RepRap Pro tricolor

Talk generally about other printers

RepRap Pro tricolor

Postby opb » 2015-Feb-Wed-15-Feb

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:50730

I was looking at various printers and I think I would like to build this(thingiverse thing:50730 #files), however, looking around the thingiverse site I'm getting more than a little confused. I download files only to find there are improved files for this that and the other. I'm to the point of not knowing what I need not to mention what these parts are since I'm very very new to this. I can't find a definitive list of .stl files and related hardware and electronics. Does anyone know where I can get a list of these things? Also since I'm knew to this should I be looking at some other model that is perhaps better? I have access to a commercial printer so I want to print as many of the parts possible.

Thank You
opb

Last edited by PxT on 2015-Feb-Wed-15-Feb, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
opb
Waiting to connect to printer...

RepRap Pro tricolor

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: RepRap Pro tricolor

Postby PxT » 2015-Feb-Wed-15-Feb

[mod note: Moved this to the "Other Printers" sub-forum]

The files you want to print are here: https://github.com/reprappro/Mendel/tre ... int-mendel
If you have access to a printer that can print at least 200mmx200mm then you can use the files in the Tray directory, otherwise use the individual files (possibly combining multiple pieces up the max X/Y capabilities of your printer)

Once you have everything printed you will also need the non-printed parts. You can buy them here: https://reprappro.com/shop/reprap-kits/ ... dware-kit/
or source the necessary parts yourself.

And finally, the most up to date assembly instructions are here: https://github.com/reprappro/Mendel/tre ... int-mendel

Now, having said all that if you are very new to this, then either a complete kit or a fully-assembled machine may be your best bet although that depends on how comfortable you are with assembling mechanical & electrical components, and how much tinkering you are willing to do. This message board is primarily focused on the Printrbot brand machines, so I'll recommend one of those. The Printrbot Metal Simple (assembled or kit) is pretty much the best entry-level printer you can get. MAKE Magazine named it the best value for 2015 out of a field of 30 or so printers.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby opb » 2015-Feb-Wed-16-Feb

Thank you PxT!!!!

I'm an old gear head from way back and I like to tinker so I don't believe I'll have any problems with the assembly.

Thank You!!

opb

opb
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Thu-11-Feb

If by gear head you mean you like tinkering with gears, there's a gear design forum at gearotic.com. It's mostly for the matching software, but there's also a fair amount of general gear design information.

Usual disclaimer, I bought the software several years back.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Feb-Fri-17-Feb

Mooselake wrote:If by gear head you mean you like tinkering with gears, there's a gear design forum at gearotic.com. It's mostly for the matching software, but there's also a fair amount of general gear design information.

Usual disclaimer, I bought the software several years back.

Kirk

Decades ago, back in the mid 20th century, a "gearhead" was someone who fiddled with and modified cars and motorcycles.

Ah, steel dashboards and pointy tailfins...Darwin had his work cut out for him.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Sun-09-Feb

Whoops, I knew that, somewhere back in the slightly foggy parts of my moosebrain.

The pointy tailfins had run their course a few years before I started driving. My grandmother gave my mom her 56 Chevy, and bought a new Chevy with fins so big I wondered why it couldn't fly. Probably could have if they just flapped a bit :-)

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Feb-Mon-16-Feb

'59 Cadillac.

Best. Tailfins. Ever.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Return to General