Total Y axis upgrade

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

Total Y axis upgrade

Postby plexus » 2013-Dec-Sat-00-Dec

Linear rail with sintered bronze flat bushings. 6016 3.1mm aluminum platen. MIC6 6.3mm heatbed machined flat. silicone bed heater. still using the GT belt. much more precise! i will do X and Z at a later date.

plexus
Site Admin

Total Y axis upgrade

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Total Y axis upgrade

Postby allanonmage » 2013-Dec-Mon-15-Dec

TOTALLY BADASS

What material did you make the bed out of? Did you make or order the aluminum print surface?

What is that steel looking beam underneath and how does it work?

Started with a Printrbot LC Kit; now it's a monster as big as a mid size fridge!
Single ATX Power supply, 650 watts, relay controlled heat bed
extra Z height (3+ ft) via longer rods, but I don't use it. Yet. To reduce wobble, I'm using thing:46082 under the Printrbot.
Dual heated beds, 1 currently working; space for a 3rd
Purple gluestick on glass seems to be sticky enough to get adhesion
FB album with pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ec287e8726

This was supposed to be a tool, not a series of projects... grrrrr......
allanonmage
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby plexus » 2013-Dec-Fri-20-Dec

The only Y axis was removed. I had been using GT2 which were carried over to the upgrade. I replaced the large 36T pulley with a smaller one. I was thinking I need more torque than speed with the heavier materials. jury is still out on that - i will try running the 36T and see if it works. more on is later...

The new Y is built on a PCB linear rail, low profile: http://www.pbclinear.com/UGA-Low-Profil ... near-Slide This rides on "frelon" bushings which are probably some kind of maintenance free teflon bronze bushing. maybe. they run smooth with little play. this was bolted to the base through the top. the platen is 6061, 3.18mm that i measured and drilled to sit on the rail car at its centre of gravity with the bed installed.

The bed is custom made 6.35mm MIC6 by heathyfatboy and his father. i am unsure if the guy is actually fat, but he does make a healthy print bed. the bed is machined flat on the top. on the bottom i had a channel routed out that will accept a 100k glass thermistor and a calibrated platinum temp sensor. the intention is to run the platinum sensor to a calibrated digital thermometer for more precise bed temp reading. i havent done the temp sensor work yet.

I am heating the bed with a QU-BD silicone heater. this heater rocks and get the bed to 75C in about 5 minutes. the bed is sitting on 5 springs with brass bolts and thumbscrews on the corners for leveling adjustment. I replaced the original Kickstarter PB+ motor with a kysen motor. it runs smoother and cooler.

I reused the belt clips I has on the original platen. I had to print. part to hold a bolt for the Y stop, no big problem.

So this upgrade has worked well. the prints turn out much better. My aim is to increase the speed and quality of the PB into the realm of printers in excess of $3000. this Y upgraded cost $250 in parts. It has improved the print quality where the consistency of the extrusion is more consistent. as you would imagine this is Y has very little play and so this imparts better quality in that regard. i will post pics soon.

I plan to do X the same way but I will have to design and print parts to hold the components. i will switch to PBC frelon bushings instead of linear bearings. i will retain the X motor and belt drive. i plan to replace the extruder with a direct drive PB aluminum extruder. I also will experiment with the all metal magma hotend. For Z the upgrade is to 10mm leadscrews and delrin nuts. all motors will be kysan.

the total cost will be around $600. so you are talking about $1600 for a printer that i think will equal or exceed anything in the $2000-4000 range.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Munson » 2014-Sep-Mon-08-Sep

Is there a lag in retraction on your x axis due to the extra weight of the plate?

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby plexus » 2014-Sep-Mon-11-Sep

Munson wrote:Is there a lag in retraction on your x axis due to the extra weight of the plate?

The plate is the Y axis. no issues. prints great.

plexus
Site Admin

Return to Showcase