getting stuck (Resolved)

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

getting stuck (Resolved)

Postby mcdader » 2017-May-Sat-17-May

*** Cause and Solution **** Special thanks to this forum.

- Bootloader corrupt, AVR lock bits on, preventing firmware flash verification. Also Blank check fails.
- Bad Firmware causing printing issue. Too many different firmware's out there.

- Used Bus Pirate / avrdude to reset lock bits and reflash DFU bootloader.
- Re-flashed working firmware (RevF4-v1-SimpleMetal.hex attached zip file. After trying so many different firmware files, don't remember where this one came from)

Since this was a software issue, mods may move it to correct location. Thanks
I am working on gathering some other instructions and PIN layouts that I will attach to this post when they are done.

*** Original Posts Below ***

20170520_152534.jpg

So I had to re-flash my boards firmware and now having odd issue. Board is F4 and used firmware simple-0.6.hex from Printrbots Github.

So while printing at random times during print getting a noise like motor is stuck and hotend keeps extruding in same spot. This only started happening after firmware update. I checked my M212 settings and same as before firmware flash.

Prints will complete if I keep retrying.

Belts look good and tension is good. Thinking I may have used wrong firmware, not sure.

Thanks for you help.

** Update ***
Went to reflash firmware again and now getting Blank Check failed. So sounds like board may be shot. :(

So flashed it with RevF_v5.hex, left blank check and verfiy unchecked and it seems like it flashed. Testing print now.

Making progress, Print finished, but part way through paused with loud buzz for 15-20 seconds then started up again.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mcdader on 2017-May-Thu-13-May, edited 1 time in total.
mcdader
Loading filament...

getting stuck (Resolved)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: getting stuck

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Sat-19-May

Which model Printrbot, and which controller board? The rev F is noticeably different then the previous boards, including using digipots to set the motor currents through firmware.

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby mcdader » 2017-May-Sat-20-May

Mooselake wrote:Which model Printrbot, and which controller board? The rev F is noticeably different then the previous boards, including using digipots to set the motor currents through firmware.

Simple metal 2015, Rev F4.

It is printing now, but part way through prints stops with loud hum (15-20 seconds) and then continues.

Loud hum seems like extruder motor, since it is still trying to extrude while motion is paused.

Nope still happening. Seems like all movement stops, with excepting on extruder, it grinds away at filaments since it cant extrude.

I know I am missing something:

Send: M501
Recv: echo:Stored settings retrieved
Recv: echo:Steps per unit:
Recv: echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z2020.00 E96.00
Recv: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
Recv: echo: M203 X125.00 Y125.00 Z5.00 E14.00
Recv: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
Recv: echo: M201 X2000 Y2000 Z30 E10000
Recv: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
Recv: echo: M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
Recv: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
Recv: echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
Recv: echo:Home offset (mm):
Recv: echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:PID settings:
Recv: echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
Recv: echo:Min position (mm):
Recv: echo: M210 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:Max position (mm):
Recv: echo: M211 X150.00 Y150.00 Z150.00
Recv: echo:Bed probe offset (mm):
Recv: echo: M212 X25.00 Y0.00 Z-0.90

mcdader
Loading filament...

Postby mcdader » 2017-May-Sat-22-May

Any Suggestions on which replacement printer board to purchase?

Certified Pre-owned Rev5 or Rev F6.

mcdader
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Sun-08-May

I imagine you've checked for bad belt teeth, interference, loose cables, etc already. With the blank check fail you may have rotted away some program memory. Did it do an automatic verify? ( edit: see from the first post you didn't)

At $70 new the savings on a refurb can't be that much. I'd go with the bigger connector F6 (well, I'd probably try a rev G, but that way lies madness). You might need a bit if dremeling or filing if the cable opening isn't big enough. Through hole makes it a lot better attached to the board than the surface mount micro

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby mcdader » 2017-May-Sun-13-May

I was looking at the new G2, but it sounds like it is not working well yet. (heated bed and I would have to buy a new hot end.) Bigger usb connecter is definetly on my radar.
$30 difference between F5 and F6.

Going to research if there are any other brands as well.

It is not skipping, X,Y,Z are holding (on not moving) with load buzz. I tried manually moving them and cannot when it gets stuck. Only extruder continues to run.

I am going to order programmer and try and repair this board as well.

mcdader
Loading filament...

Postby mcdader » 2017-May-Wed-03-May

So I purchased a Bus Pirate and used it to re-flash the boot loader. I checked the lock bits and the were locked. Went ahead and flashed the CDC boot loader, then flashed firmware (both successful). Re-flashing the boot loader was a big learning curve. I am going to put together a guide from all the sites I used.

Issue still persists thought. Using RevF_v5.hex firmware. hmm, well enough for one night/morning.

-Found topic with same issue, Sounds like a firmware issue. Will try to track down other firmware versions. Plus didn't notice limits on CDC boot loader so going back to DFU.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10468&p=70258&hilit=simple+metal+stops+moving#p70258

mcdader
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Wed-12-May

Do you like the Bus Pirate? I've looked at them, but too many irons, too many fires...

Try asking Printrbot, either via ticket or on the official forum, which firmware version they recommend for your bot. I see the Dozuki's been deactivated so no help there.

You can ask Plexus for access to the Wiki and post your guide there. RJ's is getting a bit dated.

After all this building your own firmware should be relatively easy. It's been covered here, both the Arduino and PlatformIO approaches. I'd suggest starting with the config file from PB's recommended firmware and go from there. There's been recent posts about the latest version of Marlin, perhaps one of the builders can share either their firmware (you'll need to, at least, reconfigure the EEPROM) or their config files. Do an M503, print the results, and fasten them in your Printrbot notebook for future reference.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby mcdader » 2017-May-Wed-20-May

So real quick, Funny that you say ask Printrbot. I opened a ticket to see if they could point me to the Firmware. Reply was since my bot is out of warrant and no longer in production (Simple metal), They prioritize support for new customers, so I will not receive a reply.

Not sure I would recommend a Printrbot to anyone these days.

I have only used the Bus pirate for AVR programming so far, but I have looked a them in the past. I think it will come in handy for future tinkering. It was finicky to get working with avrdude

mcdader
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-May-Wed-21-May

mcdader wrote:So real quick, Funny that you say ask Printrbot. I opened a ticket to see if they could point me to the Firmware. Reply was since my bot is out of warrant and no longer in production (Simple metal), They prioritize support for new customers, so I will not receive a reply.

Not sure I would recommend a Printrbot to anyone these days.

Ouch.
We try in this forum to support all the models, but PB has kept up a pretty rapid pace of planned obsolescence, and resources we used to point to on their web site have moved around or disappeared.
By contrast, I can easily find online support for most any other gizmo in my house, even if it's 10 years old. I don't necessarily mean I can contact a live person at GE about my dishwasher, but most companies have web sites that are well organized and have in-depth information. Got to say I'm very disappointed in PB.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: getting stuck (Resolved)

Postby dinokale » 2018-Nov-Sun-22-Nov

mcdader can you post instructions and what you did? I have a printrbot and it is having communication issues with both mac and pc versions of cura, as well as other softwares ... changing serial modes does nothing .... it randomly starts working for about 10 minutes at a time once every 100029 tries. I would like to re-flash the firmware and have a buspirate but have never done something like this (I got a bus pirate a long time ago and never used it).

dinokale
Waiting to connect to printer...

Re: getting stuck (Resolved)

Postby dinokale » 2018-Nov-Sun-22-Nov

It's funny all the current romanticism about printrbot (rip). Mechanically its such a beautiful simple little machine yet it seems many mistakes were made as a company and also in terms of support and designs.

I have recently come into possession of a printrbot simple metal and there are such basic avoidable design flaws such as no diagnostic indicator LEDs built in, USB and power cables hidden due to board placement, micro USB cable insert is loose due to board placement, micro sd card reader is recessed and micro sd card becomes stuck (I actually broke a 16gig card extracting it with tweezers yesterday), no built in heated bed, and very little information on the web, no on-off switch.

It's currently bricked 99.9% of the time and decides to work 0.01% of the time. Very little diagnostic information available to me. If I can't come up with a solution soon I'm going to have to purchase a smothie board or similar and retrofit this thing. This is a Rev F5 Printrboard.

dinokale
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Troubleshooting talk