Mosaic is LIVE!

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

Mosaic is LIVE!

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Apr-Tue-11-Apr

Remember that multimaterial multicolor solution I mentioned in the past?

Here it is! live as of 6 minutes ago!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... nav_search

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Mosaic is LIVE!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Mosaic is LIVE!

Postby musk » 2015-Apr-Tue-11-Apr

This looks awesome. I like that the pieces are welded together into a single strand.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby frankv » 2015-Apr-Tue-13-Apr

Awesome. But $849! :cry:

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Apr-Wed-07-Apr

It is up there in price. But there are some things that should be considered if you want to go with a multi-color multi-material solution.

While multiple hotends would be more economical they would require more calibration in the long run and be prone to oozing issues etc.

There are a handful of hotends capable of 4 colors, like the kraken but the biggest thing that most people don't seem to consider is the travel requirements!

In my eyes, the main largest advantage to the mosaic system is that you don't limit your multicolor prints to a smaller travel area dictated by the spacing between each nozzle! Another largely important factor is that it is universal. It will works on most machines. So you can bring multicolor prints to multiple machines without having to retrofit all of them with something like the kraken. You could even premake the lengths of filament required for a multicolor print ahead of time and essentially have multiple machines making multicolor prints simultaneously using just the one unit. To me those are some major advantages that help to offset the cost.

Who knows, maybe with enough momentum and interest, they may be able to continuously reduce the cost in the future to a point that is more feasible. But that will likely only happen if they have sufficient demand/volume to be able to reduce costs by procuring materials in significantly larger quantities. Time will tell.

For now I will admit that I may be slightly biased because I've worked closely with these guys for awhile, and I'm prone to supporting Canadian endeavors :) But they are certainly an awesome innovative team of thinkers and just great people all around. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next!

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Apr-Wed-11-Apr

Looks like you're comfortably past your goal. Good Luck!

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Apr-Wed-11-Apr

Mooselake wrote:Looks like you're comfortably past your goal. Good Luck!

Kirk

Thank you Moose! It's not really "ME" per-say, I've just been consulting them. Though I'm happy to see them succeeding :)

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Apr-Wed-18-Apr

Better yet. When the deliveries (well, it is Kickstarter) are late the pitchforks won't be outside your door. :)

Cool looking device, but a bit too spendy for me (can't help it, Mrs. Moose has limits). With luck a later version will less expensive.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Apr-Wed-20-Apr

Mach-Chris wrote:It is up there in price. But there are some things that should be considered if you want to go with a multi-color multi-material solution.

While multiple hotends would be more economical they would require more calibration in the long run and be prone to oozing issues etc.

There are a handful of hotends capable of 4 colors, like the kraken but the biggest thing that most people don't seem to consider is the travel requirements!

In my eyes, the main largest advantage to the mosaic system is that you don't limit your multicolor prints to a smaller travel area dictated by the spacing between each nozzle! Another largely important factor is that it is universal. It will works on most machines. So you can bring multicolor prints to multiple machines without having to retrofit all of them with something like the kraken. You could even premake the lengths of filament required for a multicolor print ahead of time and essentially have multiple machines making multicolor prints simultaneously using just the one unit. To me those are some major advantages that help to offset the cost.

Who knows, maybe with enough momentum and interest, they may be able to continuously reduce the cost in the future to a point that is more feasible. But that will likely only happen if they have sufficient demand/volume to be able to reduce costs by procuring materials in significantly larger quantities. Time will tell.

For now I will admit that I may be slightly biased because I've worked closely with these guys for awhile, and I'm prone to supporting Canadian endeavors :) But they are certainly an awesome innovative team of thinkers and just great people all around. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next!

Also autoleveling becomes less viable on multihead machines as the nozzle seperation increases, as it become far less tolerant of differences between the physical plane of the bed, and the physical plane of the tips of the nozzle. Autoleveling only really works with a single nozzle where there is only one pivot point for the virtual plane it produces. Multiheads also need accurate alignment of the relative height of the nozzles, any discrepancies and it exaperates the effects outlined above.
The final issue with multiheads aside from the inertial mass, is that even when perfectly setup, if you get a small bit of hardened plastic on the tip of your inactive nozzle when printing single color, it can result in you first layer being scraped off the bed as the active one is laying it down.
If i am doing a lot of single head work on my dual heads, i always remove the inactive nozzle, and on the machine i have that supports it, remove the stepper motor too. To that end both the steppers on my dual rigs have a 4pin inline socket, so i can just unscrew it and pop the connection. It also makes maintenance far easier. Im just redesigning my large cnc based printer's printhead to support this.

On the flashforge, the steppers are very simple to pop off, two bolts and they just pull out.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro