The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Talk generally about other printers

The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Fri-17-Mar

Not really an official announcement, but I figured I would share it with PBT first!

Here is the 99% complete Thingystock V2! (Ignore the messy table...)

IMG_20150313_175439.jpg


Some notable changes include
* Magnetic effector - ZERO backlash
* Aluminum bed - Glass breaks, aluminum doesn't
* Auto-calibration WITHOUT the probe! - The alu bed allows me to use the hotend and bed as a probe combo, meaning there is perfect repeatability and no pesky endstops for calibration
* No clips - while clips were great in theory, screws are the better option. Mounting brackets built into the top and bottom frame allow mounting of everything; no clips required!
* RAMPS board now mounts on top - less intrusive and uses less wire
* And a lot more!

I'm really excited for this printer. It still runs on RAMPS, still has the amazing E3D V6, and is still completely open and expandable!

So how does it print? Here is a quick print sample of Makerbot's Laser Cat (Without lasers)

IMG_20150313_175454.jpg


So what's left to do? I just need to get some feet made from rubber - that's it!

What do you guys think?
  • 1

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by orangefurball on 2015-Mar-Mon-04-Mar, edited 1 time in total.
2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby Corey Warren » 2015-Mar-Fri-18-Mar

Wow. I'm very impressed. The print quality looks great to me. I'm really curious how the autoleveling works without a probe. If I didn't already have have several printers I'd be jumping on this right now.
  • 0

Corey Warren
Waiting for printbed temp...
 
Posts: 109
Joined: 2014-Feb-Wed-14-Feb
Reputation: 5

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Fri-18-Mar

Corey Warren wrote:Wow. I'm very impressed. The print quality looks great to me. I'm really curious how the autoleveling works without a probe. If I didn't already have have several printers I'd be jumping on this right now.

Being that the E3D is an all metal hotend and the aluminum build platform is.. well aluminum, it means that by attaching one lead from the endstop pin to the bed and one to the hotend, it means that each time the nozzle touches the bed it triggers the endstop (the logic has to be reversed for the Z min endstop of course)

It's also different from autoleveling, it's auto calibration to set the endstop offsets (not sure if you are familiar with deltas) and correcting for any concave/convex problems. It is only one during setup or if you make any changes to the printer (basically anything that changes how the printer behaves)

Edit: forgot to say thank you for compliments! Glad you like the design
  • 0

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby JonS » 2015-Mar-Sat-03-Mar

Very nice indeed, although the lack of laser is a bit of a let down. ;-)
  • 0

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
User avatar
JonS
ACME leadscrew
 
Posts: 388
Joined: 2013-May-Fri-22-May
Reputation: 20

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Sat-15-Mar

JonS wrote:Very nice indeed, although the lack of laser is a bit of a let down. ;-)

Thank you very much! I agree, lasers would have made the cat a lot better :(
  • 0

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Sun-16-Mar

image.jpg


Another day, another print! This time it's a high poly octopus! .1 mm layer height, very cool!
  • 0

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby etxbkst » 2015-Mar-Sun-18-Mar

Your print quality is outstanding! Is this an open source design or one you're going to be publishing? I'd love to build one.
  • 0

etxbkst
Waiting for extruder temp...
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 2013-Aug-Fri-00-Aug
Reputation: 2

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Sun-22-Mar

etxbkst wrote:Your print quality is outstanding! Is this an open source design or one you're going to be publishing? I'd love to build one.

Thank you! It absolutely is open source. I will be publishing the designs once I'm sure it's perfect.

Image

Here is another outstanding print, the Aria dragon model. .1mm layer height once again I'm amazed by how nice this prints!
  • 3

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby thawkins » 2015-Mar-Mon-02-Mar

orangefurball wrote:
Corey Warren wrote:Wow. I'm very impressed. The print quality looks great to me. I'm really curious how the autoleveling works without a probe. If I didn't already have have several printers I'd be jumping on this right now.

Being that the E3D is an all metal hotend and the aluminum build platform is.. well aluminum, it means that by attaching one lead from the endstop pin to the bed and one to the hotend, it means that each time the nozzle touches the bed it triggers the endstop (the logic has to be reversed for the Z min endstop of course)

It's also different from autoleveling, it's auto calibration to set the endstop offsets (not sure if you are familiar with deltas) and correcting for any concave/convex problems. It is only one during setup or if you make any changes to the printer (basically anything that changes how the printer behaves)

Edit: forgot to say thank you for compliments! Glad you like the design


What happens when the end of the hotend gets caked in plastic or a drip on the end, and do you really want to be pushing the hotend into the bed all the time?.
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: The All New Thingybot V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Mon-03-Mar

thawkins wrote:
orangefurball wrote:
Corey Warren wrote:Wow. I'm very impressed. The print quality looks great to me. I'm really curious how the autoleveling works without a probe. If I didn't already have have several printers I'd be jumping on this right now.

Being that the E3D is an all metal hotend and the aluminum build platform is.. well aluminum, it means that by attaching one lead from the endstop pin to the bed and one to the hotend, it means that each time the nozzle touches the bed it triggers the endstop (the logic has to be reversed for the Z min endstop of course)

It's also different from autoleveling, it's auto calibration to set the endstop offsets (not sure if you are familiar with deltas) and correcting for any concave/convex problems. It is only one during setup or if you make any changes to the printer (basically anything that changes how the printer behaves)

Edit: forgot to say thank you for compliments! Glad you like the design


What happens when the end of the hotend gets caked in plastic or a drip on the end, and do you really want to be pushing the hotend into the bed all the time?.

It's only used for calibration, not all the time. Before calibrating you just have to make sure the nozzle is cleaned off (which isn't that difficult)
  • 0

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Thu-18-Mar

Image

I have been testing the printer like crazy.

I printed a large bow in multiple pieces and a few smaller pieces that you see above.

To test the auto-calibration and what effects it may have, I ran a series of auto leveling routines that totaled about 18 hours of auto calibration. No negative effects happened, so I don't see any problem with it. I will be doing a 24 hour test soon (this simulates calibrating many many times)

More prints coming soon!
  • 0

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby tfmike » 2015-Mar-Fri-18-Mar

please release the files I wanna make one!
  • 1

tfmike
Waiting to connect to printer...
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2015-Mar-Wed-00-Mar
Reputation: 1

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-May-Wed-14-May

Time for another update!

This time it's all about the hot end. The E3D v6 is the best one out their in my opinion, but it is a bit overkill for the Thingystock. Luckily E3D released the Lite6 and I have been using it for a little while on my Thingystock.

IMG_20150506_144420.jpg
IMG_20150506_144433.jpg
IMG_20150506_144440.jpg
IMG_20150506_144545.jpg


This is one of the test prints. This was at a .1mm layer height and is beautiful. I can barely see the layers, overhangs are perfect, and the detail is flawless. The only thing I have to work on is the retraction. I had it set too high so there was some back pressure causing some oozing. The pictures really don't do it justice. It looks almost like a casing rather than a 3D print.

This test print is really making me lean towards using the Lite6 on the basic Thingystock and the E3D Cyclops on the dual color Thingystock (after testing that one, of course)

Thanks!
  • 0

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby msizemore » 2015-May-Thu-09-May

+1 for releasing the files. I'm starting to amass enough parts that it would be relatively cheap for me to put one of these together. Plus, my Simple Metal is nearly 6 months old now. It's about time it started replicating.
  • 1

Printrbot Simple Metal with Heated Bed, E3D v6, and Bowden Air
User avatar
msizemore
Waiting to connect to printer...
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2015-Apr-Sat-08-Apr
Reputation: 1

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jul-Tue-21-Jul

Right, so after a long time of redesigning and testing, I'm finally ready to release my design and start selling printers. Here is an update on what's going on and what will be happening.

I'll start by saying that the files will be going up the end of July to Thingiverse and Youmagine, some build instructions and calibration videos will go up shortly after that. These are meant for people who know what they are doing and will assume you have some sort of knowledge of 3D printers. They won't be fancy but will work well enough for now.

After that, I will be launching another Kickstarter campaign. This time for the Thingystock V2. I wanted to stay away from Kickstarter but decided it would be worth another shot. The reason behind going the Kickstarter route is that I can get a better idea of the initial demand and get a good first round of orders in.

If the Kickstarter isn't successful, I will still be selling the Thingystock V2, it will just be in a much smaller release and probably slower, but it will still be released.

I'm releasing the designs before the Kickstarter so people who have been waiting to make their own can stop waiting and so I can get feedback and maybe drum up some interest in the campaign/printer in general.

More info to come soon!
  • 0

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby frankv » 2015-Jul-Tue-22-Jul

A bit off topic, but, could you satisfy my curiosity and share why you wanted to stay away from KickStarter?
  • 0

frankv
First blob a success!
 
Posts: 518
Joined: 2015-Jan-Thu-12-Jan
Reputation: 17

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jul-Wed-01-Jul

frankv wrote:A bit off topic, but, could you satisfy my curiosity and share why you wanted to stay away from KickStarter?

So many projects go unfunded on there and the ones that do often times end up being scams. This leaves a bad taste in people's mouth in general with KS projects unless they are flashy or super cheap.

I don't have the skills to make a flashy campaign video, which makes it hard to communicate how high quality my product is to consumers, that's one of the biggest hurdles I see myself facing. I hope that releasing the files will show that I have a completed product, that is high quality and ready to go. Worth a shot!
  • 0

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jul-Wed-13-Jul

Yeah, the $3 mill Tiko KS started off by hiring legal and marketing firms. What's wrong with that picture?

Kirk
  • 0

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
User avatar
Mooselake
My next printer is...
 
Posts: 3509
Joined: 2011-Dec-Tue-23-Dec
Location: Moose Swamp, Upper Michigan, USA
Reputation: 170

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Oct-Sun-16-Oct

V2 files have been remodeled or discovered in my gmail account, all the files are now up!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1052789

Parts list and print list is available here http://www.thingybot3d.com/thingystock.html
  • 0

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Oct-Sun-17-Oct

I want one of these printers, PLEASE. Also I need the octopus file. Since I do enjoy steampunk I need a octopus.
  • 0

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
User avatar
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234
 
Posts: 308
Joined: 2015-Mar-Thu-14-Mar
Reputation: 5

Re: The All New Thingybot Thingystock V2

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Oct-Sun-17-Oct

bbrown64 wrote:I want one of these printers, PLEASE. Also I need the octopus file. Since I do enjoy steampunk I need a octopus.

Print one out! The files and everything are relatively easy to print!

Also, here is the octopus file http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7900
  • 0

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
User avatar
orangefurball
Laser scintillater
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr
Location: Scranton, PA
Reputation: 40


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests