Printrbot simple (all metal) vs RObo 3d printer!

Talk generally about other printers

Postby hoho1197 » 2014-Apr-Sat-18-Apr

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so plz go easy on me :). I am going to purchase my first 3d printer and i just can't decide between the two Printrbot simple (all metal) which isn't out yet and a robo 3d printer. Sorry I'm in a printrbot forum talking about robo 3d printer... Anyway, I'm aware that the robo has a bigger build volume in the same price range as the printrbot simple all metal (assembled). But I'm not sure if the robo is reliable. Is the printrbot also reliable? Which one would need less tinkering and which one would be easier to use with less fixing needed. I am not willing to buy extra modification things other than filaments. so as a customer (you) which one would you buy and why? plz help me :))). THX

:?:

hoho1197
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot simple (all metal) vs RObo 3d printer!

Postby JBurd67 » 2014-Apr-Sat-21-Apr

I actually just ordered a metal simple a few days ago. I didn't consider the Robo because I thought the lead times were longer. I know the Metal simle is built with a lot of parts that people typically upgrade their parts with later on, so it's a quality build. The only thing I could see to upgrade on it (without much playing around) would be a heated bed, but that's not necessary for quality.

As far as the robo, I'm not sure what it's built with, so I can't speak much to quality, rigidity, or consistency. I wasn't aware the build volume was so large... That's definitely attractive, especially at that price point. Have you looked at the Rigidbot at all? I know that one has a longer lead time (July) but it's also a nice looking printer.

The biggest advantage the metal simple would have over the other two that I see is that Printrbot has been in business for longer, has had time to do their homework and improve their own product (result is the metal simple), and will continue to improve. So really, it's up to you with what the biggest decision maker is, but if build volume isn't a huge deal, the Metal simple might be the way to go.

JBurd67
I'm an end stop.

Postby hoho1197 » 2014-Apr-Sun-03-Apr

alright thx for helping me choose! Still not 100% sure but I'm starting to lean towards the all metal simple now thx :)

hoho1197

Postby redwood » 2014-Apr-Sun-06-Apr

Lots of mods for the Printrbots if you're into that stuff.

Printrbot Plus v2.1
redwood
Printing skirt...

Postby hoho1197 » 2014-Apr-Thu-07-Apr

any other suggestion guyss? :D

hoho1197

Postby plexus » 2014-Apr-Thu-09-Apr

Tough to say. I've never used nor seen a Robo 3D printer. From what I see, my concerns are the outside shell/case... i know with my PB+ I need to be able to get at all the mechanical parts from time to time to maintain or upgrade them. having that case in the way would be annoying and if was removable, that's the first thing I'd do. With the Simple you get a much simpler design, smaller and frankly I think with the metal parts and the machined bearning captures that it would be a pretty rigid little printer. The Robo looks like a PB variant as well. Maybe they did things better maybe they didn't. The only way to really tell is to look for people that have used it. Does Rbo have a forum? perhaps you can see what kinds of trials and tribulations Robo owners are having?

plexus
Site Admin

Return to General