Simple Metal with dual extruder

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

Postby Yakeru » 2014-Sep-Sat-01-Sep

Hello everyone,

I installed a second extruder on my simple metal, and here is my first "usable" object I made with it (after a few attempts to get the correct offset for the second extruder naturally :D)

My setup:

Close-up from my dual extruder mod:

First finalized/complete/recognizable print:

I waz surprised by the transparency of the natural PLA, I had to play with some light :mrgreen::

And finaly, the support to hold both steppers and ALU extruders, shown in the same orientation as the pictures above, the offset between both hot ends should be -25 mm on Y (in reality it's more like -22.25 on Y and -1 on X, not perfect with these settings, it needs some more fine tuning):
Printed on that same printer, with 50% infill to test, since it seems to be working well, I will print it again at 100% infill, and use it until I find a metal shop to do it in aluminium. More rigidity wouldn't harm ;)

It really wasn't difficult to make. I just had to order a stepper, ALU extruder, hot ends, extrudrboard and a simple wiring kit from printrbot, an ATX PSU, design and print the support, spend two hours calibrating the whole thing and it was done :D

The most complicated parts where setting both hot ends so that they are exactly at the same height, and figuring out how to get the extrudrboard to work. I finally found a topic where it was explained that we have to put a dummy load for the third thermistor, so I put a 100 kOhm resistor and it worked. (same value as the real thermistor at ambient temperature)

My hot bed doesn't seem to be working anymore though ... I can hear my relay clicking, but the temperature doesn't rise... if the relay clicks, the printrboard is doing it's job, and the hot bed receives power directly from the PSU, so I have no idea why it doesn't work. Is a 600 W PSU not powerful enough ? I must try again without the extrudrboard to see if it makes a difference...

Thank you for reading :)

Yakeru

Yakeru
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simple Metal with dual extruder

Postby KC_703 » 2014-Sep-Sat-18-Sep

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to add a second extruder to my Simple Metal. This is more inspiration towards that goal. Just need Mach-Chris to machine some of the mounts from aluminum. :)

There's a similar plate on Thingiverse, but the author mentioned that the dual extruders might be too heavy causing sag on the far end of the Y-axis.

KC_703
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Yakeru » 2015-Jan-Tue-18-Jan

Hello everyone and happy new year !

News : I haven't used my printer for a while, and recently printed something still with the part I printed with 50% infill, and I suppose that with time, and the tension of the screws, that part has been a little bit crushed. Not much, but just enought to put the hot end to close from the platform, jaming it and completly ruining one of my hotend (I wasn't watching...)

So yes ... 100% infill is a good idea for that part :-) And idealy aluminium of course ! But I got a drill press recently so that will be coming soon :-D

See ya'

Yakeru

P.S. : I also realized that I was talking about an issue with my heating bed, it was just the relay that was a little bit sticky, it worked well again soon after my first post.

Yakeru
Loading filament...

Postby blort » 2015-Sep-Tue-15-Sep

I like the pictured adapter board for the extruder mounts. can anyone link the STLs for that before I go an trial and error my way through one by myself?

blort
Levelling print bed...

Postby Yakeru » 2015-Sep-Tue-15-Sep

Hi blort,

I will upload it on thingiverse as soon as I find the file again (haven't touched it for a while) ! I will let you know.

I still haven't made the aluminium version, I have difficulties finding a small 5mm thick aluminium plate ...

Does anybody know where I can order a small 5mm thick aluminium plate in Canada ?

Thanks,

Yakeru

Yakeru
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Sep-Tue-16-Sep

For small qty stuff like that look for a "metal
Supermarkets" in your area. They probably only have imperial sizes though....sooooo 1/4"?

Did someone mention needing machining? Depending on the timing I *might* be able to slip something in ;)

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby blort » 2015-Sep-Wed-08-Sep

once I get my measurements all sorted out I may reach out for some machining.

right now I am jus trying to get the tray all sorted so I can dry fit the steppers.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Postby rhercher » 2015-Sep-Thu-11-Sep

You know, if it's a sagging issue, instead of making the plate in all metal, you could keep the plastic but add holes to slide some metal rods through to stiffen the length so the y axis doesn't sag.

Metal Simple (Rev D board), Heated bed upgrade, Simplify3D
rhercher
Loading filament...

Postby kareem613 » 2015-Sep-Sat-18-Sep

When you come to get it machined, I'm in. You wouldn't happen to be in Ottawa would you?
Mach-Chris. How about a dual extruder kit? I've got some customers in this thread already. :)

kareem613
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Sep-Sat-19-Sep

Well how about we crowd source this project. Everyone collaborates on a design that fills everyone's needs.

Personally don't plan to modify any of my printers to multi extruders since I have two of mosaics "palettes" on the way :) but I'm more than happy to help create something for the community to use...especially since it would be a much more economical option over the palette.

My initial thoughts would be to go Bowden as removing the weight would be more beneficial. But that's just my 2 cents.

By all means, when everyone can agree on a design, I will certainly make as many as are required, the more people that want in, the cheaper the per unit cost will become :)

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Yakeru » 2015-Oct-Wed-15-Oct

Hello everyone !

Wow I haven't been notified for all your comments sorry for the late answer ! Thank you for the ideas :-)

I uploaded the file to thingiverse but it needs 24h before being published.
So I also attached the file here. (the stl at least ... I still have to find the original Sketchup file ...)

I found "Online Metal Store" I will order an alu plate here to continue my experiments.
Crowd-funding and collaboration on the design to make several of them seems like a good idea, I'm in if it's not too late :-)

One thing I remember : You have to shorten the axles of the stepper motors. Since I designed the support to put the two extruders as close as possible, without shortening the shafts of one of them, they won't fit.

One design improvement idea : The two pegs to hold the fan are here just so that the airflow isn't obstructed, and because it wasn't hard to do with additive manufacturing. But if the plate is thick enough, and if we talk machining, then these pegs are complicated for nothing, we could just drill and tap two holes in the side of the plate, in it's thickness I suppose :-)

Good luck !

P.S. : no, not Ottawa :-) but not that far : Montreal.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yakeru
Loading filament...

Return to Showcase