MakerGeek Conductive Filament

Talk generally about other printers

Postby jordiLucero » 2015-Mar-Thu-13-Mar

I am trying to 3D print using the MakerGeek Conductive filament on a MakerBot Replicator, and I'm having a lot of trouble. Has anyone successfully done this?

jordiLucero
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MakerGeek Conductive Filament

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Mar-Thu-21-Mar

Have you tried the Makerbot Users Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/makerbot-users)?

They know quite a bit more about Makerbot issues than most folks on this forum.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby Rocketrey » 2015-Mar-Fri-13-Mar

I am also trying to use makergeek conductive filament on rep2x with no luck (yet). Our biggest challenge (after we learned to cool the extruders to 190C) is achieving continuous filament extrusion when printing. We measured our filament diameter at 1.6mm (vs standard 1.75) and made the necessary correction in a custom profile. We also tightened the feed screw in the extruder assembly as tight as it will go and still we cannot seem to get continuous flow.

Does anyone have further suggestions on how to characterize a new filament on a new machine? I think the principles are the same no matter what type of machine being used.

Thanks!!!

Rocketrey

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Mar-Fri-14-Mar

Both of these userIDs come from Vscaler VPN IPs (which means they're hiding where they originate, and it's a strange coincidence they're both using the same VPN company; maybe they're just getting around the firewall at work...), and while applicable to this Other printers subforum aren't all that relevant to Printrbots. This doesn't guarantee they're spammers, and it is an interesting topic, but it does raise some flags. Hope I'm wrong...

Taken from another source I couldn't (re)find quickly, the best way I've found to determine the correct print temperature is to use a single perimeter object (I like this 40 x 10 calibration object scaled up 2 or 3 times. It's got both 90 degree corners and a large radius curve) that's big enough to not have any small=print cooling problems, slice it with the lowest temperature you think might print, then hand edit the gcode to increase the temperature 5 degrees every 5 mm (or some other consistent layer thickness, but 5's easy to measure). Print, then take a close look at how the different temps look for both bonding and finish quality, and how well the straights, corners, and curve printed. The best looking section is your best print temp. You might need to play around with cooling fan settings depending on the material, although I doubt you'll need a fan for this abs based filament.

Why is cooling the extruder an issue? Is that a Makerbot thing? 190's not an unusual print temp. Flow issues might mean you're printing at too low a temperature and requiring too much feed pressure (for those who don't know MB uses a screw pressing against the filament to to adjust tension). Makergeek recommends 200 to 230 so 190s a bit low. What are you going to use the stuff for? While it's conductive it's not real conductive - they say 10K ohms/cm (wonder if that's really 10K ohms/square?) so you'd be hard pressed to even light an LED through it. Just curious; at first glance it didn't seem all that useful, but I'm often wrong...

Good Luck!

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Rocketrey » 2015-Mar-Fri-15-Mar

HA! It turns out that a co-worker also posted here on the exact same thing we are working on together! We are not spammers!

Anyway, the filament is black and "dirty"- you can actually draw with it (probably from carbon black impregnated in the ABS). We are working on printing fixturing (amongst other things) for electronic circuit boards. The conductivity we need is to control static electricity so we don't cause ESD damage to our product.

Thanks for the tips and lets keep the conversation in general going as there are plenty of other filaments we want to use in the future as well. This topic applies to all of us!

Thanks,

Trey

Rocketrey

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Mar-Fri-15-Mar

Rocketrey wrote:HA! It turns out that a co-worker also posted here on the exact same thing we are working on together! We are not spammers!

Cool! Glad to see my usual skepticism is misplaced today!

ESD protection is one if the things that filament looks good for; let us know how it works out for you. Will it be too soft to last very long?

Bump up that temp, even 200 can be pretty low for ABS depending on the chemical mix and whatever else is in there. Are you getting it to stick OK? Don't know how it would work on a MB's print platform, but we're having good luck with abs and elmer's washable school glue stick. 100 to 110C is a good bed temp for the regular stuff, but no idea what it takes to make abs and soot to stick.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby jordiLucero » 2015-Mar-Fri-15-Mar

Mooselake wrote:Bump up that temp, even 200 can be pretty low for ABS depending on the chemical mix and whatever else is in there. Kirk

Hi Mooselake,

We actually started out with a higher temp (~230) and the filament burned and smoked as it came out of the extruder. After looking on MakerGeeks website, someone mentioned that they could only print it at very slow speeds and very low temps - they said they were printing ~135C! We bumped down the temp from 230C and found that we couldn't go much lower than 190C. The burning has stopped.

We haven't had too much problem with sticking to the heated platform, and have kept it right around that range of 100-110C.

Have you had any problems in using different filaments with your printer, or have you used the MakerGeek Filament?

jordiLucero

Postby mitchejt » 2015-Mar-Fri-19-Mar

Proto-Pasta makes a 1.75mm PLA conductive filament.. Nice stuff check it out

mitchejt

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Mar-Sat-10-Mar

jordiLucero wrote:We actually started out with a higher temp (~230) and the filament burned and smoked as it came out of the extruder. After looking on MakerGeeks website, someone mentioned that they could only print it at very slow speeds and very low temps - they said they were printing ~135C! We bumped down the temp from 230C and found that we couldn't go much lower than 190C. The burning has stopped.

We haven't had too much problem with sticking to the heated platform, and have kept it right around that range of 100-110C.

I found we'd discussed the stuff a while back. Google wasn't much help finding out any information (which you probably already know :) ) about print temperature, but since Makergeeks claims good high and low temperature resistance it's a bit surprising it takes such a low temperature to print.

Here in Printrbot land the Marlin firmware we use has a configured 170C lower limit, below that it prevents extrusion with a cold extrusion prevented error. It can be lowered or removed by rebuilding the firmware. I'm not familiar with MB firmware, but think 190s too low a limit. Do you mean that below 190 this filament wouldn't print, not that you can't set a lower temp? Interestingly, Google gives me a lot of hits on this forum when searching for print temps with MG conductive filament, don't know if thats because we're an amazing resource, exceptionally chatty, or they bias my searches in their quest for world domination.

jordiLucero wrote:Have you had any problems in using different filaments with your printer, or have you used the MakerGeek Filament?

I've never used conductive filament, but others here have. There's been a lot of different types of filament printed here. I've had (and caused) lots of problems over the last couple years... I'd recommend something like the temperature test above, and since Makergeeks has a reputation for good customer service ask them what's going on, if you haven't already. 135 is way below their claimed printing range, so either there's a lot of batch to batch variability or MG needs to update their info.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Mar-Sat-10-Mar

mitchejt wrote:Proto-Pasta makes a 1.75mm PLA conductive filament.. Nice stuff check it out

Hard to do that when it's still pre-order only...

It looks like they actually met their Kickstarter fulfillment schedule, so maybe there's some hopes of actually getting it. The KS comments look to be favorable. The price seems good.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to General