Fast fat printing? Ubis 13s flow rates?

Postby lairdb » 2018-Feb-Wed-14-Feb

I've found a couple of generally related threads, but nothing quite on-point.

I've got my Simple Metal back up and running nicely with an Ubis 13s hot end and a new Printrboard F6. (Aaargh. Happy with the outcome, but aargh.)

Now that I can print again, I'm considering building up a DIY smalls, using the adoptabot design and misc spare parts. When I was considering whether I had any actual practical use for it, I realized it might be handy to have a second printer set up for a large nozzle, e.g. 0.8 or even 1.0 -- for quick-and-dirty, don't care as much about surface texture and detail, prints.

So, the questions would seem to be about maximum practicable flow rate for the 13s. On my Simple Metal, I typically run 1.75mm PLA filament, the 0.4mm tip, 0.2 layer height, and 50mm/s print speed; I figure that's about a 4.2 mm3/s flow rate. I have *not* experimented much with faster print speeds, so I don't have a real sense of what's achievable on that axis.

If I could roughly triple that flow rate (just to pull a number out of thin air) then I could use an 0.8 tip and 0.6 layer height at 25mm/s, for a 12.9 mm3/s flow rate -- that would hustle the parts out while keeping movement pretty gentle.

Any ideas on reasonable max flow for PLA for the 13s? (I could imagine this being a curve for different nozzle sizes due to backpressure, etc., too.)

Thanks.

Simple Metal Kit, heated bed
Mods: blower fan with self-remixed blower duct
Usually PLA on kapton with AquaNet.
Usually Cura.
lairdb
Waiting for extruder temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Fast fat printing? Ubis 13s flow rates?

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Feb-Wed-16-Feb

It took some searching, but I found where I'd posted my extruder flow rate test. You'll also need small basic if you want to run the gcode generator. The included gcode will go from 6 to 10 cubic mm/minute, at least give you a place to start from.

I've tested the original all metal Ubis, an E3D V6, and Printrbot's Ubis HF. Never had a 13s, but it would be interesting to compare it to the other 3. If you're going to stay on the 1.75 dark side the Ubis HF is the best choice, but if you don't have one run what you brung

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Re: Fast fat printing? Ubis 13s flow rates?

Postby lairdb » 2018-Feb-Wed-17-Feb

Thanks -- I may play with that, or just run some test parts. (5mm Pyramid for quick testing, and Elephant or Benchy, are my usual go-to.)

Briefly reviewing the previous thread, it looks like 8mm3/s was achievable with the ceramic, and maybe as high as 15+ with the E3D v6. My imagined 12 may be reasonable.

Simple Metal Kit, heated bed
Mods: blower fan with self-remixed blower duct
Usually PLA on kapton with AquaNet.
Usually Cura.
lairdb
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to General