New Bowden Mod on my PBJ

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

New Bowden Mod on my PBJ

Postby KDog » 2013-Aug-Fri-01-Aug

Hi All,

Still have a bit of calibration to do but wanted to show off my Bowden modded PBJ. I'm going to print out a fan mount for the extruder motor (It can get hot!) and am working on a new fan setup for printing PLA (yes...I took a saw to my printer!).

The extruder is the PG35L Microextruder from Ultibots.com. I bought the stepper and the hardware kit from them and printed the rest in ABS. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42112

The hotend mount is the Ubis Bowden mount at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:104005

One question: I attached the wires for the extruder fan to the two extra pins on the hotend header. I assumed this would work as the heated bed uses both sets of pins on the connector next to it. However...it doesn't come on when I turn the hotend on. Didn't check if the pins were active and have the board installed and tucked away. Hate to pull everything out again.

Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

KDog

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

New Bowden Mod on my PBJ

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Bowden Mod on my PBJ

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Aug-Fri-08-Aug

KDog wrote:One question: I attached the wires for the extruder fan to the two extra pins on the hotend header. I assumed this would work as the heated bed uses both sets of pins on the connector next to it. However...it doesn't come on when I turn the hotend on. Didn't check if the pins were active and have the board installed and tucked away. Hate to pull everything out again.

The heaters are turned on and off at intervals in order to maintain a set temperature, so your fan will only run intermittently. The Printrboard has a connection point specifically for a fan; why not use it? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3922

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby KDog » 2013-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

I was saving the fan header for the hotend for printing PLA. My thinking is that the extruder fan will be on all the time and not on the same circuit as the hotend fan. The only reference I found concerning this was someone who hooked it up the the hotend resistor but, of course, that makes no sense given the on/off behavior of the heater circuit. Are there any other pins on the board that can provide the power for a fan?

Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Aug-Fri-13-Aug

If you get a fan that runs off 5V, I guess you could use the spare "endstop" connector. Usually that's the "E-Stop" connector, but sometimes E-stop and Y-stop get switched. Anyway, these three-pin connectors have Ground, +5V, and "switch" connections. The "Ground" end is toward the power connector end of the board; the "switch" pin is toward the thermistor plug end of the board.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Fri-15-Aug

Looks good KDog. I'm sure you'll make a few people pee their pants by cutting your bot, but hey... whatever you want to do! :D

Was this your first Bowden? What was your experience with it? I've put my bowden plans on hold right now to work on a DDE conversion personally, but am still eager to see/hear other people's experiences.

Love all the photos! Keep 'em coming.

-Sam

Printrbot Jr. - July 2013 Model | Heated Bed | Brass M8 Rod | GT2 Pulley/Belt | Tool Less Belt Tensioners - by Mochaboy | Jr. Printr Cup

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby Lemm » 2013-Aug-Fri-15-Aug

can you post first print results ?
I'm back from bowden cause I can't handle the filament stripping while moving.

Printrbot Jr #11045
ACME TR10x2 Z Rod
GT2 Timing Belt with 20T aluminum pulleys
Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr v1 -> v2 upgrade http://sdrv.ms/15fDDud
http://www.thingiverse.com/Lemm
Lemm
ACME leadscrew

Return to Showcase