty » 2018-Jun-Tue-10-Jun

I'd look at the pictures of your work when it is completed. How long have you been doing this about? :)

Jimmy McNulty
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jun-Tue-12-Jun

I ordered the motor conversion kit on June 3rd. Getting all the right parts, i.e. disc brake caliper brackets and such is really the tricky part. I've been watching a lot of videos on youtube to figure out bike part compatibility. On my front disc bracket, first I ordered the wrong bracket, then I ordered the correct bracket and still got a wrong bracket. I should finally be getting the correct bracket in the next day or two. It's things like that, that slow me down.

cbxbiker61

Postby Jimmy McNulty » 2018-Jun-Wed-00-Jun

I mean, how long have you been working on this project? Since June 3rd totally? or longer. Because as for me, this is a damn huge amount of work :)

Jimmy McNulty

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jun-Wed-02-Jun

I started on June 3rd. I saw a youtube video of the "sur ron bee" electric motorcycle the week before that. That was what really got me thinking.

cbxbiker61

Postby Jimmy McNulty » 2018-Jul-Sun-08-Jul

Well good luck with your project. Don't forget about pictures if you'd like to share

Jimmy McNulty

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jul-Sun-14-Jul

Late last night I finally got the motor and battery connections soldered using XT60 and MT60 connectors. It spins the wheel!

I also weighed it to see where it fits compared to ready to run e-bikes.

Average e-bikes: 65 lbs
Better e-bikes: 55 lbs
$9000 high quality off-road e-bike: 46-48 lbs
My Cannondale e-bike: 50 lbs

I'm very happy with that weight.

Just basic wiring cleanup and e-brake connections left to do. I want it ready to run on July 4th. My brother will be in town for the 4th and I think it will be fun to let everyone get a chance to ride the e-bike. I expect I'll get some photos then.

cbxbiker61

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jul-Tue-16-Jul

Magnet ring mounted on my Hollowtech II crank. It replaces the granny gear, since the motor gives you a significant torque boost, the granny really is unnecessary. I'm printing all of the plastic parts in 3d-Solutech Apple Green to match the paint on the bike.

IMG_0957.JPG

See my comments on thingiverse to see what is involved in making the magnet ring. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1548139

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbxbiker61

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jul-Wed-15-Jul

PAS sensor mount. Had to fine tune it to get the spacing between the sensor and the magnet ring just right.

IMG_0958.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbxbiker61

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jul-Wed-20-Jul

OK, finally got it running. It has 3 miles on the odometer for today. It has PAS modes 1-5, and I thought it would be relatively tame in mode 1, but no, it gives you a kick in the pants ~200-250 watts. In PAS mode 1 it wants to push you around 20MPH real easy. I had it up to 32MPH with a bit of a tail wind in PAS mode 3. 22MPH against the wind. My wiring is in a temporary state so I could get it running on the 4th of July. I'll have it much neater in a few days.

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

cbxbiker61

Return to CAD & design