Re-use small pb rods for display.

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

Postby EddB » 2015-Jan-Thu-03-Jan

I took the small 10" 8mm rods that came with the original pb simple and made a swing-arm that mounts onto the Simple XL tower. It holds a $25 headrest monitor from amazon. For the pics I attached it to a raspberry pi running astroprint 3d print server. The actual system is the astroprint running on a PCDuino2 (running full ubuntu with the lxde desktop).
IMG_20150109_133243.jpg

I started with 4 rods, but that just extended way too far than what is needed. The xtc-3d coating really strengthens the parts and fully supports the screen. Since it is epoxy based, it also glued the rod ends in place so there is no twisting.
Waffle washer between 2 flat washers are used to stiffen the movement so the arms don't swing while printing.

IMG_20150111_133901.jpg

IMG_20150111_133545.jpg

The final part that makes it an all-in-one system is a 2.4ghz wireless mini keyboard/touchpad combo. Most of the time I log into the server using ssh or graphical vnc terminal, but it's nice to be able to access it direct for minor maintenance. Uploading stl, slicing using cura or Slicer and finally printing is done from the printer or logged in from anywhere on my phone or tablet. Almost never a need to use my windows/laptop. Only time I pull it out is for cad/stl design.

IMG_20150114_214036.jpg

The final version has the hanging swivel on the monitor replaced so it is adjustable angle is locked rigid instead of hanging. (uses the same screw/threads as a camera mount / tripod)

IMG_20150114_203242.jpg

The monitor has 2 AV attachments, so an HDMI to AV converter is required for the Astrobox/pcduino2. Waiting on a 1ft hdmi cable so I don't have 6 feet of hdmi cable hanging out the back.
My main goal was to cut the strings from my MS platforms (owned every Windows version since 3.11 and way before MS-DOS 3.3 before that! Just found my original 5.25 floppies!). Coming so close to that goal and it is so nice working at the command line. Everything works so smooth when you get back to basics!
I am thinking of having the monitor show live camera feed or print status info while printing show s much tuning info as possible.
Haven't posted since christmas, so just wanted to share the latest mod.
Ed

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Re-use small pb rods for display.

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Thu-10-Jan

Cool! Looks impressive!

How hard, and how expensive, was it to make that monitor work?

Got you beat. :); dos 1.0 (no subdirectories) on a 5 MB hard drive 4.77 8088. Windows 1.0 (tiled, no window overlap) but don't remember if that was a 10 MHz 8088 or a 12 meg '286. Got some exorterm 8" floppies somewhere, too.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby EddB » 2015-Jan-Thu-13-Jan

Mooselake wrote:Cool! Looks impressive!
How hard, and how expensive, was it to make that monitor work?
Got you beat. :); dos 1.0 (no subdirectories) on a 5 MB hard drive 4.77 8088. Windows 1.0 (tiled, no window overlap) but don't remember if that was a 10 MHz 8088 or a 12 meg '286. Got some exorterm 8" floppies somewhere, too.

7" Monitor is plug and play on Raspberry Pi, just alter one config file to make the fonts more readable w/ 7" display. Haven't tested it on the pcduino2/ubuntu. Need the proper cable and adapter. Not bad running the printer software on a 7" screen. Used to it already from ssh usi g an 7" and 10" android tablet.
My first pc was Timex Sinclair 1000 with an added 16k extended memory and an audio-cable to a regular tape recorder/player to store "programs" since it didn't really have any software you could run on it. Just typed lines of code to the screen and execute.
I actually started a 1 node 300bps bulletin board on an 8088 10mhz system. Ran MS-DOS (pcDos before that!) through the late 80s early 90s on a 386-sx 16mhz for a 4 node bbs (one local node) using DOS, DesqView (DOS multi-tasker) and Wildcat BBS software. Had 3 phone lines screaming at 19.2kbps U.S. Robotics modems when the internet finally shut us all down.
Never new those early days of hacking hardware would lead to this!
Ed

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Thu-17-Jan

I was a supporting member of a couple of those BBSes sometime around then, one of the few users that actually sent in a check.

I build/ran an ISP for a local phone company back in the mid 90s; one of our early dial-in nodes was located in a home basement next to a BBS. In exchange for using the space and power we let the sysop connect it to our router and be on the Internet, plus his users (assuming they were our customers) could use it locally, including 56K when that came along. I wonder what ever happened to it?

Our local university had a handful of public access dial numbers, back in the gopher days. Connecting to my first overseas gopher burrow (in Germany; Mrs Moose has an undergrad minor in German) was a big thrill. Haven't looked for it in years; just found out that danged Firefox has deleted their gopher support. What's next? Will lynx quit working?

Did you try that monitor on the Pi's composite output? Looks like the HDMI adapter is as expensive as the monitor.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby EddB » 2015-Jan-Thu-21-Jan

Mooselake wrote:I was a supporting member of a couple of those BBSes sometime around then, one of the few users that actually sent in a check.

Did you try that monitor on the Pi's composite output? Looks like the HDMI adapter is as expensive as the monitor.

Kirk

We had some good customers, subscribed year after year. My system was only connected to the net using GIGO (garbage in garbage out) to provide users an internet email address and a few thousand fidonet and usenet newgroups via dialup uucp/shell transfers. Would take 18 hours to re-index the message databases on a down node on the 386sx-16. Would come back online just in time to process the next days mail.
Internet email would be imported/exported at blazing 5-10 minutes. Never made enough on subscriptions to pay the monthly phone bills or data rates to netcom. Aol cheap http access took us all down in a matter of weeks (litteraly 1000s closed).

As for the hdmi-composite adapter. Had one from other equipment hacks. I believe it cost me $10-12 bucks. The male to male hdmi adapter i am waiting for, is the pcduino2 hdmi to adapter is costing $8, so basically almost the same price if I didn't already have those parts. The image above is the raspberry pi composite out straight to the 7" lcd composite.
The pcduino2 and pcduino3 only have hdmi. Thats what I need the converter for. If I were using the rpi as my print server, then all I would need is the composite lcd monitor.
Ed

EddB
ACME leadscrew

Return to Showcase