Steggo: The expanded printrbot with heat, legs and octoprint

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

Postby theintrospective » 2015-Nov-Sat-02-Nov

Prints 234mm x 214mm x245mm reliably and accurately. Will go a little further, but then it loses accuracy.

Upgrades: Printrbot LCD, Printrboard F, Matrix Z upgrade, homebrew XY upgrade with heated bed

Printed upgrades:
Z-rod silencer by Eric Haskins
Legs by Gary Nelson
LCDBox to work with legs by Stanley Zygo
Open cable chain by Eddie Matejowsky

Custom upgrades:
Stego-links based on above open cable to push spool out of the way of the cable chain,
Custom bed link for running heated bed wires
Computer enclosure based on Big Cooter's lcd case. Contains Raspberry pi 2, Adafruit 7" high-res IPS screen, HDMI screen driver (powered by PSU box)
PSU enclosure baed on the desktop power supply by Makedave. Contains Silverstone 45watt SFX PSU, USB hub (two external, two internal ports), switches and LED.
X/Y upgrade includes: Aluminum print bed for Plus, 8" heat plate, longer 8mm for both bed and gantry, rear printed gantry brace (loosely based on Matrix's design)
Eliminated auto-level and 'wing heat bleed' by using heavy flex washers and manually adjusted the bed level. I haven't needed to relevel it in three monts.

Things to go:
Camera
Gantry light
Updated extruder upgrade (or design a gear drive)
On the fly adjuster for no-touch probe (have a design in mind)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theintrospective
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Steggo: The expanded printrbot with heat, legs and octop

Postby cacb » 2015-Nov-Sat-09-Nov

Very cool upgrade, nice work. Are you running slicing in OctoPrint on the Pi2? I use OctoPrint with the original PI (arm6, single core) with a wireless wifi dongle, and simply upload .gcode files for printing. I would not want to be without OctoPrint.

For the wing heat bleed issue I came up with this solution http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:849772 , I have been using it for a few months now, and it is quite effective.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Re: Steggo: The expanded printrbot with heat, legs and octop

Postby theintrospective » 2015-Nov-Sat-16-Nov

What you can't see is the heat shield underneath the print bed so there's no heat lost out the bottom. The spring washers transfer VERY little heat to the wings. I can hit 125 stably. Due to the fact I'm using a rigid heat plate instead of a silicon one, it does take a while to generate that much heat, though. 65 degrees in about 6-8 minutes depending on ambient.

theintrospective
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Showcase