My 1405

Talk about, and show off your Printrbot and accessories

My 1405

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Aug-Mon-18-Aug

Well this is my 3d printer and the area around it. Simple Wood 1405, nothing too impressive. Ubis metal hotend and a heated print bed. I made a filament guide and added that to the top of the printer. The new power supply is behind it, multi purpose power suppy I might add. Going to use it for my electronics projects as well. Both of which sitting on my custom built pc. Win 7 ultimate, amd dual core. I need to upgrade it but this is my work area.

Has anyone done anything for the wiring nightmare? Lol kinda messy n drives me crazy. Are their any mods that would be very good to do on this printer?

Joe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

My 1405

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My 1405

Postby Agent0range » 2015-Aug-Mon-22-Aug

I made a box and mounted it to it. I hide all the psu wires in it but you could run the other wires in there also. Here the newish pic I have of it. It's also have my filament cabinet in the pic also.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Agent0range
Loading filament...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Aug-Tue-18-Aug

Nice set up. I thought about moving my controller board elseware. I take it its a good idea to temp n humitity control the filament?

Joe

Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby Agent0range » 2015-Aug-Tue-23-Aug

I don't worry about temp I just have a dehumidifier in there running 24 7. Then empty it when it get full.

Agent0range
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Wed-08-Aug

Agent0range wrote:I don't worry about temp I just have a dehumidifier in there running 24 7. Then empty it when it get full.

What is the normal temperature and relative humidity in your room?

Somehow I don't seem to have the same kind of problems with humidity in my PLA filaments. Room temperature is about 20-21C and relative humidity 50-60% (summer). Probably drier during the winter.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Wed-08-Aug

cacb wrote:
Agent0range wrote:I don't worry about temp I just have a dehumidifier in there running 24 7. Then empty it when it get full.

What is the normal temperature and relative humidity in your room?

Somehow I don't seem to have the same kind of problems with humidity in my PLA filaments. Room temperature is about 20-21C and relative humidity 50-60% (summer). Probably drier during the winter.

You are lucky, right now here its 10pm so its getting cold, its a chilly 32c with 75% humidity. Tomorrow at noon we will hit 36-40c, thank god for air conditioning.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Wed-12-Aug

thawkins wrote:You are lucky, right now here its 10pm so its getting cold, its a chilly 32c with 75% humidity. Tomorrow at noon we will hit 36-40c, thank god for air conditioning.

I was recently in Thailand, I know how it is. Warmer than 32c and very humid. Not good for filaments :) Interestingly, at 7:30pm my weather station here in Norway shows 21c and 38% humidity outside. Warmer and drier than average this summer, it has been cool and wet.

So how humid does it have to be before the filaments are noticeably affected?

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Wed-13-Aug

Still cold here, with temps down to 0C overnight. Which is a problem, because my printer is in my unheated garage, so I have to preheat the nozzle to get it above 5 degrees before Marlin will believe that the thermistor isn't broken.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby thehair » 2015-Aug-Sun-00-Aug

jknightandkarr wrote:Has anyone done anything for the wiring nightmare?

My wiring has definitely gotten out of hand. Maybe someday I will try to fix it

thehair
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sun-02-Aug

Oh dear... a nice dish of spaghetti!

Why not print a nice cover for the printrboard, large enough to allow the wires to be tucked inside.

I recognise a Raspberry PI with a PI camera + an extra long ribbon cable (red box). What is the green box for, it looks perhaps like an Arduino being controlled from the PI GPIO pins? What is it doing?

cacb
Support material...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Aug-Sun-23-Aug

Lol and I thought my wiring was bad. If this was a contest, you'd deffinatly win.

Joe

jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby thehair » 2015-Aug-Mon-00-Aug

Do I get a prize for winning!?! Haha yeah a case/cover for the Printrboard is on my to-do list. I just recently added the switching "led" power supply and moved the Printrboard out from under the bed, so i haven't gotten around to cleaning up the wiring mess.

The green box is a relay board controlled by the PI gpio pins. Right now the relay controls a cooling fan on my extruder and some lights. I'm working on controlling the relay through octoprint so that i don't have to physically turn things on/off. Right now i have it set up so that the fan turns on when any non-zero hot end temperature is set, and turns off with a zero temperature setting. I'm still working out some of the kinks on the software side, but having the automation has been really nice so far.

thehair
Loading filament...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2016-Jan-Mon-13-Jan

Mod.jpg

Well I have been out for a while and while out, I have done a couple of mods to my 1405 printer.
The first one being the addition of a heated print bed, and the second being, I took the cover from my old non-funtional TI-81 graphing calc and used it. I drilled 7 holes, 4 for the controll board mounts, and 3 for mounting the cover on the side. I had to do some trimming to get the cover to clear the bed, but it works. The wiring part still needs something done. That mess driving me crazy, but for now will work...

Joe

jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Return to Showcase