[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - RepRap Simpson

RepRap Simpson

RepRap Simpson

Postby owens » 2013-Sep-Wed-08-Sep

The Simpson is a new design that Nicholas Seward came up with and entered in the Gada Prize competition, winning second place. The initial prototype relied heavily on laser-cut plastic because that's what he could do quickly. He's been working on a much improved version since then, with input from the RepRap community and a bunch of iterations leading to a new arm that he calls the Proportional Gear Drive Joint. It's one of the most printable designs yet, with almost no special parts other than the controller and steppers. He now has it working:

And so do I ;)

My Simpson is somewhat related to our Printrbots as well. The Printrbot Jr, with a little help from the Simple beta, made all of the printed parts for our OB1.4. Then the OB, with some help from the Jr, made all of the parts for the Simpson. I gave the small, precise jobs to Jr, including printing the threaded drive pulleys at 0.15 mm layers - the finest prints we've attempted so far, and they came out great.

owens
Support material...

RepRap Simpson

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Sep-Wed-09-Sep

Did you get that through the beta? I wanted to sign up, but figured I'd leave then a lot for somebody that had the time to actually build one.

His Wallace is pretty cool, too. We'll be seeing more great things from Nicholas Stewart, I suspect.

Do you use a postprocessor, or has somebody written firmware updates?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Re: RepRap Simpson

Postby owens » 2013-Sep-Tue-19-Sep

The formal beta hasn't started yet, but I was following the project and offered that I'd be willing to print the prototype parts, knowing that they would probably need to be remade for the final design (which is going to happen, in fact). Plus, we live in upstate NY and Nicholas was looking for someone to bring a completed printer to NY Maker Faire. Effectively it's somewhere between prototype (since the printed parts are all new) and alpha (because the design has already been proven in general).

Wally is a nice design as well, somewhat more straightforward to build and adjust, but still a radical departure from the run of the mill printer designs. The crowds at Maker Faire were very interested in both of them; we had some folks hanging around the table for half an hour just looking at how they worked.

Right now both machines require a G-code postprocessor, which is another thing that's still being tweaked. The first version for Simpson had a very complex bed mapping capability; the version we're running cuts that out in the name of simplicity, but can't print anywhere except the center of the bed until some of that complexity is put back in. Wally actually has the more complex math; it requires trigonometric functions, whereas Simpson just needs Pythagoras.

I believe the beta program for both printers is now full, but Nicholas will be releasing all the design files under the GPL so you're free to build one yourself. . .

owens
Support material...

Postby ei8htohms » 2013-Sep-Tue-21-Sep

Congrats! I'm totally in love with the Simpson.

Printrbot GO v.1 - steampunk
Auto bed compensation via endstop wired bed mounts
Thrust bearings and Oldham couplers for the
8mm Igus trapezoidal leadscrews w/
Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
X and Y motors upgraded to Kysans
Twin 30mm fans

ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby nepaholic » 2013-Sep-Thu-08-Sep

This is an amazing printer. When files will be released I will build one of this myself

nepaholic
Solid infill...

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Sep-Thu-11-Sep

I'm at a complete loss for words...that's amazing!

Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Tool less belt tensioners
Aluminum print plate
GT2 Timing Belt and 20T aluminum pulleys

Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby Nickies08 » 2013-Sep-Thu-11-Sep

That is a really interesting printer! Does that style have certain advantages over models like the Printrbot or is it another creative way to build a printer? I'm not familiar with advantages of different style extrusion printers is why I ask. I'd like to build a couple printers from scratch and it would be good to know what the advantages of these different styles are. Besides the fact that it looks really cool doing its thing!

Printrbot Plus V2.0
Aluminum bearing blocks
Aluminum Build Plate
Robotdigg custom Nema 17 motors with 500mm T8*8 Acme Rods on Z-axis (19" of print height)
Wire extensions to accommodate extra build height
GT2 Belts and Pulleys
Nickies08
Solid infill...

Postby ei8htohms » 2013-Sep-Thu-18-Sep

It's arguably one of the lowest vitamin ratio RepRaps ever, which has some appeal.

Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
Twin 30mm fans

ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Sep-Thu-18-Sep

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby ei8htohms » 2013-Sep-Thu-19-Sep

LOL, good point. No, I'm still in love with the GO. I just find the idea of a RepRap without rods and rails to be a step or two closer to the ideal.

Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
Twin 30mm fans

ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby owens » 2013-Sep-Sun-12-Sep

Both Simpson and its brother Wally are very low vitamin machines, except for the things that every printer needs (so far) like steppers, hotend and controller. The best part is that they don't need any linear components - no all-thread, smooth rods, extrusions, linear bearings - so the things you do need are mostly what you can buy very easily. I have a friend who has been held up for two weeks now waiting on LM10UUs to arrive (granted, he ordered them from China, which was a mistake!) I don't think that anyone has done a formal comparison between designs, though I believe one of these two is likely to be the lowest-vitamin-count yet.

Wally is likely to be ready for general use before Simpson. His software is simpler, as are the mechanics. Wally is going to be easier to live with, too. But I think Simpson is cooler ;) All the design files for both will be under the GPL, and Nicholas Seward (the designer) is planning a Kickstarter in a couple of months for people who want a kit of parts.

owens
Support material...

Return to Showcase