Warping PLA

Problems with your print or projects? talk here

Warping PLA

Postby novice » 2018-Apr-Sun-12-Apr

Have always used PLA and find 210 for the hotend and 50 for the bed to work best for me. Been using blue tape for years up until this winter, when I decided to use PEI well scuffed and cleaned with alcohol. Been getting very good (smooth) results past several months until I printed a large block object with a designer recommended 100% infill today. First attempt had corner warp (lifting) after 2 hours into a 6+ hr print at which time the print was canceled. Next attempt at only 60% infill looks to be successful (usable) with only slight corner lifting 4+ hrs into the print. I'm getting a really good first layer. Use Cura 15.04.6 so my cooling options are limited. Does the greater mass of the 100% infill create greater chance of warp from the bed or was that likely caused by other reasons?

novice
Waiting for extruder temp...

Warping PLA

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Warping PLA

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Apr-Sun-12-Apr

Yes, higher infill levels are more likely to warp.

cbxbiker61
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby ktfergus » 2018-Apr-Mon-14-Apr

What if you used a stronger filament, say PETG, T_Glase, or even carbon fiber infused PLA, with a lower infill %?

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1503 (Play) :: 100mm x 100mm DIY Heated bed
Latest Project :: Sisyphus Whirligig
ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Postby novice » 2018-Apr-Wed-15-Apr

Didn't see your second reply until now. This was/is a Glock sight tool (vise type) found on Thingverse and after the initial failure was then successfully printed @ 60% in spite of the design recommendation. I believe it's sturdy enough as is...however the nephew has yet to return to give it a test. Appreciate your suggestion(s)

novice
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Apr-Wed-16-Apr

There is diminishing returns in infill% vs strength.

For the most part you're really not gaining much strength beyond 60% anyway. Number of perimeters is actually a better way to ensure strength. 3 perimeters vs 2 gains significant strength.

cbxbiker61
Waiting for printbed temp...

Return to Project troubleshooting