Phoenix from Ez3D: a lot of promise.... be careful!

Talk generally about other printers

Postby wmweberE999I » 2014-Sep-Tue-11-Sep

In June I put down $200 and waited until now for delivery of a Phoenix. In the meantime I read a lot of posts on their website forum, and looked at a few photos that made me doubt the wisdom of my choice. Various Phoenix owners started a Facebook page, so I could see not only the pitfalls of this immature product but what printers some of them bought after their disillusionment with the Phoenix. All the parts that wouldn't fit together or warped with use, defects in the cast plastic, symptoms of a business unable to meet the demand they had created.

After hearing good reports about the Makerfarm Prusa i3v I picked out one with 10" cube build envelope, for about $600, and it's now almost on its way. The frame will be of good, trusted birch plywood, not iffy cast resin plastic.

Meanwhile, my request to cancel my order seems to have been ignored, and they might find some justification to keep my 50% deposit as an "abandoned order". Maybe the loss of $200 isn't so bad, considering what a completed order entails for extra work to get a Phoenix going. My Simple is a Cube or a Makerbot by comparison. Do you know someone considering a Phoenix from EZ3D? Send them to the Phoenix 3D Printer Owners page on Facebook and let them make an informed choice.

wmweberE999I
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Phoenix from Ez3D: a lot of promise.... be careful!

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Sep-Wed-09-Sep

After the big dollars brought in by Kickstarter 3D printer projects there's been a deluge of questionable designs and poor production practices. Buyer beware really is true.

I would have gone for one of the dibond or aluminum i3s. Let us know how your plywood one works out.

That said, this isn't the best place to complain about other printer vendors.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby wmweberE999I » 2014-Sep-Wed-12-Sep

Thank you, Kirk. Makerfarm's offerings appear reputable by the comments their buyers are making. Do you find wood printers too flexible? Maybe in the future I can get a metal frame and transfer all the machinery to it.

The Argument Clinic forum here is locked, and I think it was meant for PB products. Other Printers seemed a logical place to warn people against a Kick Start they'd end up kicking to the curb.

Again, for your next 3D printer, steer clear of Hard 3D.

wmweberE999I
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Sep-Wed-15-Sep

While I'm happy with my Plus I'd look for a stiffer and less warp free frame than plywood, although the use of Openbuild VSlot will help that a lot. I like the concept of the i3's aluminum build track better than the plywood one, but maybe that's just me. I'm real interested in hearing how well the hybrid approach works out.

The dibond (a aluminum/plastic/aluminum sandwich popular with sign makers) frame on Nophead's Mendel90 looks like a good, cheaper, alternative to aluminum. I've played with dibond (it goes under several brand names) with my CNC router, nice stuff to work with, got it as scrap from a couple sign shops.

I'm sitting a couple feet away from a box of vslot for a non-3D printer project so I admit to some bias there, too. Time to dig a bigger moosecave...

We could fill this entire forum complaining about KS projects that were either shady, or just plain didn't work out for whatever reason, but that's not our purpose. Sorry you got burned; you're not the first or last. There's a reason it's called backing a project and not buying a product, although that distinction is lost on a lot of KS users. Time to close this part of the discussion.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby wmweberE999I » 2014-Sep-Wed-20-Sep

Kirk,

To clear that up, I didn't back it, I bought it as a product, so the KS argument doesn't apply to my purchase.

wmweberE999I
Levelling print bed...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2014-Sep-Tue-18-Sep

I have never had many noticeable problems with a wooden frame as far as printing results go. However, I will acknowledge that plywood is much more delicate than the extrusions used on other printers. In fact, the custom printer I am building right now has a plywood frame, and as long as the structure I designed is as strong as it looks, I doubt there will even be problems with material strength.

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Return to General