The Orange Furball Delta V1

Talk generally about other printers

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Sun-04-Dec

Printer is done! THe designs will be uploaded in about a week or two, followed by a Wiki page with all the info you need.

I ended up going against modifying existing designs except for the effector, extruder, and joints. I pretty much build everything else from scratch! The printer works really well!

Last edited by orangefurball on 2015-Jan-Wed-19-Jan, edited 3 times in total.
2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The Orange Furball Delta BI

Postby thawkins » 2014-Dec-Sun-06-Dec

orangefurball wrote:Hello!

I have always wanted a Delta style printer because of how awesome they look while printing. Problem was that the kits were normally expensive and looking more difficult to use than a Printrbot for example. Since my Jonbot is running really well I have decided to go along with my Delta build.

The goal was to make a Delta that was almost all printed. No extruded aluminum, just printed parts. While I have no idea how well it will work, it should be relatively strong. The secondary goal was to make it as cost effective as possible.

The entire printer can be made on a 200mm x 200mm printer and the cost should be well under $500. I will be done printing it in about a week and should have all of the parts in soon after Christmas.

As of now, it will run on a RAMPS 1.4 board and use a knockoff E3D Bowden hotend. The printer will be small enough to fit on a desk but yet still have a build volume greater than 6 inches cubed.

I took inspiration from multiple Delta designs out there, and will update it with sources upon uploading it to Thingiverse. I will post pictures on progress as it is made! This will be my second functional 3D printer design but my first Delta, so I'm pretty excited!

Interesting... once i get my orange jondanbot running, my next bot will be a CoreXY bot with a lowering table. This is because i have become enamoured of enclosed bots, and making a cube out of printed corner pieces and steel curtain rail tubing is easy.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Re: The Orange Furball Delta V1

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Sun-17-Dec

thawkins wrote:
orangefurball wrote:Hello!
Interesting... once i get my orange jondanbot running, my next bot will be a CoreXY bot with a lowering table. This is because i have become enamoured of enclosed bots, and making a cube out of printed corner pieces and steel curtain rail tubing is easy.

The CoreXY looks awesome, Its similar to my Thingybot design except in that, the bed is stationary while the entire assembly goes up.

Got a lot of printing done today. Still no parts as I've only ordered them a few days ago, but the printed parts are perfect so far.

You should be able to see that the frame is split into 3 sections so it can be printed easily. They all fit together perfectly with more than enough screws (6 per segment, 18 per frame) and the bracing on the frame is extremely strong.

Endstop mounts are a bit wonky, I was planning on figuring that out when I have the not together, but I left a large mounting point where I can make a small adapter.

More to come soon!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Mon-16-Dec

I got a ton if the parts made now!

Just have to figure out a RAMPS box, RDSC case is printing now, then I just need to do a simple extruder mount and a spool holder.

I decided to cheat a bit for the bed mount, I'm going to use a piece of aluminum for it as I had it lying around and it's easy enough to mount on the OFD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Tue-02-Dec

OFDV1.png

There is the 3D model of the Orange Furball Delta V1!

There is roughly 40 printed parts for the printer, including the RAMPS and RDSC LCD mounts. A lot of these parts are just gathered from Thingiverse and will most likely be replaced with my own designs for the V2.

The LCD seems to stick out, but the mount enables it to be tucked away when not in use, leaving the form factor small enough to fit on a moderately sized desk.

The parts seem to be fitting together really well, and I plan on releasing them at the end of the month. Just being able to play with the Rostock movement on the short rods is amazing, I cannot believe how stable the hot end mount is!

The runners from my first design had a few issues. The rod spacing was wrong by a couple millimeters so it wasn't fitting perfectly on the rods. It fit, but it was hard to move. MY GT2 retention mechanism was also a fail. But luckily I was able to whip up a new design quick and everything is smoother than ever!

All printing is complete except for the power supply, but that is not a necessary part yet. The next phase is firmware.. yay.

Once the firmware is sorted, and the parts come in, assembly will commence. With the winter holidays fast approaching, the mail is quite slow. Oh well, at least I have more time to finish the firmware!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Tue-16-Dec

Whipped up some clamps to hold the aluminum in, and wow it fits great! No need for screws, glue, or zip ties.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby mechanizedmedic » 2014-Dec-Tue-17-Dec

thawkins wrote:Interesting... once i get my orange jondanbot running, my next bot will be a CoreXY bot with a lowering table. This is because i have become enamoured of enclosed bots, and making a cube out of printed corner pieces and steel curtain rail tubing is easy.

I'm still torn between building a delta or Hbot. But, RichRap created what I consider to be a superior pulley/motor setup called Sli3DR. It's really nice... http://www.3ders.org/articles/20141107- ... files.html

Either way, if I can't get better prints out of whay I have then neither one will get off the ground for me. :(

"Metal shavings are my glitter"
blog.mechanizedmedic.org
mechanizedmedic
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Wed-01-Dec

More progress in the bed mounting area! My clips to hold the metal sheet on worked flawlessly and 4 small "nuts" holds the bed screws in just fine. This is so good, I might have to make a kit available in the future!

Starting work on some of the drawings for assembly, I just have a knob some sort of spool holder left to make

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Wed-17-Dec

All of the parts are here!

Hopefully I'll be able to assemble the whole thing tomorrow. The rods and hot end took forever to come!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Thu-18-Dec

Well, here's where I am now. Found enough time to build this thing today, everything mechanically seems to work, endstops are at least functional, but I can't print. Not sure what the issue is, I posted in a Delta specific Google Group so I'm just waiting to see where that gets me!

Hopefully I'll be printing soon! I was able to get the thing to move around a but though.. my goodness Deltas look so awesome while moving!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Mon-21-Dec

Well the mechanics are now working, the heatbed went out the window for now though. I don't need one on here and I can always add it later. I printed some clips that hold a glass square on for now!

The hotend I got was no good. Clogs like crazy, so I am waiting on a replacement for that.

And my RAMPS board was acting up, not sure if it was the shield or Arduino, so u bought a replacement of each. If its the shield I will have a backup Arduino, if its the Arduino, I'll have a backup shield. Nothing wrong with backups!

More updates to come when parts come!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Thu-00-Jan

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/07/e26c487b6bf7ad227cf4bdcb215b7f2c.jpg[/img]

A few revisions later and it prints!!!!!

More info to come soon!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Sat-13-Jan

Decided to post some test prints, there are a few objects including an owl, a dog, a "lucky cat", and a whistle. I also printed out s bunch of MAKE magazine's 2015 printer test pieces and they came out surprisingly good.

The last picture is showing my part cooling setup, there are three fan ducts that I designed that provide enough cooling all around the part to make overhangs amazing, the MAKE overhang test came out perfectly even up to the 70 degree angle!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby kbowen99 » 2015-Jan-Sat-15-Jan

Looks like an awesome printer! are you going to publish your parts online?

kbowen99
Loading filament...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Sat-16-Jan

kbowen99 wrote:Looks like an awesome printer! are you going to publish your parts online?

Absolutely, I'm also going to start selling them once I get everything situated with manufacturers.

I'm still improving the design little by little, the fans were a huge improvement too. Really liking the printer so far.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby kbowen99 » 2015-Jan-Sat-23-Jan

How much would you estimate the price your printer at (just mechanical parts), Just curious...

kbowen99
Loading filament...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Sat-23-Jan

kbowen99 wrote:How much would you estimate the price your printer at (just mechanical parts), Just curious...

That's still to be determined but probably around $450-500 but that's also using an E3D v6 hot end instead of the knockoff that's in the picture, build volume is a 5" circle and a 6-8" build height. Still gotta figure out a definite price though.

That uses all name brand parts except for the RAMPS board (at least for now, like I said more to figure out) that means motors and hot ends and all that stuff will be from reputable manufacturers.

Edit: just realized you meant without the plastic printed parts, in that case it'd be $400 probably!

Edit2: realized I put the wrong number, I meant 5" circle not 6". But that's different now anyway, its actually a 5" square. I know printing with a square build plate on a Delta is strange but I'll post some stuff tomorrow explaining how it works!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby kbowen99 » 2015-Jan-Sun-11-Jan

orangefurball wrote: printing with a square build plate on a Delta is strange but I'll post some stuff tomorrow explaining how it works!

Sounds cool, are you able to use the full square or do you use a circle within that (probably cheaper than a round plate)?

kbowen99
Loading filament...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Sun-13-Jan

kbowen99 wrote:
orangefurball wrote: printing with a square build plate on a Delta is strange but I'll post some stuff tomorrow explaining how it works!

Sounds cool, are you able to use the full square or do you use a circle within that (probably cheaper than a round plate)?

Its a full 125mm square! I was able to do it because in my design I used longer arms

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby kbowen99 » 2015-Jan-Sun-13-Jan

orangefurball wrote: Its a full 125mm square! I was able to do it because in my design I used longer arms

Really Cool! I didn't know that was possible...

kbowen99
Loading filament...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Sun-15-Jan

kbowen99 wrote:
orangefurball wrote: Its a full 125mm square! I was able to do it because in my design I used longer arms

Really Cool! I didn't know that was possible...

Yes! I printed a 125mm cube last night (note the horrible quality because the walls are .4mm thick and the top and bottom are .6mm)

The "retail" version will go 8 inches high too.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Tue-23-Jan

The design is really close to being finished, I didn't really have a spool holding method, so I decided to switch everything up. I moved the extruder to be mounted on the top frame and having a spool holder mounted there, this was a bit difficult because of how compact the printer is. So I decided to do it in levels. The extruder is even with the top frame, and the spool is about 30mm higher. The problem then is getting filament to the extruder, but a simple guide that is level with the spool holder with some PTFE made the system work.

Its printing even better Now. The force from the PTFE pushing from the side was a small issue, now its fine because it pushes downward!

And the final update, I took off the LED strip. It didn't do much anyway, and the decrease in power means it run from a 10 amp supply. So I ordered that and its a lot smaller. Still waiting for it to be delivered, but it will be mounted under the bed, meaning its totally out of the way.

There is also an option of using a laptop style brick, but I think I'll stick with the actively cooled designs. The RAMPS board will continue to be mounted on the outside so its easily accessible, and the LCD will be mounted on the front of the printer. Easy access yet out of the way and simple!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Wed-00-Jan

orangefurball wrote:Image

The design is really close to being finished, I didn't really have a spool holding method, so I decided to switch everything up. I moved the extruder to be mounted on the top frame and having a spool holder mounted there, this was a bit difficult because of how compact the printer is. So I decided to do it in levels. The extruder is even with the top frame, and the spool is about 30mm higher. The problem then is getting filament to the extruder, but a simple guide that is level with the spool holder with some PTFE made the system work.

Its printing even better Now. The force from the PTFE pushing from the side was a small issue, now its fine because it pushes downward!

And the final update, I took off the LED strip. It didn't do much anyway, and the decrease in power means it run from a 10 amp supply. So I ordered that and its a lot smaller. Still waiting for it to be delivered, but it will be mounted under the bed, meaning its totally out of the way.

There is also an option of using a laptop style brick, but I think I'll stick with the actively cooled designs. The RAMPS board will continue to be mounted on the outside so its easily accessible, and the LCD will be mounted on the front of the printer. Easy access yet out of the way and simple!

I am definitely going to be building one of these......... when are you going to be publishing the design?

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Wed-02-Jan

thawkins wrote:I am definitely going to be building one of these......... when are you going to be publishing the design?

Probably about a week, I'm still playing and getting everything working. I don't want any issues with assembly/people wasting material for no reason! I'm happy that someone wants to make one too, it is a good printer so far. I'm printing a better fan design now with better clearance. The other one was a bit too close to the bed and ended up bumping the clips that hold the glass down.

I'm also going to create a BOM soon, I have to do this anyway to figure out how to sell them for!

Most likely there will be a PDF with assembly instructions or maybe even an assembly video.

Last edited by orangefurball on 2015-Jan-Wed-04-Jan, edited 1 time in total.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Wed-03-Jan

orangefurball wrote:Most likely there will be a PDF with assembly instructions or maybe even an assembly video.

Can you not create a wiki page for it?

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Wed-03-Jan

thawkins wrote:
orangefurball wrote:Most likely there will be a PDF with assembly instructions or maybe even an assembly video.

I've never really done that before but that would probably be my best bet. What would be best to do it on?

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Wed-04-Jan

orangefurball wrote:
thawkins wrote:

I've never really done that before but that would probably be my best bet. What would be best to do it on?

There is one here

Http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki

But i dont know how you get an authors account.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Wed-04-Jan

thawkins wrote:There is one here

Ah yes of course! I'll try to figure out how to get an authors account soon.

Printing the final part I have designed, the new LCD case. I think this may be the final part to print all together provided I can mount the new power supply to the frame, should be in soon.

TS_LCD_RDSC.png

Ran out of orange filament on this piece of course, oh well, black will have to do!

Note: My windows is not pirated, I switched my motherboard and now it won't activate. Just in case anyone thought I was a thief :cry:

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby owens » 2015-Jan-Wed-09-Jan

You could also consider putting one on the reprap.org site: http://reprap.org/wiki/Development

owens
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Wed-12-Jan

Ask Plexus for a wiki account; spammers love wiki's, think thousands of accounts if you're not watching, so he approves account requests.

It'd be great if you kept it here. Add me to the interested list, too. Need a final home for the gear extruder and AMU.

Iirc you can call Microsoft support to fix that activation problem, but you'll need to dig a bit to figure out which number. I've done it, but it was quite a while back.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Wed-17-Jan

owens wrote:

You could also consider putting one on the reprap.org site: http://reprap.org/wiki/Development

Maybe, I would like to keep it here though. This is my 3D printer home :)
Mooselake wrote:Ask Plexus for a wiki account; spammers love wiki's, think thousands of accounts if you're not watching, so he approves account requests.

It'd be great if you kept it here. Add me to the interested list, too. Need a final home for the gear extruder and AMU.

Iirc you can call Microsoft support to fix that activation problem, but you'll need to dig a bit to figure out which number. I've done it, but it was quite a while back.

Kirk

Asked Plexus, thanks!

I'm definitely keeping it here, I would love if people used the design!

Fixing the windows activation is on my long list of tasks, its not super high up though because it doesn't really do anything except keep that watermark there. I tried to do it with another computer but they wouldn't approve it. I ended up using a crack to fix it, I paid for it anyway. Its a shame that Windows has so many issues with switching hardware!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Wed-17-Jan

Power supply mounted, LCD mounted, the design is complete!

Look at how much smaller this 10A power supply is compared to the 40A! Hopefully the 40 will drive my Jonbot better than the ATX one that's currently on it.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Fri-00-Jan

For anyone who wants to print, here are the current files.

http://goo.gl/haXoYM

The hotend mount is set up for an E3D v5 right now. It will be changed to v6 before the Wiki/public release.

Let me know if you have problems/questions!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Fri-01-Jan

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Fri-17-Jan

The Wiki page is now up on the Printrbottalk.com wiki.

http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... hingystock

Not finished, but I don't think its bad so far. Please let me know if my instructions are clear enough. These instructions are obviously meant for someone with experience building 3D printers, because it is not yet the full retail version.

There is a picture of most of the stuff I have printed up until now. The quality is really something else, It's better than my Jonbot.

I'm going to be launching a really small Kickstarter. I'm going to be asking for a few thousand only (not only, that's a lot, but I don't want to ask for an astronomical amount that will never be reached) I was hoping to get around doing a Kickstarter but that's really the only way to gauge interest. At $3000 that's only 6-7 printers.

Here are what the tiers will be;

Hardware only pack - no printed parts, but everything else you will need.

Kit - a partially assembled kit. Well, kit isn't really the word the it. Basically all you have to is place the rods in, tighten some screws, and clip on everything else. The top and bottom frame will come assembled, the effector/runner assembly will come assembled, it shouldn't take more than a half hour to build (depending on how fan you can tighten screws)

That's it. No fully assembled printer for now. Mainly because there's no need to have it fully assembled. The increased shipping cost for a small individual like me would be insane for a full printer and the kit takes basically no time to build. Now if somehow there is a lot of interest, there will be a fully assembled model, but I'm thinking that that is not going to happen.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Wed-18-Jan

Now funding on Kickstarter.

I didn't want to, but I had to get the price as low as I could (even at the small volume that I am asking for, it is still hard to get manufacturers to sell you affordable parts)

For anyone interested, you can visit the Kickstarter or my Thingybot website for more info.

Thanks!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Munson » 2015-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

I wish you good luck !!!

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Jan-Fri-15-Jan

Ooooh! Big-Time media coverage: http://3dprint.com/39113/thingystock-3d-printer/

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Fri-15-Jan

DonaldJ wrote:Ooooh! Big-Time media coverage: http://3dprint.com/39113/thingystock-3d-printer/

Wow!!!! That's so awesome! People seem to really like the design! Thank you for finding it!

I even have a few new parts that are ready to be installed, shorter arms for a larger build volume!

Just doing google search for Thingystock came up with a couple more articles, I never got any coverage for the Thingybot so this is pretty cool!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Jan-Fri-19-Jan

Good job. Good luck with the Kickstarter campaign.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Fri-20-Jan

evanalmighty wrote:Good job. Good luck with the Kickstarter campaign.

Thanks!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Tue-19-Jan

Just 23 days to go on the Kickstarter! Only 10% of the way to my goal though! If anyone is interested please check it out or ask me questions.

There has been some small updating to the printer, shorter arms to increase the Z height slightly, lowered the hot end for more stability and space for cooling, and went to an MK7 drive gear based extruder for better grip. Printing better than ever now!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Fri-18-Jan

I wrote a small update to the campaign, you can view that here.

It outlines some new changes to the printer, some more information on just how easy the kit is to assemble, and a price drop to the kit!

If you would like to help me out with the campaign, please share it on social media, with friends, family, or even on other 3D printing forums or groups that allow link sharing. Right now the only thing holding the campaign back is my inability to reach a large audience, so having whoever is willing to help me share it will make it a success!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Thu-18-Feb

Well, not much time left for the campaign! Looks like the V1 won't be successful, but I have some [magnetic] ideas in the works for the V1.5/V2

Stay tuned!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Wed-01-Feb

The Orange Furball/Thingystock V2 is well on its way. I have some different pulleys in mind for higher res printing and some better cooling for the extruder. But most importantly.. magnets!

1424240507475.jpg

There is ZERO backlash with these magnets and the hot end now mounts on magnets for easy maintenance. Not only that, but the entire effector can be removed and messed with without any joint removal. Really a much better printer.

Another bonus.. it is a bit quieter than the plastic joints. A great upgrade!

I'll post some pictures soon. Ignore the bad print quality on the mounts; I printed then on my "spare parts" printer.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Return to General