[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Installed official heated bed mod, broke Auto-Leveling.

Installed official heated bed mod, broke Auto-Leveling.

The PBHQ Official Forum should only be used for questions/issues/topics that only PBHQ can answer (eg. order issues, missing parts from your order, any messages directed specifically at PBHQ people, etc). All other questions/issues/topics should be posted in the regular forums.

Postby daegs » 2014-Aug-Fri-12-Aug

I installed the new official aluminum bed and the heater works fine (though can't seem to get above 90c), however all my prints seem to start with the same problem:

Bed x: 10 y: 142.40 z: 0.50
Bed x: 10 y: 10 z: 0.87
Bed x: 142.40 y: 10 z: 0.83

My bed is actually pretty level with the printrhead, and prior to this upgrade the z-value was normally tightly grouped.

There appears to be some change in capacitance after the upgrade, because my first spot is **consistently** lower than the other two, and this causes the software to think it has to print higher, which means I can't get a good first layer anymore.

I get one of two cases: Either the back of my print (towards Y-Z carriage) is too high to get good adhesion and the front is fine, or the back is correct height but the front is too low and backpressure occurs leaving the front under-extruded, causing either clogs or merely doesn't adhere.

This happens consistently over a dozen prints... always the it thinks the back is higher than it is, causing the print head to raise as it travels backwards.

Can we please get some updated firmware to allow us to set a tilt offset or something? Or updated heated bed hardware that was tested for even capacitance? Perhaps just change the probing points in the firmware so it hits places that are more even? Perhaps a 4,6, or 9 point grid for the auto-leveler?

I saw someone else had this problem on reddit, is this a problem for everyone else?

daegs
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Installed official heated bed mod, broke Auto-Leveling.

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Aug-Fri-12-Aug

Have you tried measuring the actual distance with a dial indicator or caliper? Are you using a G28 prior to the G29 command?
I had to increase the voltage on my PS to get the heat bed above 90. 13.8v almost got it to 100. Eventually I (electrically) split the trace in two, dropping the resistance but increasing the amperage. Room temp to 105 in less than 3 minutes, at 28 amps.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby daegs » 2014-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

Well I do have a 550w PS, might try that. Happen to know how many amps the printrboard is rated for?

I'm using G28 X-Y prior to the G29. I'm not sure the actual distance matters, because before the bed upgrade I was getting flat prints, and after every single one is too high in the back.

Even if the distance WAS greater, the entire point of the auto-leveling is to account for that, so whether the aluminum bed is level or actually tilted, either case should be taken care of...

daegs

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Aug-Fri-14-Aug

If you are running the printer and the heated bed off of the stock laptop power supply that would be your main source of problems. It is only rated for 6 amps, not enough amperage for both the printer and a heated bed.

ChefScott
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby daegs » 2014-Aug-Fri-14-Aug

> I do have a 550w PS

Not sure why you would think I'd use the laptop PS.... I don't think I'd have been able to get 90c with a laptop supply and a printing printer.

daegs

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Aug-Fri-15-Aug

ChefScott
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby daegs » 2014-Aug-Fri-16-Aug

Normal 350-450W PS would not have the amps to drive what he was talking about. He was talking about splitting trace and dropping the resistance, and I said I might try THAT because my power supply is beefy enough to handle it.

Really would rather not get sidetracked... I have no issues with my PS or heated bed, the problem is the auto-leveling has gone from working to broke.

daegs

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Aug-Mon-08-Aug

Are you using just the "G28" command or "G28 X Y". The latter prevents the initial Z axis reference from being set correctly.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby daegs » 2014-Aug-Mon-16-Aug

Hmm, I'm using the same G-code as I was using for the other bed, namely "G28 X Y" followed by "G29".

I'll try it, but I don't see it as preventing anything... it worked on old bed, and even if the head is 30mm up for instance, it goes down until it gets a reading. Have seen the same skew even with the head starting low (from canceled prints on first layer)

I'll try the homing... but honestly this went from working perfectly with old bed to skewed every single time with new, with no other changes....

daegs

Return to General