My next printer - Resin SLA

Talk generally about other printers

Postby Michael@Oz » 2014-Nov-Thu-06-Nov

While I love my Printrbot Original, my next printer is resin SLA,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... d/comments

I got one of the $950 AUD ones, but have to wait for Xmas 2016 :(

As an Ozzie I think the Australian innovation shown is a fantastic advance. No moving axes, air pressure to do the resin z level, water to do support etc. Brilliant.

Luckily I live in the same town, I am not associated, just a backer. Waiting for delivery.... I hope to get to see it working sooner tho.

I can see both Printrbot (reprap style) and resin working together for different purposes. Resin to build a repstrap to build a reprap ??

ImageKickstarter original. ** See all Printrbot Things in one spot HERE! <- I try to keep that thread compact, please assist by deleting transient posts
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My next printer - Resin SLA

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Dec-Fri-12-Dec

Looks like their KS campaign unfortunately failed. Wasn't it (planned) for Christmas 2015, not 2016, delivery?

The printer looks interesting, and nicely made. They seemed to get some good publicity. Maybe they'll do better on their relaunch, but a year out seems like a very long time in a field that changes this fast.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Michael@Oz » 2014-Dec-Fri-16-Dec

Yeh 2015, typo/stupido

Note the images are renderings, I suspect that many may have worked that out, and as they were not up front about that were wary.

I was OK with that as injection moulding is pretty straight forward.

Anyway, looking at a CNC to invest my money now :)

ImageKickstarter original. ** See all Printrbot Things in one spot HERE! <- I try to keep that thread compact, please assist by deleting transient posts
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Dec-Fri-17-Dec

Michael@Oz wrote:Anyway, looking at a CNC to invest my money now :)

That's a way to make a small fortune - from a large one :)

Check out Zenbot (it might be hard to get in Ozland), and maybe the Chinese 6040s (but watch out which controller). If you want to roll you own the Openbuilds Ox looks pretty interesting.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Munson » 2014-Dec-Fri-21-Dec

What zenbot do you recommend for a newbie at cnc Moose?

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Dec-Sat-10-Dec

The size that fits your interests, space, and budget. Their 24x24 seems like a good size.

I have their now discontinued mini, with a 6 x 8 inch cutting area, that I bought as unused second hand off eBay maybe 5 years ago at a great price. It was very educational, in ways (like a Printrbot...) I didn't expect. Also, like a 3D printer, buying the machine is only the start of the spending.

The size of the mini hasn't been much of a problem, although some of that has been concentrating on things that will fit. I've done some small circuit boards with Eagle and pcbgcode, lithophanes with linuxCNC's image to gcode, engraved plastic tags and other things with Inkscape and gcodetools, lots of wooden and plastic gears with Gearotic Motion (my only departure from open source), and just general dinking around. After frying the original Xylotex control board (no static protection on the drivers, a design defect, died after a couple months and the manufacturer claimed it was because I ran a shop vac near it) I replaced it with the bullet-proof Gecko G540 (survived a motor wire breaking while cutting), I went from a Dremel (crappy but cheap) to a Paul Jones spindle (too small for anything much bigger; I'd go with a brushless 800W or bigger), and run it with linuxCNC. I've added home switches (and learned a lot about homing and workspaces), played around with an enclosure, big aquarium pump chip blower, mini shop vac dust collection system, laser zeroing, and many other projects involving late nights and head scratching; probably spent as much time learning about the machine as using it, but that's just me. Right now it's half torn apart for rewiring (lets just say it was originally jury rigged and never improved...) and has been neglected way too long for the Printrbot.

I've been happy dealing with Zenbot. There's a fairly active user maillist and the couple times I've contacted the company they've been quick to respond and very helpful. When time and space allow (need to become a timelord with a Tardis) I want to build something that'll handle 48x48" (or 1.2x1.2m for the metric guys), but even then I'd keep the ZB for the smaller stuff. If it wasn't for my desire to build one I'd buy (and might anyway) another Zenbot.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Michael@Oz » 2014-Dec-Fri-05-Dec

Mooselake wrote:I've added home switches (and learned a lot about homing and workspaces), played around with an enclosure, big aquarium pump chip blower, mini shop vac dust collection system, laser zeroing, and many other projects involving late nights and head scratching; probably spent as much time learning about the machine as using it, but that's just me. Right now it's half torn apart for rewiring (lets just say it was originally jury rigged and never improved...) and has been neglected way too long for the Printrbot.
Kirk

Sounds like geek fun ;)

Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Return to General