Linear Bearing replacement

If you need a printed part, post here and hopefully someone will oblige. Be sure to post your location (city, state/province, country)

Postby rcrescencio » 2013-Feb-Tue-17-Feb

Where can I get extra bearings? On a couple of my bearings the balls fell off.

Thanks,

rcrescencio
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Linear Bearing replacement

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Feb-Tue-19-Feb

eBay.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Feb-Wed-15-Feb

Where are you located, I can ship some your way if you are close. I'm in CA.

And to clarify, are are looking for LM8UU? or the larger LM12UU? I only have LM8UU since I have a PB Original.

edited to reflect LM12UU in lieu of LM10UU

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Feb-Wed-16-Feb

The larger would be LM12UU.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Feb-Wed-18-Feb

I'm in Oregon and 6 - 8mm lmu bearings stolen. Anyone know of a good place besides eBay. My PayPal acct is not working. Thanks. Oh ya and I don't have much cash so nothing crazy expensive.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Feb-Wed-18-Feb

REPRAP SQUAD wrote:I'm in Oregon and 6 - 8mm lmu bearings stolen

Stolen from where? I can send you 6 for $10 + whatever shipping (USPS small padded envelope). Let me know and PM me your address if you want.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Feb-Wed-22-Feb

My roommate apparently had a party while I was out of town and my valuables went missing. Including some parts and some cash.

Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby javierdiaz » 2013-Mar-Fri-19-Mar

Hey, I also need 2 LM8UU 8X15X24, I'm at mexico city

javierdiaz

Postby frank133 » 2013-Dec-Thu-13-Dec

Try look up linear bearings at Motion Marketplace

Frankie Yepez
Motion Marketplace
frank133

Postby TutherJay » 2014-Aug-Thu-14-Aug

mdfast1 wrote:
REPRAP SQUAD wrote:I'm in Oregon and 6 - 8mm lmu bearings stolen

Stolen from where? I can send you 6 for $10 + whatever shipping (USPS small padded envelope). Let me know and PM me your address if you want.

Yesterday I came to realize just what TRASH I've been running for my 12mm Z-rod bearings! They're simply AWFUL, and have turned out to be the source of my frustrating failure to be able to print ANYTHING for some MONTHS now! Thanks to something RJ pointed out, I took a look/feel and discovered that, though a serious spray lubing and working up/down a gazillion times made them somewhat better (actually got ONE SUCCESSFUL PRINT -- FINALLY!!!) they really need to be replaced. Are you deep in twelves? I understand that there are two CLOSE relatives - where OD is either 22 or 23, and I'll have to measure mine, but I came across this and just HAD TO ASK ? ? ? ?

Thanx

TutherJay
PrintRbot+ v2 built from kit, hatched Sept 9, 2013
PowerTower & RPi/OctoPrint kits added
Repetier/Slic3r mostly; sometimes RPi:OctoPrint
1.75mm via direct drive gear head extruder
(temporarily abandoning Bowden mod - Bridge wouldn't fit thru)
E3D v5 hotend w/ Volcano Eruption upgrade
Stock LC ply bed now adjusted by 3 points, not 4
6mm heated glass (non-borosilicate) (now missing divot from BluPrint adhering TOO well)
<sigh>
TutherJay
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Aug-Thu-21-Aug

Which ones do you have lme12uu or lm12uu. I've noticed a huge difference in rod quality lately. Now I'm essentially only buying from Tacoma Screw. Top notch rods.

PC Case Mods 3D printed:

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby mechanizedmedic » 2014-Aug-Fri-08-Aug

REPRAP SQUAD wrote:Which ones do you have lme12uu or lm12uu. I've noticed a huge difference in rod quality lately. Now I'm essentially only buying from Tacoma Screw. Top notch rods.

I drive by their store on Columbia Blvd all the time. What are their prices like for rods?

"Metal shavings are my glitter"
blog.mechanizedmedic.org
mechanizedmedic

Postby TutherJay » 2014-Aug-Fri-18-Aug

REPRAP SQUAD wrote:Which ones do you have lme12uu or lm12uu.

By context, I guess you're asking me, so --

Apparently I have the LME12UUs - 4 of them - as the end-to-end pair that I could get to without dismantling things measured ~64mm. AFAIK this would indicate the lmE variant, which measures 12x22x32, as compared to the lm SANS "e" which would be 12x21x30.

Can't understand WHY mine are such trash, as I have always been VERY careful about inserting/reinserting the rods thereinto. Don't SEE any indication that I'm missing any little BBs.

Oh well - are you sitting on a stash and offering some for sale, or what??

Thanx

TutherJay
6mm heated glass (non-borosilicate) (now missing divot from BluPrint adhering TOO well)
<sigh>
TutherJay

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Aug-Sat-17-Aug

I wish I had a stash. I have 4 of them as spares for my dual e plus. At one time I was thinking about trading them for some lm12uu because I have a custom aluminum milled setup that was accidentally milled to the older pb lm12uu specs.

I've been real happy with the lme122uu that I bought from Printrbot about a year ago.

PC Case Mods 3D printed:

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Aug-Sat-17-Aug

mechanizedmedic wrote:
REPRAP SQUAD wrote:Which ones do you have lme12uu or lm12uu. I've noticed a huge difference in rod quality lately. Now I'm essentially only buying from Tacoma Screw. Top notch rods.

I drive by their store on Columbia Blvd all the time. What are their prices like for rods?

That's the one I sometimes go to. I got US equivalent of 12mm rods there for about $26 for like 3 or 4 feet. Great stuff! I have a business acct with them so I'm not sure if there's a price difference without one or not. You can always call or setup a biz acct if you know neone with a biz.

PC Case Mods 3D printed:

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby TutherJay » 2014-Sep-Thu-15-Sep

Um - reality check here.

Seems to me, pretty much intuitively but not too illogical, that if these things could just get the proper clean and lube, they'd operate smoothly. I mean, mine are AWFUL, but they're maybe halfway improved since I TRIED to spray lubricant into them and work them on the rod. I've always been careful when starting them onto a rod, as that warning was out there somewhere when I was building my kit. So when this got my att'n again, I looked carefully at the little beggars, and don't SEE anything missing. Could I be fooled, I wonder?

Well, what about total submersion and working on a rod? Anyone have success with such an approach, or is this just one of those things that has slipped past the QC inspector in Taiwan, and needs simply to be replaced?

What I'm envisioning is something akin to bearing packers like for wheel bearings (like back in HS shop, y'know? Oh - that was before your time, I bet.) but with the appropriate viscosity.

Who's to say the next set I get will be any better??? Haven't you heard of Murphy's Law ? ? ? Just what did you think the "m" is for, anyway?

jm

TutherJay
<sigh>
TutherJay

Postby plexus » 2014-Sep-Thu-15-Sep

My next printer upgrade is replacing the XZ with a linear rail and bushings. I have a PB+. I have already replaced Y with a linear rain which uses flate sheet bushings. its super great. I want to put the same linear rail on X and replace the 12mm bearings with bushings. I have all the parts including the bushings its just a matter of designing the parts and printing them. it will be a fair amoint of work. maybe a winter project.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Sep-Thu-16-Sep

IMHO, the #1 cause of noisy and rough linear bearings is that - when you have two bearings with parallel rods - the rods passing through the bearings are not spaced correctly. These bearings are trying their darndest to hold the rod in position within microns, and if your assembly is insisting that the rods to be a few microns closer together, or farther apart, or twisted relative to the plane of the bearings, then the bearings complain mightily. You are creating very large lateral forces on the bearings if the rods are not spaced exactly right.

At least this is what was happening on my 'bot. YMMV.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby EddB » 2014-Sep-Thu-19-Sep

I try to keep all my rods as clean as possible. X rods/bearings build up dirt on the extra greese on the rod ends rapidly. Out of site is out of mind.
Anyhlw, I saw the video from PB showing how to use hairspray on the PB Simple Metal bed to assist ABS to stick to the bed.

Hair Spray Adhesive for ABS with the Printrbot Si…: http://youtu.be/WvvBX3LQ5As

I used to use a glue table for spray glue to attach patterns to wood for scrolling. The overspray grew so thick against the sacrificial cardboard and acted like a magnet to dirt, sawdust and dog hair (no dog there!).
The video made me cringe since the hairspray was sprayed directly on the printer bed. Bed was cleaned and sprayed before each print. Hairspray is a water soluable adhesive and will do the same thing. Build up adhesive from overspray, dirt and hair real quick.
For some reason I thought beople were taking a glass (or other) bed off their printer, spraying it and then put it back on to print. That's what I would do for that method. Otherwise the printer, rods and bearings are getting an overspray of hairspray as well.
I'm not saying this is what happened to anyone's specific printer, but talk of the faulty bearings reminded me of this. Keep em greased and clean.
Ed

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Postby TutherJay » 2014-Sep-Thu-21-Sep

Reminds me of a small radio station I used to run, where they had applied their own egg-carton shaped foam sound deadening all around the studio rooms, stuck w/ two plus one M spray adhesive. Problem is, the ceiling kept coming loose, and they had repeatedly attempted to stick it back up w/ the spray. Never occurred to them that all the electronic equipment, computers and otherwise, had fans running and, as they didn't bother to ventilate appropriately, managed to inspire amazing amounts of STICKY GOODNESS!!!

So perhaps I will find some minor amusement w/ the video you suggest - if and when I need my spirits buoyed.

Thanks, though, for waving the red flag, for those to whom this applies!!!!

(So I don't suppose YOUR ball team being in OUR yard tomorrow means anything in YOUR life, does it? You wear a blue cap???)

TutherJay
<sigh>
TutherJay

Postby thawkins » 2014-Sep-Thu-22-Sep

TutherJay wrote:Reminds me of a small radio station I used to run, where they had applied their own egg-carton shaped foam sound deadening all around the studio rooms, stuck w/ two plus one M spray adhesive. Problem is, the ceiling kept coming loose, and they had repeatedly attempted to stick it back up w/ the spray. Never occurred to them that all the electronic equipment, computers and otherwise, had fans running and, as they didn't bother to ventilate appropriately, managed to inspire amazing amounts of STICKY GOODNESS!!!

So perhaps I will find some minor amusement w/ the video you suggest - if and when I need my spirits buoyed.

Thanks, though, for waving the red flag, for those to whom this applies!!!!

(So I don't suppose YOUR ball team being in OUR yard tomorrow means anything in YOUR life, does it? You wear a blue cap???)

My home built printer uses felt for bearings, and curtain rail for rods, its using 1/2inch stainless steel rods, with printed bearings, i use fabric glue to glue felt to the inside of the bearing casings, and keep them soaked in light machine oil, the vertical bearings have an integrated resovoir in the design with a small bleed hole that has a felt wick pushed through it, so that i can keep a small puddle of oil in the top.

The curtain rail is just cut with a grinder, i have a printed "plug" that goes into the end of the tube, and a 2inch long 1/8th inch bolt that both spreads the plug, and anchors the rod firmly to the part its connecting to.

Its amaziningly strong and rigid, you have to take the bolt out at least half way before it will seperate, on the bearing side, there is slightly more reistance to starting motion than i would get with a ball race bearing, but once its moving its a smooth as silk, and virtualy no play.

Its also scary cheap.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby TutherJay » 2014-Sep-Fri-12-Sep

?didn't anyone ever tell you "you can't do that!" ???

TutherJay
<sigh>
TutherJay

Postby thawkins » 2014-Sep-Fri-23-Sep

TutherJay wrote:?didn't anyone ever tell you "you can't do that!" ???

Yes, but i had my fingers in my ears and i was saying "LALALALALALALALALALA" at the top of my voice.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro