[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Printrboard firmware

Printrboard firmware

Code hacking talk

Printrboard firmware

Postby plexus » 2013-Mar-Thu-20-Mar

Placeholder for a thread for posting firmware files.

plexus
Site Admin

Printrboard firmware

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrboard firmware

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Mar-Thu-21-Mar

The hex file with the build limit change commands, ie what they did for the big Z mod, is all I'm after.
I've got longer rods and want a larger Z to start.
I've also got a 8" heated bed so I can expand X & Y too, but that doesn't need the firmware.
Also considering a double deep Y with two beds.

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby PxT » 2013-Mar-Fri-10-Mar

I have posted the firmware for the PB Jr which Brook provided to me.
See my github at https://github.com/PxT/Marlin or direct link: https://raw.github.com/PxT/Marlin/maste ... re.cpp.hex

I am working on getting the corresponding source branch as well and I will post it when I have it.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby PxT » 2013-Mar-Fri-10-Mar

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jun-Thu-21-Jun

A while ago lwalkera produced a few iterations of the firmware which I tested for him.

He got to one which I thought had the right settings for the printrbot and with the new G codes to set the build limits. e.g. for extended Z axis

I was hoping it would get posted on the printrbot.com site, but... <stops holding breath>

So, see attached Zipped .hex file. Insert NOT-My-Fault Legal waiver here...

To load:

Download and install FLIP with JRE (http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx)
Connect Printrboard USB (Windows [at least my W7/64] will not find a driver)
Remove Bootloader Jumper in centre of board (for Rev A-C, for Rev D add jumper)
Push Reset
Windows will fail to load a driver
Use Device Manager to load drivers from Program Files(x86)\AMTEL\Flip 3.4.7\usb (took longer than I expected)
Windows recognises board
Run Flip
Device/Select AT90USB1286
Setting/Communication/USB - Click Open
Check Blank Check box (Erase, Program, Verify should already be checked)
Click Run
(a few dialogue boxes later)
Close FLIP
Replace Boot Jumper (or remove for Rev D)
Press Reset

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby drawcut » 2013-Jun-Fri-17-Jun

Glad to see people are still working on the firmware. I was going to try compiling Laine's limitsaving source but I wasn't so sure when I looked at one of the source files it had the board type set for something other than the Printrboard. Since I wasn't sure what else might be different, I decided to edit the default Printrboard source for larger build area and compile and flash that. It worked fine (after a couple of stumbles with the instructions).

Michael@oz: does your .hex file have the board type set for Printrboard or does that even matter?

ETA:
And to be clear: in Laine's limitsaving firmware: M210 sets the minimum axis values and M211 set the maximum axis values in the same format as M208 in standard (non-Marlin) G-code works? Right? I've never seen that directly stated but I think that's how it works from looking a Laine's source code.

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jun-Sun-01-Jun

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby FherraZ » 2013-Jul-Mon-22-Jul

Hi there guys, I did a self made Z tall mod and loaded this firmware, but Z does not go beyond it's original limit and now my X does not work right, it does not home or goes left, it only goes right.

Any advice?

FherraZ
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Mon-22-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Mon-22-Jul

also, was your Printrboard from printbot.com or elsewhere?

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby FherraZ » 2013-Jul-Mon-22-Jul

FherraZ

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Tue-02-Jul

That is the file I have on my Printboard and it works OK.

Did you unplug stuff to load the firmware? Check plugs/polarity.

Try resetting the board after manually homing (or unhoming?) the Y-axis, I seem to recall some issues there (but not for me).

Also you may need to re-do the steps/mm calibration g-codes if you don't have that in g-code in your slicer.

The old Firmware is on the printrbot.com support page if you want to revert.

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Tue-02-Jul

Oops overlap with your last post.

M210 AFAIK should not be needed if you home to 0,0,0.
I think some people have a purge cutout for extruding pre-printing (eg reprap mendal), hence want the printable area to be > 0 home spot, (I think...)

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby FherraZ » 2013-Jul-Tue-12-Jul

OK, thank you for clarifying that, about the steps, I changed the original threaded rods for 5mm ones, so I don't have to make so much calculations :D

FherraZ

Postby JonS » 2013-Jul-Tue-14-Jul

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Tue-22-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby lwalkera » 2013-Jul-Tue-23-Jul

Those of us who mainly work on the firmware (myself, PxT, and Caleb) all have day jobs or school to contend with. We don't work for PB full time, and would appreciate a little understanding before bringing out the pitch-forks and torches. ;) We're working on it as fast as we can and should have something out soon that should support all bots and accessories like the LCD and Extrudrboard. We wanted to fix some of the bugs and get everything at least a little tested before putting it all out there so that we minimize the chance the firmware will cause your bot to burst into flames. Over the past two to three weeks, I've probably exchanged 20 or 30 e-mails between Brook and Caleb trying to get the firmware situation situated. It may not look like anything is happening, but it is.
The hex files I've been sending out have been a courtesy to get some of the less technical people printing with their bots. Posts like the previous make me want to revisit that decision.

Laine Walker-Avina
Printrbot Beta-tester and Printrboard Designer
lwalkera
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Tue-23-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Tue-23-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Wed-00-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Wed-20-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby rswarner » 2013-Jul-Wed-22-Jul

Well, I am unable to make the new LCD-Extrudr f/w work. I am using Flip in Windows 7. I can get the LCD to display the menu. From the LCD and from Repetier Host, I can command temperatures and the X axis, but the Y and Z axes are unresponsive. Once I try to home either Y or Z, the commands stack up in Repetier, and then Repetier becomes unresponsive. I have flashed back to the Plus+ f/w from the same list on today's News item, and I'm back to full function.

This is with a Plus V1 kit, Printrboard Rev D, only one extruder installed.

Printrbot+
Y platform mods
Aluminum faced 1/2" EPS insulation under print bed
GT2 pulleys and belts
This filament guide thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35799
rswarner
Levelling print bed...

Postby lwalkera » 2013-Jul-Thu-00-Jul

Here's a draft of the unified firmware that I've been working on. It should have support for the LCD, Extrudrboard, and EEPROM limit saving. Let me know if there are any issues and I'll try to fix them before I push them up to Github. The hex is at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i49obd1d99ka7 ... ied-v1.hex The files used for this hex are here: https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin

Laine Walker-Avina
Printrbot Beta-tester and Printrboard Designer
lwalkera
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby drawcut » 2013-Jul-Thu-17-Jul

Glad to see the updates. Thanks.

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Thu-20-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby rswarner » 2013-Jul-Thu-21-Jul

Yes, thank you! I'll give it a try tonight as well.

Printrbot+
Y platform mods
Aluminum faced 1/2" EPS insulation under print bed
GT2 pulleys and belts
This filament guide thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35799
rswarner
Levelling print bed...

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Thu-21-Jul

Results - for Printrbot Original

edit/

moved to keep this thread a bit pure to topic.

/edit

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Fri-16-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Makenificent » 2013-Jul-Fri-19-Jul

Hello,

I've had great success using the Marlin-Limitsave-v4 posted by Michael with my Printrbot Jr. I modded my jr to increase the x axis by another 30mm or so, but was unable to move beyond 145mm.

The only issue was the Y-axis was inverted. So, I simply switched the wiring to reverse step a/b order. (orange,black,red,yellow ---> yellow, red, black,orange). The forum won't let me post urls yet, but you can search for Teensylu-0.6.pdf to find the pinout.

Everything else was in order. Thanks so much for posting this hex. I think my printer works better than ever!

Makenificent

Postby Marco L » 2013-Jul-Mon-14-Jul

Hi i'm quite new to 3d printing but not to SW engineering (15yrs). I have been fooling around with the firmware for my "auto bed leveling" hack on my JR.
But I have some questions to the developers in this thread like lwalkera.
Why is it that in every firmware out there I see the "DISABLE_Z = true" is there a specific reason? Because my gut feeling says that would actually be a bad
idea but, maybe i'm missing something?
And did i read correctly that you said there is a mayor problem in the printrboard firmware? Can you please tell me what the problem is, maybe i can help...
I am quite experienced in trouble shooting i work on embedded hard-realtime systems (i'm not trying to imply i can fix anything ;).

Marco L

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Mon-17-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Mon-17-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Marco L » 2013-Jul-Mon-18-Jul

Marco L

Postby Michael@Oz » 2013-Jul-Mon-19-Jul

Image original.
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby elkniwt » 2013-Jul-Wed-14-Jul

I've been unable to work the kinks out of the limitsaving firmware, plus I've noticed that it seems based on an older version of the main firmware. Instead, I forked the official (as of 7/31/13) printrbot firmware here: https://github.com/Elkniwt/Marlin

and have recompiled a modded version (here: https://github.com/Elkniwt/Marlin/blob/ ... wt.cpp.hex ) that adds the M208 command (set axis max travel), as opposed to the M210 and M211 commands that limitsaving had. The limits should save and restore from EEPROM properly. I've seen some quirks using repetierHost's GUI option for saving to EEPROM, but I think its mostly usable.

Don't forget to record the results of M503 before flashing firmware, to save all your calibration preferences (which can then be written back later once you reapply them manually and do a M500).

The format of the M208 command is (e.g.,):

M208 X392 Y92 Z75

where the X, Y, and Z arguments are all optional.

elkniwt
Levelling print bed...

Postby bjao1 » 2013-Aug-Mon-20-Aug

hello elkniwt

I have a simple prinrboard rev D. I was wondering if your recompiled modded version that adds the M208 command, will work on my board. I have built a printer that has 16"x16"x16", and just found out the my simple printrboard will not go more the 100mm in all directions. I surely hope you can help me in this.

Thank you,
Robert

bjao1

Postby bjao1 » 2013-Aug-Tue-01-Aug

hello elkniwt

thank you
i loaded your mod hex file into my printrboard and it works

sincerly,
robert

bjao1

Postby IanY57 » 2013-Aug-Wed-20-Aug

PrintrBot JR - Built 6th August 2013

upgrades ready to be done
8mm z rod
GT2 belts and pulleys
IanY57
Loading filament...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Aug-Fri-18-Aug

Just marking for updates. Good stuff.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby elkniwt » 2013-Aug-Sun-16-Aug

elkniwt
Levelling print bed...

Postby JonS » 2013-Aug-Mon-00-Aug

Basic question: how to I derive the values for the M208 command (convert from mm, or whatever)?

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby elkniwt » 2013-Aug-Thu-09-Aug

elkniwt
Levelling print bed...

Postby JonS » 2013-Aug-Thu-11-Aug

Strange. It's not doing anything. Even when I put it silly values like Y0.01 I still get unbounded movement.

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby satovey » 2013-Dec-Mon-23-Dec

I would like to know the following regarding this discussion:

1. Which of the two links to the firmware update on this thread is the correct one?
There is one to printrbot/marlin and one to just marlin.

2. What language is the firmware written in?

3. Considering the fact that flashing a bios can kill a motherboard: does your firmware download contain sufficient instructions to insure I don't do something wrong and cause my printrbot to need a new board or is the board designed with a fail safe so this doesn't happen?

For the life of me, I can not figure out why anyone would design and sell a board that can be killed from a power outage during a firmware update. (input Homer Simpsons favorite exclamation here)

4. Does the firmware upgrade the file format from 8.3 to long file names?

I was seriously upset when I discovered that if I use longer file names than 8 characters the characters are truncated with the traditional tilde. Seriously, in the age long file names some genious and I use that term with extreme light headednes, decided to go to the old dos 8.3 standard and no one, not the geeks who designed the printrbot and sold it or anyone else bothered the mention that little tidbit of need to know information.

Thanks for the respose.

satovey

Postby PxT » 2013-Dec-Tue-16-Dec

There are lots of different firmwares floating around. The latest official Printrbot-supported one can always be found at https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/releases/latest

The firmware is primarily in C/C++. You can find the source at https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin

Flashing the firmware is pretty safe, I've done it a bunch of times and have yet to have a problem. The flash software does some verifications to prevent writing a bad image. If for some strange reason it does get corrupted, it's still possible to recover with an ISP programming cable which you can buy for a few dollars.

I don't use an SD card for printing so I don't know for sure but from a quick glance at the source it looks like long file names are supported. Did you format your card as FAT32?

PxT
Print complete...

Postby satovey » 2013-Dec-Wed-15-Dec

Thanks for responding.

Just checked the micro SD card and yes, it is formated as FAT32.
If I remember correctly, what was and is the required drive format for the original firmware.
It (the firmware) just doesn't read more than the 8.3 format. Even odder, if more than 3
characters are entered as the file extention, it will truncate the file name.

The problem is in the firmware not the drive format which is why I would like to update the firmware.

Thanks for reposting the correct links, I'll bookmark them so I don't get confused again.

satovey

Postby thawkins » 2013-Dec-Thu-01-Dec

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby daewootech » 2014-Feb-Wed-03-Feb

I did everything successful, firmware update with unified V3, sent the code "M211 X130 Y219 Z200" to my printrbot LCv2 and X works, Y works but Z is capped out at 150, anyone get around this?

daewootech
Loading filament...

Postby elkniwt » 2014-Mar-Wed-12-Mar

elkniwt
Levelling print bed...

Return to Hack talk