The Simple Beast is born!

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Sep-Mon-19-Sep

Finally got some time to figure out the puzzle that I have amassed for myself. Some of the pieces are not gathered yet, but here are the first steps with my 1405 Simple Beast.
330mm_rods.jpg

First I created some simple adapter brackets for the new shiny, smooth, flat, awesome, cool print bed. I also made a simple X endstop adjuster, as can be seen with the M3 socket screw in the center left of the first picture below. I also designed some legs to help stabilize the printer. They are a snug press fit to the wood sides.
For the belt end clips I used this from here: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/print ... or-g2-belt
I also made a new belt tension adjuster for the right side of the belt

Left_adapter_thingy.jpg

Right_adapter_thingy.jpg

Now the moment of glory... The Beast with its new shiny, smooth, flat, awesome, cool print bed!!
The_Beast_Is_Born.jpg

For the moment I have the PrintrBoard at the outside left rear of the printer. A few leftover chunks of balsa glued together make the base, with some velcro on the side of the bot and on the balsa hold it in place. The board is screwed into the balsa. I used some leftover water-cooling tubing wrap on the wires from the bot to the board.
Balsa_Temp_Printrboard_mount.jpg

As can be seen in the above pictures, I have a heat bed, 30 amp 12 volt power supply and a RAMPS 1.4 unit yet to be added on to the bot. I still have to get a new longer Acme rod as well as longer rods for the Y and Z.
The current print area is 200mm(x) x 100mm(y) x 80mm(z).
I am also going to design some new bed ends to simplify and lower back down the bed.

It's a start! :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChefScott
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The Simple Beast is born!

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Sep-Tue-09-Sep

To add some more to this.

The rods I used were from VXB via eBay, and that is who I will be getting the longer rods for the Y and Z mods.

The tubing coil I used for the wiring harness was from PerformancePC's. It comes in different colors and diameters.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... e8a3a50777

And the lovely MIC-6 bed is from our own Mach-Chris. This was from the original production run that they made.
This bed is made for the Metal Simple and is not a direct bolt on replacement bed for the 1405 Simple. It is a fantastic piece of work! :D
http://matrix-precision.com/

Once finished (is a 3D printer ever really finished?) the build size will be 200x200x200mm.

Currently I am designing new bed adapter mounts to get back the lost 20mm in build height to bring it back to 100mm for now. The next step is to get the PCB heater hooked up to the power supply and the PrintrBoard via a relay to allow me to print further parts I need for this build with ABS.

ChefScott

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Dec-Sat-21-Dec

To update this a bit now...

I have the PCB heater and relay installed. I still need to insulate the bottom to minimize heat loss.
I ordered the smooth rods for the Y and Z from VXB (406mm). Also ordered an ACME rod and various fasteners from McMaster-Carr.

I am going to switch to a E3D v6 hot-end and go with a Bowden setup as well. Maybe Santa will be nice and get that hot-end for me! :D
Future plans include either dual E3D v6's, or the upcoming Chimera from E3D. I was thinking of the Cyclops, but I would have the need for dual temperature control that the Cyclops does not offer.

Now it's time to start printing all the JonBot parts! :D

ChefScott

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Dec-Sun-12-Dec

All the parts I ordered have arrived, including a E3D v6. I will have to cut down the ACME rod to the length I need. First order of business is to start printing out the parts for the Jon Lawrence 1405 300mm No Sag mod. Once that is done and assembled my Simple will have an 8x8x10 print area.

Now to finish up the prints my son has me doing for him so I can get on with this. :D

ChefScott

Postby Jabberwocky » 2014-Dec-Mon-07-Dec

So how is the gear doing? Oh sorry The Best! It does look like one hell of a beast too :) And also what had your son make you print for him? How did that work out?

Jabberwocky
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Dec-Mon-09-Dec

I'm currently about halfway done printing all the parts for the 1405 No Sag Mod. All the parts I need are here now as well.

As for what my son had me printing, the better question is what did he not have me printing! :lol: He is a huge fan of TF2 (Team Fortress 2), so I have printed a Medic and the Pyro for him along with about a billion other requests.

The printer is printing superbly right now. My son has a tech class now and they have a Makerbot 2. He brought home his print from class (it's tiny). I asked for the .STL and printed it out as well. Needless to say my print is sooo much better, even his teacher could not believe that it came off of a PrintrBot. If I have a chance I'll post the pics of the two prints.

But, once I get through with the 1405 No Sag Mod, it will be time to print the JonBot parts for the base!

I also now have a second 12v 30amp power supply to replace the PrintrBot laptop brick.

ChefScott

Postby Corey Warren » 2014-Dec-Mon-19-Dec

ChefScott wrote:I'm currently about halfway done printing all the parts for the 1405 No Sag Mod. All the parts I need are here now as well.

As for what my son had me printing, the better question is what did he not have me printing! :lol: He is a huge fan of TF2 (Team Fortress 2), so I have printed a Medic and the Pyro for him along with about a billion other requests.

The printer is printing superbly right now. My son has a tech class now and they have a Makerbot 2. He brought home his print from class (it's tiny). I asked for the .STL and printed it out as well. Needless to say my print is sooo much better, even his teacher could not believe that it came off of a PrintrBot. If I have a chance I'll post the pics of the two prints.

But, once I get through with the 1405 No Sag Mod, it will be time to print the JonBot parts for the base!

I also now have a second 12v 30amp power supply to replace the PrintrBot laptop brick.

I love to hear things like this about our Printrbots. I take great pride (and I'm sure Brook does, too) that my $700 metal simple can print just as good or better than a $2000+ Makerbot.

Corey Warren

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Dec-Tue-13-Dec

The transparent blue on the left is from the MakerBot 2 at my son's school. The yellow print on the right is from my Printrbot.

MB-PB-top.jpg

MB-PB-side.jpg

MB-PB-bottom.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChefScott

Postby ChefScott » 2016-Jan-Thu-09-Jan

Finally over a year later I have more done to "The Beast". :D

The-Beast-Overall20160107.jpg

The-Beast-AirTripper-and-Spool-Holder-20160107.jpg

The-Beast-20160107.jpg

I'm redesigning the filament guide to better fit the PVC T fitting but it works well as it is. The hanging spool holder went through a few revisions before I managed to get it to not drop the spool out. :lol:

With the E3D V6 and the No Sag Y Mod this little beast can make some fantastic looking prints. Print area is now 200 mm (X) x 200 mm (Y) x 225 mm (Z).

The wiring is a mess at this point, but I am going to be switching over to the RAMPS card that I have, and at that point I will get rid of the wiring rats nest that I have now.

ChefScott

Return to Showcase