Who has PLAY v2 hands on experience??

Postby novice » 2018-Jun-Tue-09-Jun

Been waiting to make a Play v2 kit purchase for several reasons. First and foremost was awaiting a Memorial Day sale which never came this year.....Aside from that it seems new printrbot models are often followed shortly thereafter with revisions or improvements.

Wondering if anyone here has assembled a Play v2 yet and if so are build photos to assist in construction out there somewhere? Couldn't help but notice the official shown example appears to have a Simple Pro hacked shroud shown covering the print head, do the production models also or have they cleaned up the trimming required on that piece? For anyone who has a heated bed, are you finding the magnets have adverse influence on bed height probing?

6/22 40+ views and no one has any experience with the new model Play v2 they're willing to share, seriously?

novice
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who has PLAY v2 hands on experience??

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Jul-Sat-14-Jul

We're mostly older model Printrbot users, so it's not surprising that there's anybody here who's bought a Play v2. Brook brought a potential new model to a maker fair/con/show/whatever in the last few weeks, a relabeled oriental printer, to try and keep a presence in the low-end market. That makes the Play V2 purchase decision harder, how will it compare to the latest bargain price model?

Despite a lot of digging I was unable to find the reference. It was at a show/conference with a name similar to ERIF (which doesn't seem to be exactly it), and the topic came by on one of my Feedly RSS feeds.

In the Play V2's price range I'd be taking a close look at the Prusa i3 MK3. Sure, it's (up to) 50% more, but it's a far better printer and less likely to end up in the back of the top shelf of your closet. On the really low end I'd consider the two least expensive Monoprice models.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jul-Sat-22-Jul

It sounds like the Ender 3 is a heck of a printer for $200.

Personally, I like to go with industry leaders like the Prusa I3 MK3. Prusa is pushing the industry forward with innovation and new features. Joseph Prusa mentioned in the last few days that the lead time to get an MK3 shipped is finally down to less than a week.

My brother bought a FlashForge Finder a couple of weeks ago. This isn't my type of printer with all of it's proprietary hardware/software. The main problem I have with printers like this is that when they break you are reliant on a Chinese company to make the proprietary parts available. With a design like the MK3, it's quite likely that you could still be using it in 20 years, you can't say that about something like the FlashForge Finder.

cbxbiker61
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby novice » 2018-Jul-Sun-08-Jul

Gosh you're kinda late there Moose, I ordered a Play v2 kit earlier this month, intend to assemble when the snow flies. Been satisfied with 2 Simple Metals and have said in the past they should have upgraded it with linear rails, gearhead extruder, and the 13s...rather than drop it after introducing the simple Pro when they did. Then it dawned on me they essentially did with a heavier frame in the the Play v2. Looked at the Prusa forums beforehand and then backed away from that idea. Think if you look here http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=11760 you'll see some discussion regarding what was seen setting next to Brook at ERRF, I've yet to see anything to indicate he'll actually proceed with that or for that matter intended to. Ironically, to me it looks like a FlashForge Finder, which which was just mentioned by cbxbiker61 as having been bought by his brother, perhaps he can tell if it is?

novice
I'm an end stop.

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Jul-Sun-09-Jul

Looks like a Finder to me.

cbxbiker61

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Jul-Sun-14-Jul

novice wrote:Gosh you're kinda late there Moose

Been busy, 5 weeks out of town including a nice visit with RJ. Decided the Mooseshop needed some expansion so we're about to close on a winter house (they call that snowbirding up here, although snow moosing might be more appropriate) on an island outside of Ft. Meyers FL. Alas, caved to Mrs. Moose and skipped the place with the 40x40 shop with 100A electric service and ended up with a far nicer house and smallish 2 car garage. It's on over an acre so perhaps there's a new shop building in my future.

smacks forehead ERRF! Missed it by just over a week, we were babysitting the new mooselet (5 months old on the 15th) in Baltimore but started driving south the week before. Squeakies's mom conned us into looking at houses in the same general area as Bel Air, in the hopes she'd get more free babysitting, but we decided that moving from great summers/tough winters to steaming summers/great winters was a better choice than steaming summers/icy winters. She's welcome to mail the kid, though I don't think that works any more.

Interestingly (or maybe it's a subconscious moose requirement), there's great swamps near both houses although I think our northern mosquitoes are far more powerful. Climate change researcher daughter is not pleased but she's willing to come hang out by the pool.

Looking forwards to that Play V2 review, winter's not that far off :(

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Jul-Sun-14-Jul

At least we kicked up @novice's thread a bit :)

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby novice » 2018-Jul-Mon-09-Jul

At this point still waiting on the Play v2 to ship.

Wait a minute..... I watch Discovering (906 Outdoors) and Michigan Out-Of-Doors every week and they've never said a peep about steaming summers up north. Are you sure they're anything other than idyllic?

Had a coworker who retired same as I two years ago build a house in Punta Gorda. He likes to tell me how enjoyable winters are down there. Yet every time I look at the housing density on satellite maps of the region... I can't help but think he underplays what winter traffic down there is really like.

novice
I'm an end stop.

Postby ChefScott » 2018-Jul-Mon-11-Jul

Mooselake wrote:... on an island outside of Ft. Meyers FL.

Sanibel/Captiva or Marco?

ChefScott

Postby novice » 2018-Jul-Mon-13-Jul

ChefScott wrote:Sanibel/Captiva or Marco?

You got me all in suspense now, are there one+ acre lots on those islands?

novice
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Jul-Mon-16-Jul

Pine

Marco is south of Naples IIRC, Sanibel is further out than Pine Island. Plus Sanibel has beaches instead of mangrove trees and mango orchards (Mango Mania was last weekend), wall to wall high rises, and is way spendier

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Jul-Mon-17-Jul

Baltimore has steaming summers, ours only has an occasional hot day although it was in the 90s some of last week. Almost dug the AC out of the back of the attic storage room.

One of my oldest daughter(and grandbaby mommy)'s first phrases was "Thursday night time for Michigan Outdoors". Different but similar to Michigan Out of Doors.

My kid brother lives across the Peace River from Punta Gorda in a house with a boat lift, normal suburban density. Pine Island is still mostly rural and all 3 story or less; this house is one story and one street over from a mango farm. Mrs. Moose bought a 5 gallon bucket full to bring home

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby novice » 2018-Jul-Mon-20-Jul

Mooselake wrote:...One of my oldest daughter(and grandbaby mommy)'s first phrases was "Thursday night time for Michigan Outdoors". Different but similar to Michigan Out of Doors...

I don't know if it's Fred Trost or just being as young as I was back then that I miss. Do know that we rarely missed one of his shows.

Got my email today, Play v2 kit has shipped.

novice
I'm an end stop.

Postby JKraus04 » 2018-Jul-Fri-07-Jul

I’m asking the same thing. Today my Play V2 is coming in, it’s sad, I will probably have one of the last 3D printer that Printrbot ever produces. I need to find at least two A360 files.

JKraus04
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby novice » 2018-Jul-Fri-15-Jul

JKraus04 wrote:I’m asking the same thing. Today my Play V2 is coming in, it’s sad, I will probably have one of the last 3D printer that Printrbot ever produces. I need to find at least two A360 files.

Well it's here, never having seen any version of the Play in person, I think all the parts are present based on quick check off against parts list. Still uncertain what a few stamped pieces are. The 13s came with a .4mm tip and the F6 board came already mounted and unfortunately with the mini USB plug. Actually a few of the painted chassis pieces appear to have been previously assembled based on the screw holes. Now I need to find a few good up close photos of what any version of the Play looks like assembled for orientation.

novice
I'm an end stop.

Postby novice » 2018-Jul-Sat-09-Jul

When I made the prior post, was unaware build instructions for the Play (linear rods) still existed for download. For anyone else who may be assembling one of the last Play v2 kits, this could be a good reference guide. http://docplayer.net/24101170-Assembling-the-printrbot-play-kit-model-1505.html

novice
I'm an end stop.

Return to General