My Printrbot+ (with trimmings)

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Fri-21-Apr

Lots of mods. too much to list.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My Printrbot+ (with trimmings)

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Apr-Sat-07-Apr

An interesting mount for the Viki. I was wondering where I was going to put mine. How do you have it attached to the rod?

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Apr-Mon-14-Apr

Aging eyes want to know, seems things just aren't as bright as they used to be :)

How well does the under-bridge lighting work? I ordered one similar to yours, but it came with 3 dead LEDs (seller immediately shipped a replacement which hasn't arrived yet). Are you happy with where it's mounted? Is it too close to the bed on lower layers?

Thanks!

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Mon-15-Apr

@holmes its just one from thingiverse. i cut notches in it for the threaded rod and used washers and nuts to hold in place it moves around a bit which is ok because i can aim it at my face depending on if i am standing or sitting

@moose i actually have the strip on both the bottom facing edge of the X bridge wood and on the front. i use black tape the mask the front facing LEDs so they aren't beaming directly at me but provide some forward emitted light to compliment the downward emitted light from the other strip.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Apr-Mon-15-Apr

Can you link to the Thing? I searched TV for "viki" and the only thing that turned up was some sort of metal mount for a different printer.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Mon-21-Apr

holmes4 wrote:Can you link to the Thing? I searched TV for "viki" and the only thing that turned up was some sort of metal mount for a different printer.

that is very strange holmes... i get this link and 3 results all are panel mounts for the viki http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=viki&sa=

this is the specific thing http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:71343

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Dick Brewster » 2013-Apr-Mon-22-Apr

How are the Oldham couplers working for you? Where did you get them?

Backer #30 Lincoln California, Home of the Printrbot
Dick Brewster
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Tue-13-Apr

Dick Brewster wrote:How are the Oldham couplers working for you? Where did you get them?

they work well. i got them on ebay. more generally they are "spider couplers" the top and bottom are indpendent and held together with the red plastic which provides some axial play but no radial play.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Apr-Sat-11-Apr

I think my next few upgrades are going to be acme rods, spider couplers and my z axis motors. I had smaller z axis steppers but I ended up taking them off because they were not up to my standards. They were real slow and low torque. I like your Vicki setup plexus. I've used spider couplers in the past for my desktop cnc and they are the best option out there for the price. Thanks plexus for the great post on your printrbot. I always like seeing what other people are doing with their bots. Happy building guys!

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby pkreitler » 2013-May-Fri-15-May

Plexus. What do you use to capture the x-bridge nuts that ride on the z-threaded rods? I am using wing-nuts with the x-bridge resting on them. They seem to work ok, but I'm not sure if there is a better solution.

pkreitler
Loading filament...

Postby plexus » 2013-May-Fri-16-May

pkreitler wrote:Plexus. What do you use to capture the x-bridge nuts that ride on the z-threaded rods? I am using wing-nuts with the x-bridge resting on them. They seem to work ok, but I'm not sure if there is a better solution.

Good quality bearings and parallel 12mm rods so the bridge slides up and down smoothly. then there is no need to capture the nuts.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby pkreitler » 2013-May-Fri-20-May

Isn't it necessary to capture the nut to some degree so turning the threaded rod doesn't result in a spinning nut as well? The x-bridge must rest on the nut to prevent it from falling. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Within the nut-box at each end of the x-bridge, do you have anything special to keep the nut from spinning and the x-bridge from falling? Or, do you just have a nut sitting in there. On my PB, the right side of my bridge had the nut "captured" by the two small slots on the bottom. On the left side of my bridge, the nut would slip because of a defect in the wood. I replaced the nuts with wing nuts that fit into the slots to prevent slippage.

pkreitler
Loading filament...

Postby plexus » 2013-May-Fri-21-May

On my PB+ the laser cut design already accounts for this by making the channel slightly larger than the flat-to-flat width of the nut; there are two channels cut out of the wood to make room for the points. this keeps the nut from turning.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby plexus » 2013-May-Sat-00-May

Here's another shot. im doing a presentation for my client in Dallas next week and will show pictures of the printer and a few home projects where I did repairs with the printer.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Postby Arvin » 2013-Jun-Sat-08-Jun

Hey plexus. Like the look of the stained wood. Wish I had finished the plywood bed on my printrbot. I will when I change the y belt. If it ever goes bad like the x did. I replaced it with GT2 and new pulley as well.

I see you have the viki on top. Did you ever get it to work for printing? Mine's still nicely wrapped and sitting here looking at me sadly. I was hoping you or someone else would get it working and post how!

Kickstarter backer #517 [standard printed PB]
Arvin
Levelling print bed...

Return to Showcase