cura settings

Problems with your print or projects? talk here

cura settings

Postby itsmrtang » 2016-Mar-Sun-15-Mar

Hi all ~

I have a Printrbot Play and it works great.
I then purchased a Printrbot Simple; however, it leaves gaps and holes.
For example, the photos of the name tag attached show top layer was finished with holes and the bottom layer with gaps.
I think it is a setting issue so I hope some experience folks can suggest some adjustments I should make to cura.

Thanks!!

20160327_145717.jpg

20160327_145814.jpg

setting - basic.JPG

setting - advanced.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
itsmrtang
Waiting to connect to printer...

cura settings

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: cura settings

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Mar-Sun-19-Mar

Looks like underextrusion, Make sure your filament size is set correctly (1.73mm, better yet measure it in 3 places and at right angles in each place, then take the average). If that doesn't correct it then you'll need to calibrate your extruder. You can find directions here (use the forum search) or on help.printrbot.com, it's straightforward if a bit tedious.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2016-Mar-Sun-23-Mar

Mooselake wrote:Looks like underextrusion, Make sure your filament size is set correctly (1.73mm, better yet measure it in 3 places and at right angles in each place, then take the average). If that doesn't correct it then you'll need to calibrate your extruder. You can find directions here (use the forum search) or on help.printrbot.com, it's straightforward if a bit tedious.

Kirk

It also looks like the initial z height may not be good ie it needs to be about 0.05mm closer to the bed.

I would also set the infil to a higher level, 15% is way too low, take it up to about 30-50% so that it provides a better support for the top layer.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Mar-Tue-05-Mar

What profile have you loaded? It seems to me that there maybe a need to adjust some of your settings. If I compare your settings to mine. This profile has been good for me for over a year.
layer_height = 0.2064
wall_thickness = 0.8
retraction_enable = True
solid_layer_thickness = 0.6
fill_density = 25
nozzle_size = 0.4
print_speed = 80
print_temperature = 200
print_temperature2 = 0
print_temperature3 = 0
print_temperature4 = 0
print_temperature5 = 0
print_bed_temperature = 60
support = None
platform_adhesion = None
support_dual_extrusion = Both
wipe_tower = False
wipe_tower_volume = 15
ooze_shield = False
filament_diameter = 1.75
filament_diameter2 = 0
filament_diameter3 = 0
filament_diameter4 = 0
filament_diameter5 = 0
filament_flow = 100.0
retraction_speed = 50
retraction_amount = 1.5
retraction_dual_amount = 16.5
retraction_min_travel = 1.5
retraction_combing = All
retraction_minimal_extrusion = 0.02
retraction_hop = 0.0
bottom_thickness = 0.254
layer0_width_factor = 200
object_sink = 0.0
overlap_dual = 0.15
travel_speed = 80
bottom_layer_speed = 40
infill_speed = 0.0
solidarea_speed = 60
inset0_speed = 40
insetx_speed = 0.0
cool_min_layer_time = .5
fan_enabled = True
skirt_line_count = 3
skirt_gap = 3.0
skirt_minimal_length = 150.0
fan_full_height = 0.5
fan_speed = 100
fan_speed_max = 100
cool_min_feedrate = 100
cool_head_lift = False
solid_top = True
solid_bottom = True
fill_overlap = 15
support_type = Lines
support_angle = 60
support_fill_rate = 15
support_xy_distance = 0.7
support_z_distance = 0.15
spiralize = False
simple_mode = False
brim_line_count = 20
raft_margin = 5.0
raft_line_spacing = 3.0
raft_base_thickness = 0.3
raft_base_linewidth = 1.0
raft_interface_thickness = 0.27
raft_interface_linewidth = 0.4
raft_airgap_all = 0.0
raft_airgap = 0.22
raft_surface_layers = 2
raft_surface_thickness = 0.27
raft_surface_linewidth = 0.4
fix_horrible_union_all_type_a = True
fix_horrible_union_all_type_b = False
fix_horrible_use_open_bits = False
fix_horrible_extensive_stitching = False

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby itsmrtang » 2016-Apr-Mon-19-Apr

Thanks for all your replies!

Well, I adjusted Z to another 0.05mm closer to the print bed and increased the top/bottom layer thickness to 0.8mm. PrintrBot Simple prints a bit better now...but...

When I compare the print results between PrintrBot Play and PrintrBot Simple, PrintrBot Simple's quality was much inferior compared to PrintrBot Play. See the attached photos.

The left-hand-side Pac Ghost was printed with 0.2mm layer height by PrintrBot Play. The middle Pac Ghost was printed with exact Cura settings on PrintrBot Simple. The right-hand-side Pac Ghost was printed with 0.1mm layer height by PrintrBot Simple. All prints used the same filament.

20160404_190952.jpg

20160404_191024.jpg

One thing I also have noticed is that PrintrBot Simple often has this lumpy splatters (see the bottom of the middle and right hand side Pac Ghosts). This unevenness often covers details on fine prints. Is the lumpiness normal? Is it fixable by changing Cura's settings? Or, is it a hardware limitation?

20160404_191006.jpg

20160404_191041.jpg

20160404_191106.jpg

Any ideas to improve PrintrBot Simple's print quality in general would be greatly appreciated!!

PS. I know some of you might have also replied to my other thread about the clogged hot end on the PrintrBot Play. I still haven't attempted to remove it. A segment of filament is clogged between the heat sink and heat break, 5mm into both sides of the hot end. I am not sure which way I should try to push through.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
itsmrtang

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Apr-Mon-20-Apr

Just guessing here... It looks like your Simple may have a bit of over-extrusion. Since you are using the same settings in your slicer and the same filament, we can rule out a problem with the specified filament diameter. But it's entirely possible for your Extruder calibration setting for one machine to be slightly different than the one for another machine. This setting is in EEPROM (see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2763). There have been many posts in this forum about setting the Extruder calibration accurately.

Also, it's entirely possible that the dynamics of the Simple are different from the Play - so you could try adjusting the EEPROM settings for Speed, Acceleration and Jerk (see viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10768&p=69391#p69391)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby itsmrtang » 2016-Apr-Tue-10-Apr

Thanks for all your replies! You guys are truly amazing.

So far, I have adjusted the Z home, extrusion, and print speed values. It is printing a bit better. I shall report more with pictures when I find out more.

As for printing extra bits here and there, I am still perplexed. I tried to print the Spool Spacer and I got some extra stuff.

What could cause the extra "antennae" to be printed on the Spool Spacer? They look as if they were part of the object, coming out at an angle. Even though I could snap them off easily, I am wondering whether this was a software or hardware issue?

20160404_110523.jpg

20160404_110444.jpg

I read somewhere about Cura putting infill outside of outer layers but I don't think it is exactly my problem (https://ultimaker.com/en/community/1053 ... ing-prints).

itsmrtang

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Apr-Tue-14-Apr

Those photos almost appear to me as bridging. I do not know why they would be bridging for that print. But just in case what does Cura have set for bridging?

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Apr-Tue-15-Apr

I've seen that exact thing many times. It seems to be where the printhead moves across an empty space "without extruding" - but there's a tiny bit of ooze or dribble from the nozzle. So very fine threads get pulled out, and then they break off and snap back, sticking to the built-up wing that forms. I guess you could play with retraction settings, but the modern extruders don't let you retract very much because of their very short melt zones. I guess another feature available in some slicers is "wipe" where the printhead is moved back along the path it just extruded to try to wipe off this ooze before it moves out into the empty space. I have not experimented with this, as the little threads and wings are so easy to trim off.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby itsmrtang » 2016-Apr-Tue-18-Apr

Thanks for replying!

The little "wings" just seem so strange to build themselves up so consistently, making them look like parts of the design. Below is how clean it supposed to look like (from Printrbot). By the way, where do we set Cura's bridging paramenters? I am using 15.04.4 and I could not find Bridging in basic, advanced, or expert setting.

Bm3GES4sCUAflDWd.jpg

itsmrtang

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Apr-Tue-19-Apr

Bridging is when you intentionally want to create a level shelf that connects on both ends, for example a bridge, or a flat roof on a house. See the picture here. The first filaments of plastic that cross the gap between supports are literally hanging in air - and to get them as straight as possible Slic3r allows you to adjust the feed rate, the flow rate, and the fan speed just for bridges. Perhaps Cura doesn't have parameters specifically for bridging. (I'm not quite sure why bbrown mentioned bridging because your picture certainly doesn't show it.)

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2016-Apr-Tue-22-Apr

Cura 15.04 doesn't have bridging parameters like other slicers.

The way to lessen stringing like that is to increase your retraction, increase your travel speed, or tweak your hot end temperature. There's a limit to how much retraction you can set without causing jamming, bumping travel speed can help a lot (much thinner strings when they happen), or drop your temperature a bit so the plastic is less fluid and doesn't ooze out during retraction. There are of course pros and cons to all those changes....

MartyS
Solid infill...

Postby PxT » 2016-Apr-Wed-12-Apr

If you're using the Ubis 13 hotend then retraction should be less than 1mm. I think 0.7mm is the default in Printrbot's Cura profile. They set the retraction speed to 45 but it's probably safe to go higher. You want it to be as fast as you can without losing steps. Try 60 to start.

Lower your print temperature a few degrees at a time and see what difference that makes. 210 may be too hot for some PLA, and just right for others. When you're printing relatively slowly (45mm/s) you don't need the nozzle to be as hot as you would if you were going faster.

You will probably have to make several test prints to check the results and it's good practice to only change one parameter at a time, if you have the patience for it. Your travel speed of 70 is already relatively fast for the Simple, so I would leave that one alone for now.

Thingiverse has a number of retraction torture test models that are a good test for this phenomenon. Ex: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:909901

PxT
Print complete...

Postby itsmrtang » 2016-Apr-Fri-11-Apr

again, thank you everybody for your suggestions!

i have been tweaking the settings and finally got some better printouts ~

20160415_104528.jpg

20160415_104459.jpg

here are the things i tried:

1) calibrating z and e values
2) slowing down print speed*
3) increasing bottom/top thickness
4) attaching fan shroud
5) adjusting temperature (mostly lowing, but it is filament dependent)
6) selecting "infill prints after perimeters"*

* are the keys to get my simple to print decent outputs

much appreciated, everyone!!

itsmrtang

Postby PxT » 2016-Apr-Fri-11-Apr

Much better! Looking really good.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby ThereWillBprints2 » 2016-Aug-Tue-23-Aug

The filament temp after speed is my #1 go to for fixing quality issues. Regardless of how new/old the filament is I always suggest cleaning the length used for the print and re-spooling the roll. This also cuts down on unravels and too much tension as prints are going about their routine. I would lastly like to know if you are using the standard hot end tip size or one of the other sizes available. Typically all tips have a limitation when it comes to extruding. A .2mm tip will do details like no other but a large print will cost you a day of your time. Likewise if you have a .7mm tip and do the same model you will notice that some details are better than others. The tip along with proper model choice after proper settings, have a notebook each time, will add detail to your prints you never thought possible. Good Luck, keep printing!

ThereWillBprints2
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Archimedes24 » 2018-Apr-Sat-12-Apr

itsmrtang wrote:again, thank you everybody for your suggestions!

i have been tweaking the settings and finally got some better printouts ~

20160415_104528.jpg

20160415_104459.jpg

here are the things i tried:

1) calibrating z and e values
2) slowing down print speed*
3) increasing bottom/top thickness
4) attaching fan shroud
5) adjusting temperature (mostly lowing, but it is filament dependent)
6) selecting "infill prints after perimeters"*

* are the keys to get my simple to print decent outputs

much appreciated, everyone!!

I realize this post is 2 years old. But on the off chance you're still involved in the forum, I'd love to know what you slowed the printing speed down to, and what top and bottom thicknesses you used. Any data on which filaments do best at which temperatures?

Thanks!

Printrbot Simple Metal
Ubis 13S Hot End
Matrix Precision 8810 XYZ (204/204/254)
ATX Power Supply
F5 Controller Board
Heated Bed
Cura 15.04.2
Archimedes24

Return to Project troubleshooting