Boro glass and GT2

This forum is for people and companies that are selling supplies of interest to 3D printer users ONLY.

Boro glass and GT2

Postby wd5gnr » 2013-Jan-Mon-22-Jan

I haven't done business with these people yet but they have boro float glass at a good price as well as 20T GT2 pulleys and belts:

http://trinitylabs.com/products/borosil ... -for-prusa

Any experiences?

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Boro glass and GT2

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Boro glass and GT2

Postby artem » 2013-Jan-Tue-11-Jan

Definitely pretty cool selection. I would also be curious to know if they are reliable.

artem
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby ezmobius » 2013-Jan-Sun-03-Jan

Full Disclosure I am the Founder/CEO/Hacker of TrinityLabs.com so I might be biased here.

But anything in the store online means it is in stock right now and we try very hard to ship all in stock items within 24 hours of the order being placed at least 5 days a week on weekdays when the post is open.

We have the biggest selection of borosilicate glass print beds in the most sizes and we have the best prices in the USA on borosilicate glass beds thanks to my former life as a borosilicate glass artist for more then 20 years now.

Our borosilicate print beds are garanteed to show up unbroken and we will continue to ship new ones until you get one that is undamaged for any shipments within the USA. And for the record we have had maybe 2 broken shipments out of many hundreds so far.

So take what I say with a grain of salt since I own the business and am obviously biased but give us a try and I promise you will not be dissapointed.

And if you have questions or comments you can always get to me directly at ez@trinitylabs or on my direct cell phone at 1-530-917-7815

Cheers-
-Ezra (AKA ezmobius)

ezmobius
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby wd5gnr » 2013-Jan-Sun-09-Jan

Thanks Erza and yes, nice selection of stuff. I had asked you about the pulley shafts and was impressed with your prompt response. My problem right now is that if I order them, you will ship them. If you ship them I will get them. When I get them I will think: Ok, my prints are looking good right now so I won't put these on until next week. That will last about an hour before I make an excuse to tear the machine down and install the new hardware. Then my print quality will go in the toilet again until I get everything dialed back in. So I'm trying to time my order better ;-)

Al Williams
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Jan-Sun-10-Jan

Eh - go for it. My prints improved dramatically when I switched to GT2 pulleys and belts.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby scantrontb » 2013-Jan-Mon-00-Jan

wd5gnr wrote:Thanks Erza and yes, nice selection of stuff. I had asked you about the pulley shafts and was impressed with your prompt response. My problem right now is that if I order them, you will ship them. If you ship them I will get them. When I get them I will think: Ok, my prints are looking good right now so I won't put these on until next week. That will last about an hour before I make an excuse to tear the machine down and install the new hardware. Then my print quality will go in the toilet again until I get everything dialed back in. So I'm trying to time my order better ;-)

AH!, the old "to upgrade, or NOT to upgrade, THAT is the Question!?" scenario... well, like you said, if you'll only last about an hour either way, you may as well get them if you're planning on getting them, then upgrade and do the other stuff you're coordinating time for all at once, whenever they arrive... :P

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby wd5gnr » 2013-Feb-Sun-16-Feb

Ok I ordered some boro glass and 2 GT pulleys. My guess is that the one length of belt should be enough to do both axis, but I'm not sure. Looks like about 320mm for they Y belt and maybe 640mm for the X. We'll see. Worst case, I'll just do one axis and order more belt.

I also ordered two ACME lead screws from an eBay seller so I'm getting ready to have a franken-printrbot I suppose. Not as tricked out as Plexus, of course, but you got to start somewhere ;-)

Al Williams
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby wd5gnr » 2013-Feb-Tue-12-Feb

Finally got time to install most of what I ordered from Trinity.

The boro glass is nice but I need to do a better job putting the Kapton on it (my fault).

I should have ordered 2 lengths of the GT2 belt. There is just not enough in a single piece or maybe there is if you could get just the right cut, but it is very close one way or the other and if you cut anything too short you are done. Because of this I only put the Y-axis belt on and I'm waiting for another belt.

The pulley fit well. My fault that I put it a little high and the belt was rubbing against the wood that holds the idler wheels. Not sure if that's why or if something else happened, but the pulley set screw was not grabbing and the belt was slipping badly. I redid it last night making sure the grub screw was tight and the pulley was set down further so the belt didn't rub. Seems to be great now.

Note the belt is significantly narrower than the originals. My custom belt clips were tight fits for the old belts and now they are huge for the GT2 belts. I cinched the belt with a zip tie to make sure it would stay in place and that seems ok.

So far, so good. Not sure I see much difference but with the X belt still stock hard to tell. The boro glass is nice because it is edged, and I _feel_ like it will do better on heat cycling, but honestly the glass I had cut at Lowe's was fine.

Still to go: the X belt. They shipped very fast the first time, so hopefully will get the new belt before I go on travel next week. I also am waiting on the Acme Z rods from eBay (not Trinity) and hope that the Delrin nuts fit in the carriage.

Al Williams
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby misellus » 2013-May-Mon-11-May

I ordered 2 GT2 pulleys and a length of belt. No problems.

I have a Plus and you definitely need 2 lengths of belt to do both axis.

m-

misellus
Levelling print bed...

Return to 3D printing merchants