[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Metal Plus Problems

Metal Plus Problems

The PBHQ Official Forum should only be used for questions/issues/topics that only PBHQ can answer (eg. order issues, missing parts from your order, any messages directed specifically at PBHQ people, etc). All other questions/issues/topics should be posted in the regular forums.

Metal Plus Problems

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sat-17-Jan

I was printing successfully with my new Metal Plus. Then last night I tried to print something close to the maximum x/y size and started getting in to trouble.

I was having problems with my bed leveling at high negative Y (front of the bed). This morning I started up again and read a thread on here that said to insert a G29 code for auto-leveling. I did that and it seemed to work.

I tried to print a 20mm cube and found that I'm getting garbled X moves. Firstly after completing the skirt it does a ~1cm move to the left and back again. What I end up with is like in this photo.

Erroneous moves.jpg

I've tried restarting Cura and progressively slowing down the serial comms baud rate. No difference.

Next, while doing this. I stopped the machine to clear off the failed print and sent the extruder back to X=0 and Y=0 and got a terrible noise. To my horror I saw the extruder has scrapped along the bed, destroying my Kapton film the process! I had sent no codes to change the Z-height. This should not have happened.

Bed scrape.jpg

What's going on here? And once I resolve this, how do I get Printrbot to sent me a replacement Kapton film? (As an aside the film application on the bed is very poor. I know this isn't easy, but the number of large air bubbles is excessive.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Metal Plus Problems

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Metal Plus Problems

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sat-18-Jan

[Update]

I tried changing my USB cable, recalling that the one that shipped with my Printrbot Jr was defective. I'm now using the cable that I've been successfully using with my Jr for 18+ months.

I'm still getting spurious moves. I just had another extruder crash situation that's left a bad score in my aluminum bed.

I already to remove the Kapton and replace it with a double layer of blue tape (how do you even change the bed leveling using Cura? It's unacceptable that Printrbot only has instructions on their site on leveling using Repetier having switched to Cura), but the crash scored straight through to the aluminum.

I'm not at all happy.

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby musk » 2015-Jan-Sat-19-Jan

If you use g29 bed leveling during a print, the z axis is constantly moving up and down to compensate for the tilted bed. In practice this means that if the back of your bed is high and the front is low, the z axis will move slowly downward as the nozzle reaches the front of the bed and will rise upward as it prints toward the back of the bed.

If you stop the print, auto-leveling turns off! If you choose to stop the print when the nozzle is in a "low" position (near the front of the bed in this example) and then proceed to manually move the nozzle to the back of the bed by using the buttons in cura or repetier-host you'll likely gouge into the tape and plate because the machine is blindly following directions to move to the back of the bed, without special instructions to raise the nozzle to compensate for the bed tilt. To avoid this problem, move the nozzle up a little bit before moving when the nozzle is so close to the bed. This issue does not occur after the first few layers because the nozzle is already high enough to avoid scraping the bed.

The good news is that the scrape in your plate doesn't really matter and you don't need a replacement.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sat-19-Jan

Thanks musk! That tells me why the bed crash is occurring, which is a big help. It also tells me that auto-leveling is no substitute for real mechanical leveling (at least not with today's "dumb" manual moves).

Now I need to work out why I'm getting spurious moves. Any ideas?

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sat-19-Jan

Ah! I've found out what the problem is.

I'd reduced my bed size to 7 7/8-inches to allow for the max. size for dual extruders. Then when trying to print something the full bed size, the extruder was off the edge of the bed by ~15mm. I downloaded a Cura plugin called X/Y/Z Shift to allow me to offset the X by 15mm to compensate.

I realized that was giving me problems and disabled it. I also changed my bed settings back to full size.

After restarting Cura at some point, the X/Y/Z shift plugin (which I'd edited to change the default to be x=15mm) was enabled again and I didn't notice. I've just disabled it and printed successfully.

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby teicher » 2015-Jan-Sat-21-Jan

I've pinged them before about cura settings and providing a suggested started profile, but now that they are recommending the tool its even more important they do so.

The included machine profile settings for printrbots in cura (at least all of the versions I've used, 14.x on Linux) all have bad settings. Not only is the start/end gcode no good for auto leveling, the retraction and hot end tip settings are very wrong. They are a ticking support case & replacement parts time bomb IMO.

I'd open a support ticket for the kapton tape, they should be able to help you with that. The bed scrape might be ok, I'm not there to see it. You could always ask I guess. I have some very small scratches on my current mic6 bed, but I had to replace my first mic6 after it got gouged by the tip and left with deep scars that couldn't be hidden with 2x layers of tape.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sat-23-Jan

The bed is probably okay, once tape is applied. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

The Pronterface UI report echo's the following:

< Bed x: 10 y: 259.00 z: 1.00
< Bed x: 10 y: 10 z: 1.03
< Bed x: 210.00 y: 10 z: 3.54

Unless there's something cryptic in those numbers, it says that I have 2.5mm on bed tilt in the x axis. While autolevel and a single extruder may be able to cope with that, it won't work on a dual-extruder set up. I can already when printing small calibration structures that my (currently) unused extruder is rubbing on the bed tape (and I've even had it tear the tape) while the other extruder is printing okay.

How does one even level the bed on this machine?

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby Sablebadger » 2015-Jan-Sun-02-Jan

I've run into a similar problem to your last post, albeit a much smaller tilt. The second extruder tip is rubbing along the already printed material, and sometimes knocks it loose or makes the print skip.

I just watched a print go awry on this, then I read your post and it all clicks. bed leveling works great with a SINGLE point. If you have a wide base (two extruder tips) to worry about then things are a bit more problematic.

On Google+ someone made a comment to my complaint saying:

"Since the printer has dual z axis did you check to see that the x carriage is level across. One side may be a little lower causing the second hot end to drag or catch. " I don't even know how to do that. But it might be something to look into.

badger

Sablebadger
Levelling print bed...

Postby musk » 2015-Jan-Sun-02-Jan

musk
Solid infill...

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sun-06-Jan

Printrbot support helped me sort out the problem.

My X carriage was tilted. I had to manually turn the right leadscrew to level it and then run G29 to check the tilt. After a few iterations, it very level.

I'm impressed that I got a response from their European support on a Sunday.

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Jan-Sun-11-Jan

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby Sablebadger » 2015-Jan-Tue-17-Jan

Last night I was able to get a near perfect print with one extruder by tweaking the Z axis threaded rods.

Here is how I did it:

Up Z to 1/4 from the bottom
move extruders to the left to create a clear area on the middle bar
lay a small bubble level on the flat bar so you can see when the level changes. (I didn't care if it was level, just that it changed).
twist the left threaded rod (facing the machine) slightly by hand. I didn't need to hold the right one in place, just twisting the left seemed to work.
watch the bubble level to see if the angle changes.
Print a wide flat thing and watch the surface of the print. ( i was printing this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:178862)
If you see "smushing" or extra gunk or dragging of the nozzle through already printed area, then adjust again (1/4 turn increments if it's really close) until you get a smooth print.

I got this to print last night using this method.
http://www.thingiverse.com/make:113566

badger

Sablebadger
Levelling print bed...

Postby musk » 2015-Jan-Tue-19-Jan

Brook made a useful video showing how to level the GO machine, fully applies to the Plus.

musk
Solid infill...

Postby paul314 » 2015-Jan-Thu-14-Jan

borkedbed.png
Grr. What is everyone else's experience with the default profile built into Cura? Repetier was crashing on me, so I just tried to print something with Cura. Ripped the living daylights out of the Kapton. I started printing, my machine did its homing routine nicely, printed the outline for the bottom layer and then started doing its darnedest to drive the nozzle through the bed. Lifted up, did the same in a couple other places before I came to my senses and stopped the print. (Oh, and since Cura doesn't have any manual controls that I can find, left the nozzle hot and pressed against the aluminum until I quit, fired up repetier and got to manual control.)

Slic3r complained that the model I was trying to print was nonmanifold, but that doesn't seem like a reason to go all engravey. (And Cura didn't complain at all.)

Are there settings I should use for Cura other than the ones it has already? Should I just go back to repetier and handle it with kid gloves? Oy. At least the aluminum seems OK.

(I've added some insulation to the bottom of the bed, but that doesn't seem relevant here because a) G29 reported it as even more level than before and b) even on this print the machine laid out one perfect perimeter before going for a dive.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul314
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby musk » 2015-Jan-Thu-17-Jan

If only one of two nozzles is digging into the Kapton tape, that means the nozzles are not at the same height. This could be caused by a skewed gantry which needs to be leveled using Brook's video linked above. Alternatively, the nozzles are possibly mounted at the different heights in the aluextruders. Gantry alignment is the first thing to check.

musk
Solid infill...

Postby paul314 » 2015-Jan-Fri-14-Jan

Thanks! It turns out I had stupidly thought that I had tightened the nozzle all the way when I reassembled after clearing a jam. I was clearly off by half a millimeter or so. Changed the Z offset for now, but when I go to print with both extruders I'll have to get them matched. (They were matched before when I did test extrusions with both of them.)

paul314

Postby teicher » 2015-Jan-Fri-22-Jan

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby paul314 » 2015-Jan-Fri-22-Jan

paul314

Return to General