RAPY

Talk generally about other printers

RAPY

Postby DJNOS1978 » 2014-Jan-Thu-10-Jan

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/122 ... ref=search

Guys and gals.....can someone please explain to me how DC motors top and reverse on the dime??????? What am I missing here?

DJNOS1978
Honeycomb infill 25%...

RAPY

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: RAPY

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

I used to work in industry, where we had robotic actuators. It's true, DC motors can start and stop extremely rapidly, and they can be very powerful. However, the position control now depends absolutely on high-accuracy feedback. For example, I remember a particular system we built with a DC motor controlling an arm position in a feedback loop. Although the system could remain stationary with zero current flowing in the motor's coils, the feedback system was so sensitive that if I tried to push the arm out of position, it felt to my hand as if the arm had been welded in place; it was extremely rigid - and only because the position sensor detected a tiny deviation from setpoint and sent counterbalancing current to the motor to prevent any further motion.

Of course, when you introduce a control loop (sensor plus actuator) you have completely different dynamics than stepper motors. Properly tuned, you can get excellent results - but control loops can be quite unmerciful to those who don't understand them. This technology is not going to migrate easily into the hobbyist build-a-printer-yourself realm.

BTW, DC motors are a totally different animal than AC motors. AC motors gotta move, and their RPM range is relatively limited. DC motors can operate from stationary up to rather high speeds.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby DJNOS1978 » 2014-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

So it appears they are targeting the wrong customers, if they are targeting DIY people? Or they may be claming "plug n play"?
That is what I wondering about the control sequence of DC motors. Different animal than stepper motors.

DJNOS1978
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Nickies08 » 2014-Jan-Thu-12-Jan

They seem to be targeting the DIY people who wish to use the printer to make objects and components for projects rather than the DIY group that wishes to actually work on the printer itself. It seems they are trying to compete with bots like the Replicator by using different technology to compete with the cost. Honestly, I think it could be a nice plug-and-play option for anyone that prefers not to tinker with their bot, but wants a printer solely for making objects.

I'm like many of you, working on my printer is my hobby. The things I make are the rewards of the time spent making the bot better. I really like auto levelling though, might be worth a little time investment.

Printrbot Plus V2.0
Aluminum bearing blocks
Aluminum Build Plate
Robotdigg custom Nema 17 motors with 500mm T8*8 Acme Rods on Z-axis (19" of print height)
Wire extensions to accommodate extra build height
GT2 Belts and Pulleys
Nickies08
Solid infill...

Return to General