H and H 3D Plastics 1.75 mm PLA Filament For Sale

This forum is for people and companies that are selling supplies of interest to 3D printer users ONLY.

Postby jhabich » 2015-Sep-Mon-11-Sep

H and H 3D Plastics
We are a filament manufacturer located in Indiana.
We currently have 1.75 mm PLA filament in Black, White, Grey, Natural, White and Translucent Orange.
For $19.99 for a 1 kg roll plus shipping. Shipping for one roll is $6 within the US (lower 48)
Green, Blue, Red, Pink and Light Blue coming soon.
We offer two spool sizes. 8 inch diameter and 6.5 inch diameter.
We use only the best virgin polymer for our filament.
Our plastic is thoroughly dried prior to extrusion and each roll is vacuum sealed with a desiccant within minutes of being wound.
Please visit our website for more information.

HH3Dplastics com

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhabich
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: H and H 3D Plastics 1.75 mm PLA Filament For Sale

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Mon-11-Sep

So you actually make your own filament rather than sourcing it from China (or some other domestic supplier, for that matter)?

We have periodic discussions about filament quality, melt temperatures, etc. Are you willing to discuss things like PLA and ABS mixes for our general edification, as well as for your product specifically? No dissing the other guys (skip "that imported floor sweeping cr*p" :) ) , preferably, but feel free to explain why yours is better. We get enough of that from the politicians :lol:

Seriously, it's hard to get any real general knowledge on just what our filament is, to be able to evaluate and compare it along with just general knowledge for the joy of learning. Pictures of the equipment you use to make it are always welcome (you can upload and attach pictures, just not link to them, until you've been around a while; it's an anti-spam thing), along with discussions of the process. Some of us are retired engineers and really like that kind of stuff.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby jhabich » 2015-Sep-Mon-11-Sep

We do make our own filament. Our polymer is made in the USA and extruded by us in Indiana.

My business partner and I are both automation engineers each with roughly 20 years experience working in manufacturing with a lot of those years working in the plastics industry. We have many years of winding experience as well. We designed and built most of our equipment from the ground up. We wind our filament with precise torque measurements as well as using stepper motors to ensure our rolls will unwind without tangles. We have unwound our rolls at speed up to 240 feet per minute with no tangling issues.

I have been printing for over 2 years now on my Printrbot Plus. I have ran countless rolls of both our stuff as well as many other brands through my printers and I can say I am very happy with the quality of our plastic. I know what else am I going to say right. But I do feel that we produce a very good quality roll of filament.

I would be more than happy to participate in discussions around filament in general or about our products. You can search for us on twitter under @HH3DPlastics there are a lot of pictures and videos on there showing our process. I will also attach some here soon.

Jason

jhabich
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Mon-18-Sep

There's some nice video and pix on twitter (just google "@hh3dplastics", seems to work for us non-twits). Looking forwards to more info. Some years back I was a short term email pen-pal (mostly for english language practice) with a Chinese filament manufacturer who shared some interesting pictures of his extrusion equipment. It looks like you use a different cooling technique than the water bath he used back then.

Can you explain more about what PLA is, perhaps something beyond it's being biodegradable and made from corn starch? My understanding is that PLA covers a wide range of material mixes, like ABS does. Is that really true, and if so what are the tradeoffs?

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby jhabich » 2015-Sep-Mon-20-Sep

We actually do use a water bath to cool our filament, two to be more precise. We have one that is a heated water bath that allow the plastic to cool a little slower. This allows our filament to be as round as possible. The second water bath is a cooled water bath that takes the rest of the heat out of the plastic. We then go through a water removal process before it is ultimately wound on the spool.

As far as the PLA I have learned great deal over the years but by no means do I claim to be an expert in the process of actually making the PLA pellets. Perhaps the best way to answer the question about the PLA is to refer you the Nature Works website. All of our PLA comes from Nature Works. I am still not able to post links so I will explain how to get there.
If you Google Nature Works LLC and go to their website there is a link at the bottom in the middle of the page that says "How Ingeo Is Made". Click the Learn More button. They have a good detail explanation of how PLA is made as well as some other options.

Jason

jhabich
Loading filament...

Postby jhabich » 2015-Oct-Fri-14-Oct

HH3DPlastics

We decided to get rid of our shipping charges all together. From now on we offer Free Shipping to the lower 48 states. Our October special is now $17.99 for a 1Kg roll of 1.75mm PLA with free shipping (normal price $20.99).

At H and H 3D plastics we understand the challenges and frustrations associated with receiving poor quality filament. Our filament is proudly Made in the U.S.A. with the strictest of quality standards. We pride ourselves in providing a quality product to our customers that allows you to print with ease. We use only the best virgin polymer for our filament. Our plastic is thoroughly dried prior to extrusion and each roll is vacuum sealed with a desiccant within minutes of being wound. This ensures that you receive the driest filament possible. Our diameter is checked in line with a laser diameter gauge to guarantee that each roll you received falls within our +/- .05 mm diameter standard. We wind our filament with precise torque control and stepper motor accuracy to ensure layer by layer our filament will not tangle during printing. We print daily with our filament to ensure that the filament you receive is of the highest quality. We manufacture our own filament we are not just a distributor, this gives us more control over the quality of our product and allows us to provide you with the highest quality filament possible.

hh3dplastics

Jason

jhabich
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Sat-15-Oct

I hope the free shipping model works out for you.

Just curious, why the two different spool sizes?

You've only got a limited set of colors atm, hope that grows. I ordered a spool of translucent orange, seeing how the pumpkin carving season is coming up. Hope to post a mini-review, might not be until after the oot class I'll be going to in a couple weeks (nothing related to 3d printing, gonna learn how to turn square pieces of wood into round ones, and how to make some dull things sharper - alas, not moose brains).

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby jhabich » 2015-Oct-Sat-16-Oct

Mooselake,
Thanks for the purchase we definitely appreciate the business.

We have crunched the numbers a million different times and we are confident we will continue to offer free shipping at least to the lower 48 states. Of course $17.99 is just our sale price for October. It will go to $20.99 in November. Still not a bad price if you ask me, of course I may be slightly biased.

As far as the limited amount of colors, keep an eye out we will be adding more colors very soon. We should have a run of red, pink and dark red coming up this week. And depending on when we get some shipments of color we will be adding blue, green and purple also. Hopefully by the 12th we have additional colors on the website.

The two different spool thing has to do with a new printer coming out soon. I backed a Tiko on kickstarter and they take a 6.5" spool so if for no other reason then my own personal use we just went ahead and added a 6.5 " spool option. We built and design all of our own equipment so it ends up being pretty easy for us to add spool sizes or what ever to our line. So I figured why not maybe we will sell a few to the Tiko users later on this year. Personally I like the 8 inch spools they tend to feed very well into the setup I have for my printrbot.

Good luck on the class.

Jason

jhabich
Loading filament...

Postby jhabich » 2015-Oct-Sat-16-Oct

I thought I would go ahead and add a picture. I had this part sitting around that I printed with our Translucent Orange. It tends to be a little light being that it is translucent but it may make an interesting pumpkin.

Jason

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhabich
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Thu-17-Oct

H&H transparent orange arrived today, along with a small sample of what looks like black. Nicely vacuum packed; filament, spool, plastic bag, desiccant together weigh 2.27kg. Not gonna unroll and weigh it, but it's certainly not short.

Probably won't get to printing with it until after the class trip, so towards the end of the month before I can do a mini-review. Looks good through the bag.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Oct-Sun-22-Oct

Mooselake wrote:H&H transparent orange arrived today, along with a small sample of what looks like black. Nicely vacuum packed; filament, spool, plastic bag, desiccant together weigh 2.27kg. Not gonna unroll and weigh it, but it's certainly not short.

Probably won't get to printing with it until after the class trip, so towards the end of the month before I can do a mini-review. Looks good through the bag.

Kirk

I'd love to know what the transparent orange prints like. WYZ filament translucents don't print very reliably, so I've been sticking with solid colors.

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby jhabich » 2015-Oct-Mon-11-Oct

orangefurball wrote:
Mooselake wrote:H&H transparent orange arrived today, along with a small sample of what looks like black. Nicely vacuum packed; filament, spool, plastic bag, desiccant together weigh 2.27kg. Not gonna unroll and weigh it, but it's certainly not short.

Kirk

I'd love to know what the transparent orange prints like. WYZ filament translucents don't print very reliably, so I've been sticking with solid colors.

I'm obviously biased when it comes to H and H 3D Plastics since I am one of the owners but if it helps I have printed quite a few things with the translucent orange and to me it prints just as well as the solid colors. I print the majority of my stuff on a Printrbot Plus version 2.1. I have a pumpkin I printed with the Translucent Orange lying on my desk so I went ahead and added a picture. Hope it helps.

jhabich
Loading filament...

H and H 3D Plastics- 2 New colors added to inventory.

We have added Candy Red (which is a Red/orange color) and Pink to our inventory in both 6.5" and 8" spools. Still $17.99 until the end of October and always free shipping.

www.hh3dplastics.com.

jhabich
Loading filament...

http://www.hh3dplastics.com
Added four new colors to the website. Blue, Light Blue, Green and Light Green. Rolls are still on sale for $17.99 until the end of October and always free shipping.

jhabich
Loading filament...

Postby carlos » 2015-Nov-Wed-14-Nov

Just wanted to thank you got the sample pack you sent. And I have to say I like it.

IMG_5740.JPG

Printrbot Simple Metal (using Rev F board) with E3D hot-end and heated bed.
carlos
Levelling print bed...

Postby jhabich » 2015-Nov-Wed-15-Nov

Carlos,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it is working well for you. I always like to hear how the plastic prints for people. I print basically everyday on my Printrbot Plus with our plastic and although I am extremely biased I do think we make a good roll of plastic. A lot of people just don't know about us yet.

Jason

jhabich
Loading filament...

Postby mcdader » 2015-Nov-Tue-11-Nov

Thanks for the sample, Prints well.

I typed up a quick review. I am a newbie when it comes to 3D printing so don't expect anything too technical.

http://blog.mcdader.net/2015/11/h-and-h-3d-plastics.html

mcdader
Loading filament...

Postby jhabich » 2015-Nov-Thu-22-Nov

Mcdader,
Thanks for the feedback. Im happy it printed well for you.
Jason

jhabich
Loading filament...

Postby jhabich » 2015-Nov-Thu-22-Nov

H and H 3D Plastics
Our Black Friday deal is 15% off of all orders starting Friday, November 27th through Sunday November 29th. Our Cyber Monday deal is buy 3 rolls and get one free. Use codes "blackfriday" or "cybermonday" at checkout. For our Cyber Monday deal, November 30th, just add all 4 rolls to your cart, input the code and the discount will be applied. Always free shipping
http://www.hh3dplastics.com

jhabich
Loading filament...

Return to 3D printing merchants