Magic "mirror" button??

Problems with your print or projects? talk here

Magic "mirror" button??

Postby snatchesandsubarus » 2017-Feb-Mon-13-Feb

Here I was all excited to be just about ready to assemble my printed, upgraded printer frame when I realized something was just a little off.... the Z axis rod mounts on the ZBox were on the wrong side. Not knowing how it happened I got pretty frustrated because at this point my old Simple Makers Kit is completely disassembled so I could transfer the motors and parts to my new awesomeness but now I need to put everything back together just to reprint the "zbox" part. ;(

My question is how could this of happened? All I did was downloaded the .stl imported it into Repetier and hit print. Could I have done something more? An issue with the slicr? I am pretty new to this so it every well may have been user error.

Closeup.jpeg

Withrods.jpeg

Insta.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snatchesandsubarus
Waiting to connect to printer...

Magic "mirror" button??

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Magic "mirror" button??

Postby PxT » 2017-Feb-Mon-16-Feb

Not sure what we're looking at here. What did you print? Is this an STL you got from somewhere? If so let us take a look at the file so we can see what it is "supposed" to look like.
Some slicers do have a mirror function. What software are you using?

PxT
Print complete...

Postby IB3D » 2017-Feb-Mon-18-Feb

If it is this design http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:442636/#files , the model appears to be correct. If I understand correctly you used RepetierHost to print this, which entailed slicing with Cura? Slic3r? I believe it is possible to mirror an object with either of those; is it possible you inadvertently selected that feature?

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby snatchesandsubarus » 2017-Feb-Mon-20-Feb

Yes IB3D, that is where I got the STL file from and yes I printed using RepetierHost slicing with Slic3r.

I don't think I could have selected that feature as I have printed many things before and after that piece all through the same steps that came out normal. Not saying that it isn't possible because I have had some troubleshooting and changing settings here and there to tweak things.

It is kind of sounding like I clicked the mirror button but didn't know if there was any other possibilities.

snatchesandsubarus

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Feb-Mon-21-Feb

I pulled that part down from Thingiverse and looked at it with Netfabb. I rotated it to match the orientation in your first picture, but I did not mirror-reflect it - only rotated it. It does look like somehow you inadvertently mirror-reflected the part.
ZMotorMount.PNG

By the way, John Lawrence is really an amazing designer. I think he was giving us beautiful designs here while looking for a job that would use his skills, and now he has that job; he hasn't posted here in over a year. We sure miss him, and hope that his job now is really, really rewarding and satisfying.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby snatchesandsubarus » 2017-Feb-Tue-12-Feb

Awesome, Thanks for the input guys! I probably clicked the mirror setting inadvertently and didn't even know it. Guess I will live and learn. I think I am most upset that it was my first more complex print and the quality came out great, minus the flippage lol

snatchesandsubarus

Return to Project troubleshooting