The PrintrNot?

Talk generally about other printers

The PrintrNot?

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Oct-Thu-21-Oct

Under the guidance of our good friend RetireeJay, I was able to complete my CoreXY printer, and here it is (banana & vinyl for scale)...

PrintrNot.JPG

Clone Rev.D Printrboard, 1st Gen. direct drive aluminum extruder, & Ubis 13 metal hotend, all ABS parts printed on Kickstarter edition of the PB+.

If you don't mind about 150 hours of print time and 2+ kg of filament, you can snag the files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1014884

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonaldJ
Support material...

The PrintrNot?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The PrintrNot?

Postby carlos » 2015-Oct-Thu-23-Oct

That's impressively large. Is it pretty rigid and how's the print quality?

Printrbot Simple Metal (using Rev F board) with E3D hot-end and heated bed.
carlos
Levelling print bed...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Oct-Thu-23-Oct

DonaldJ wrote:Under the guidance of our good friend RetireeJay, I was able to complete my CoreXY printer, and here it is (banana & vinyl for scale)...

PrintrNot.JPG

Clone Rev.D Printrboard, 1st Gen. direct drive aluminum extruder, & Ubis 13 metal hotend, all ABS parts printed on Kickstarter edition of the PB+.

If you don't mind about 150 hours of print time and 2+ kg of filament, you can snag the files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1014884

Would using 1/2 inch steel curtain pole work with these parts? I can get that in 3m lengths for about $5 localy.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Oct-Thu-23-Oct

carlos wrote:That's impressively large. Is it pretty rigid and how's the print quality?

It's surprisingly rigid. I don't know about the print quality yet, still making my first print (second attempt). Problems with the first print were due to operator error: printers work a lot better when the grub screws on the toothed pulleys are tightened down.

Calibrated it by eyeball, no test prints yet. But it's looking good. Here's where I am with one of those dragons from Thingiverse (should be about 16 inches tall, give or take, and about 15 hours to print):

1st_print.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DonaldJ on 2015-Oct-Thu-23-Oct, edited 1 time in total.
DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Oct-Thu-23-Oct

thawkins wrote:
Would using 1/2 inch steel curtain pole work with these parts? I can get that in 3m lengths for about $5 localy.

I doubt it. The O.D. of the half-inch PVC is about 22mm. I used about 150 feet of the stuff (not sure, didn't keep track of it...) for less than US$40.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby carlos » 2015-Oct-Fri-09-Oct

@DonaldJ if it wasn't due to operator error, I don't think a lot of us would be born. ;) Looking forward to seeing the end result. How much do you estimate the cost for everything was at this point?

Printrbot Simple Metal (using Rev F board) with E3D hot-end and heated bed.
carlos
Levelling print bed...

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Oct-Fri-16-Oct

carlos wrote:@DonaldJ if it wasn't due to operator error, I don't think a lot of us would be born. ;) Looking forward to seeing the end result. How much do you estimate the cost for everything was at this point?

First print failed. Note to self: Use threadlocker on the M5 V-wheel nuts! I took too many shortcuts to get it printing...lots of fiddling and fine tuning to do. I'm not familiar with the descending Z-stage style of printer, so I have to read up on Z offset.

If you start with absolutely nothing, I reckon it could cost around $800 for parts, tops. I already had the Makerslide, most of the pulleys and V-wheels, and most of the motors. Also on hand were the Printrboard, hotend and extruder. But it adds up. There was also the cast aluminum build plate, 12" square silicone heater, belts, fasteners, threaded rod, etc. Don't forget tools...ratcheting PVC pipe cutter, M5 & M6 taps, it seems to go on and on.

But cost saving substitutions can be made. Instead of the smooth idler pulleys I used, you could use skate bearings and big washers. The Makerslide could probably be substituted with OpenRail if you modify some of the parts.

Finally, there's time. This is not a weekend project. It took more than 2 kilos of ABS and about 150 hours to print everything. Some parts require a lot of support removal and cleanup. Did I mention it used about 500 sheet metal screws? Some may find it daunting.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Return to General