What is the opinion on these 'smoother moduels' we see

Talk about modifications to the printer

Postby Jack Crow » 2018-May-Sat-10-May

Hi all,
Been watching YouTube and there are these diode based 'smoothers' for taking out some of the noise generated by the drive chips / stepper motor combination on various printers.

Yet to see an opinion on printerbot products posted. I am aware of the 'delta' question.

https://www.amazon.com/BALITENSEN-TL-Sm ... s=smoother
Wondering if any of the crew here has actually tried to use them.

The Amazon text reads...

"TheTL-Smoother is an addon module for 3D printer stepper motor drivers.
The board provides flyback diodes (freewheeling diodes) for the motor outputs, so that they are also protected against induction voltages in the unpowered state of the driver.You will got smoother movement especially on the delta-style 3Dprinter under DVR8825 stepper drivers and A4988/2 drivers.
Lower vibration lower noise smoother result!"

They don't look hard to make if push comes to shove, but for less than $20 for a set of three, seems easy enough.
Design and make a small holder to insulate the boards from the other parts under the printer.
Up end the printer and cut the motor leads near where the holder will be mounted. (In my unit, there was a lot of exess wire for the motor drivers. Had to dress it to prevent snags within the space.)
Pop off the board connectors and solder the motor leads directly to the board, re plug the motor leads back to the printer board.
Looks simple enough.

Just for the record, I have not actually tried to measure any of these signals.

Open to ideas.

Jack Crow in Virginia Beach

Jack Crow
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What is the opinion on these 'smoother moduels' we see

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-May-Sat-20-May

If you watch enough of the youtube videos, you will find that only certain stepper motor drivers are afflicted and they're not the drivers used on the printrboard. I don't think you will see any benefit with using the smoothers in conjunction with the printerboards.

cbxbiker61

Re: What is the opinion on these 'smoother moduels' we see

Postby Jack Crow » 2018-May-Sun-07-May

CB,
Thanks for the answer.
I am in no hurry to run out and order parts then modify the system. Was wondering out loud.
Again, many thanks.
Jack Crow

Jack Crow

Return to Mod talk