[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Cartidge-type Ubis discontinued?

Cartidge-type Ubis discontinued?

The PBHQ Official Forum should only be used for questions/issues/topics that only PBHQ can answer (eg. order issues, missing parts from your order, any messages directed specifically at PBHQ people, etc). All other questions/issues/topics should be posted in the regular forums.

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Oct-Fri-15-Oct

Got a replacement for my 1.75mm Ubis hotend (cartridge-type) and it's like the original nichrome/ceramic units, but not 3mm. Any reason for returning to the original style?

I'm asking because, over time, the cartridge-type slowly petered out. There was increased resistance as the filament fed, which led to the dreaded clicking extruder motor. My best efforts to clean the interior were to no avail. Also, as I peered down the barrel of the hotend, I could see 2 discrete "steps" where different materials were mating. Shouldn't it have been one continuous smooth path?

DonaldJ
Support material...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Cartidge-type Ubis discontinued?

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Oct-Fri-17-Oct

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Munson » 2014-Oct-Fri-18-Oct

I would like to say this,if Printrbot sold the old style Ubis or ubis parts I would purchase them instead of buying a ripoff hotend,but I had no choice and purchased the Anubis.
I have used it for over a month now and I have to admit it is just as good as the original.

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Oct-Fri-18-Oct

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Oct-Fri-21-Oct

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Oct-Sat-07-Oct

The connector and the switching transistor (MOSFET) used on the Printrboard for the Hot End are identical to the ones used for the Heated Bed, which typically draws more than 100 watts - so there's no problem with using a 40 or 50 watt cartridge on your Hot End. But if you go over 36 watts, I'd recommend using all four pins on the connector. Do this the same way they do for the Heated Bed: the left-hand pair of pins gets wired together, and the right-hand pair of pins gets wired together.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Munson » 2014-Oct-Sat-07-Oct

Orangefurball,I am using the 40w on my printrboard.I am also using an atx and my heat bed is on a relay so I really don't have much of an extra load on the board.

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Oct-Sat-14-Oct

The 40W cartridges can cause more problems if the thermistor (or anything else involved in temperature control, like a shorted mosfet) fails the wrong way and causes them to be continuously powered, compared to the 30 watters. In both cases you need to keep your firehose, or other fire suppression device, handy. Other than the obvious power ratio I don't know what the increased risk is, but the results can require a change of residence, or worse. Doesn't mean you need to avoid them, but you should be aware there's an increased risk.

Kirk

Disclaimer: I'm a medical first responder with a volunteer fire department, and a rural paramedic, so I worry about this stuff...

Complements of wikipedia

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Oct-Sat-14-Oct

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Munson » 2014-Oct-Sat-14-Oct

So is there a way of placing a fail safe like a inline fuse?

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Oct-Mon-15-Oct

You'd need a thermal fuse attached to the hot end. The extruder can be within it's current spec and still get very hot, so a current sensitive fuse wouldn't help. There was some discussion a while back about extruder induced fires that talked about them - one of the problems is that it needs to be a higher temp than the typical coffee maker thermal fuse, and the higher temperature's hard to find. If you find a good source post it.

I'm a first responder with a rural fire volunteer fire department, and recently semi-retired from being a full time paramedic. I've seen what fires can do to you; it's not pretty. This doesn't mean you should think about giving up your printer (cold dead hands...) but you should be aware of the potential danger, and take some preventative steps. Either watch your printer, or think about some kind of fire prevention or suppression.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Oct-Mon-20-Oct

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Oct-Tue-11-Oct

Not so .

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Oct-Tue-13-Oct

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Munson » 2014-Oct-Wed-05-Oct

Why is there no fail safe on the printrboard and Ramps if there is a slight chance of fire?

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Oct-Wed-10-Oct

That's a good question. I can only guess. Perhaps it's one of those as soon as you take precautions you'll get massive lawsuits if the protective device fails? I don't know why Makerbot dropped their thermal fuse, but they never caught on with anybody else.

They're use at your own risk hobby devices. While ianal I'd guess that there isn't any official mandate to conform to UL, CSA, or some other alphabet agency. To be honest I mostly hope they don't - I don't want to get a device with a 40 page manual detailing all the ways you shouldn't use your printer ("Do not put mouth directly under nozzle while operating and inhale as this may cause harmful or fatal injuries from fumes or molten plastic". "Digital calipers are a recommended tool, Do not run with them or you may be impaled by the extended depth gauge." etc.) and that's inoperative because somebody might want to drink from the extruder and there's something to prevent it.

Get a smoke detector and fire extinguisher. You have one anyway, right? Your toaster may fail and set your bagel on fire. Don't leave home with the printer running (puts a damper on those 40 hour prints...) or at least put them somewhere where a meltdown won't cause a disaster. Basic common sense once you're aware there's a small chance of a failure.

One of my neighbors was on the board of my local mutual insurance company. Some 30 years ago said their biggest fire hazard was coffee makers (I'm guessing he skipped over wood stoves...). I'm not giving up mine.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Oct-Wed-11-Oct

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Oct-Fri-23-Oct

Many thanks for all of the replies, but none of them address the original question of the discontinuation of the cartridge Ubis.

Which is now a moot point. Brook Drumm just posted some bits on the Twitter feed about two new products, one of which is an all-metal Ubis hotend, good to 300C.

Very nice.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Sat-01-Nov

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Munson » 2014-Nov-Sat-05-Nov

The new extruder looks like a E3D with a Printrbot signature red boot on it.

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Sat-14-Nov

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby rigarashi » 2015-Aug-Sun-00-Aug

rigarashi
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Aug-Sun-05-Aug

Sorry, rigarashi, I must correct you. the thermistors used here are Negative Temperature Coefficient. High resistance = low temperature; Low resistance = high temperature. Open circuit means low-temperature fault; short circuit mean high-temperature fault.

That said, you are correct that a failure of the firmware or the hardware on the Printrboard can lead to an uncontrolled amount of heat going to the heater(s). And if you really want to be safe, yes you should use other means to detect and deal with that problem. Maybe smoke detector, maybe bimetallic temperature switch, etc. All of the "old timers" on this forum strongly recommend never leaving the printer running for a long time while totally unattended (like if you leave the premises for hours at a time or go to sleep). Personally, I never leave the printer running for more than 30 minutes or so without actually going to look at it, and I'm usually inside the house for just about the whole time. Lots of people have cameras set up so they can check on their smartphone.

BTW, the firmware is called "Marlin" not "Merlin"

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby rigarashi » 2015-Aug-Sun-07-Aug

Thank you for correcting me, RetireeJay on two counts... and while we're on the subject of thermistor, I meant to ask... if the heater is turned off, the thermistor will naturally read the ambient temperature of the bed, for example, assuming it has not been heated. If the thermistor is open (thus low temperature approaching zero?) would the firmware still detect this open circuit and trigger an error? In other words, would turning the heater off basically also turn off error detection and triggering?

rigarashi
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Sun-09-Aug

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Sun-13-Aug

Also, check that the heatsinks of the heater & heat-bed power transistors aren't touching. If they are touching, you may get uncontrolled heating.

frankv
First blob a success!

Return to General