Upgrade with existing parts

Talk generally about other printers

Postby jstylen » 2014-May-Sat-22-May

To be blunt, I'm just not happy with my printrbot as it is. I bought a printrbot simple kit and have been upgrading it where I can. I have belt mods on both X and Y. Extended both X and Y axis but had to shrink my Y axis as it was too unstable. Rather than redesign half the printer I would rather just build a new one that I know will be more reliable.

TLDR: What would be the best design to upgrade to using as many of my existing parts as possible?

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, mod please move if its not :)

Loading filament...

Re: Upgrade with existing parts

Postby evanalmighty » 2014-May-Sun-03-May

What are you not happy about?

Layer 650 of 1234

Postby killbox » 2014-May-Sun-14-May

pretty much all the costly bits (motors/electronics/switches/rods/bearings) are there, not just you need to redo the frame into something like a RepRap. check out there forum. BUT you will need a another motor, most likely a brand new broad, new rods, New belts, and a brand new frame. the simple was built to give easy and cheap access with little knowledge of 3D printing. RepRap is like printrbot in that it's open source and can be modded to fit what you want. but they mostly have to source their own parts to build them. really the only usable parts off the simple would be the motors, hotend, and extruder. everything else your gonna have to find yourself

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby qual » 2014-May-Sun-15-May

Levelling print bed...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-May-Sun-16-May

You have the good majority of the expensive parts already. Heres a pic of RepRap Squads Simple XL. I scaled up the simples design, majorly. Its about twic the size of the simple and it prints more than twice the print space. This was made from the simple builders kit. This is just an example to show you that you can start with the builders kit and take it wherever you want for not much added cost.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
Metal hotbed butt

Return to General