Custom 3d printer

Talk generally about other printers

Custom 3d printer

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Oct-Thu-20-Oct

I am wanting to build my own 3d printer and while i have designs in mind. I do wish to have suggestions for parts n types. Smooth rods vs linear rails, any better then other. And belts length grows over time thinking of acme screws or is their anything better to use? How about other parts, what should i choose?

Joe

My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Custom 3d printer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Custom 3d printer

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Oct-Thu-20-Oct

RepRap.org has tons of discussions and tutorials about different printer types.
On this forum, there's the JonBot. Search is your friend.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Oct-Thu-22-Oct

RetireeJay wrote:RepRap.org has tons of discussions and tutorials about different printer types.
On this forum, there's the JonBot. Search is your friend.

Thanks. I will check my idea vs the ones there. Actually I am more looking for help on the parts for my design. Not sure if stuff like the smooth rods and linear rails are different as far as the reliability or quality or if theres alternate to the axis movement by gt2 belts n acme rods. I am definatly going with 2+ extruders, probly printrbot assembly, and the electronics. The lcd screen be nice option n i have no idea what the ramps n such are on the electronics. I only know whats on the 1405 printer. Never had or knew about 3d printers before i got the 1405. Just wanting the best printer that I can build for my limited budget, but will check that site out for all the info I can.

Joe

My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby frankv » 2015-Oct-Fri-02-Oct

I'd certainly go for rails rather than rods for the X axis.... would make for a good rigid axis, and the weight isn't critical there. Whilst lead screws rather than belts for X & Y would I guess be more precise, you then have to generate 32 times as many steps. Or maybe you'd throw away the microstepping and go back to effectively the same precision? Perhaps go for NEMA 23 (or bigger?) steppers (and a bigger power supply and heavier wiring and higher current drivers) to get more speed?

RAMPS+Arduino is the equivalent of the Printrboard. I'd skip the LCD screen... much better is to get a Raspberry Pi + Octoprint.

Look at the Jonbot Plus for a design with better mechanicals than the Printrbot.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby PxT » 2015-Oct-Fri-08-Oct

mod note: moved this into the "Other Printers" sub-forum.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Fri-10-Oct

frankv wrote:Whilst lead screws rather than belts for X & Y would I guess be more precise, you then have to generate 32 times as many steps.

RAMPS+Arduino is the equivalent of the Printrboard. I'd skip the LCD screen... much better is to get a Raspberry Pi + Octoprint.

How many steps for a leadscrew depends on the pitch; checkout multi start screws like the TR8-8 (aka T8-8, also available in other start/pitch, the -8 is a 4 start 2mm pitch) that's often used. You can get into the same steps/mm territory. Belts are more efficient (i.e less power loss from friction) than screws, screws can have less backlash and higher load.

By the time you deal with something like RAMPS (or Printrboard) and an RPI+Octoprint it's worth considering something like a Beaglebone Black (Pink, Green, whatever :) ) or smoothieboard (or Azteq clone). Possible a bit more money (ignoring the whole low quality thing) but a major increase in capability.

And what's wrong with going with an LCD? One less complication, still lets you print without a PC, if you go the cheap import RAMPS route might even save a little money.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Oct-Fri-10-Oct

Quick note, I'd say don't go larger than 200x200 mm for X and Y. I've never used the full dimensions of the larger printer I built, the print times get crazy long, I just don't think the thing would run for 30 hours without a hiccup...

Although I have printed long skinny parts on the diagonal, but I don't think any of them have been longer than what would fit on a 200x200 bed.

FYI, I picked up an old Velleman 8200 kit that my local Microcenter was getting rid of at 1/3 the original cost, with only a few parts printed on my simple metal I ended up with a nice 200x250x230 printer. See my Velleman Printrbot Hybrid thread a little bit down the page from this one.

MartyS
Solid infill...

Postby frankv » 2015-Oct-Fri-20-Oct

Mooselake wrote:And what's wrong with going with an LCD? One less complication, still lets you print without a PC, if you go the cheap import RAMPS route might even save a little money.

I see it as one *more* complication. It's a clunky user interface, only useful if you want to print with no computer at all. Like keeping a cart and harness in your shed in case those newfangled cars don't work out. But certainly, I'd recommend it to someone who wanted to print without a PC or phone or tablet.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby thawkins » 2015-Oct-Sun-03-Oct

frankv wrote:
Mooselake wrote:And what's wrong with going with an LCD? One less complication, still lets you print without a PC, if you go the cheap import RAMPS route might even save a little money.

I see it as one *more* complication. It's a clunky user interface, only useful if you want to print with no computer at all. Like keeping a cart and harness in your shed in case those newfangled cars don't work out. But certainly, I'd recommend it to someone who wanted to print without a PC or phone or tablet.

I see it as a dramatic simplification, anything that eliminates usb, which even between a Pi And a printer is a pain. The lcd simplifys everything, makes it more reliable and more consistent. It also makes repeat prints simple, my ffcp even has a "print again" option selected when an sd card job finishes so one click and you get another copy. I will never go back to using usb to drive a printer again.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Oct-Sun-06-Oct

Hmm... All I can say is that experiences differ. I have never had the slightest problem traceable to my USB interface. It works every time, all the time, as long as the Windows "driver" is in place. And I like having a GUI; I feel like I know exactly what's going on. An LCD display can't show you a graphical display of the tool paths like Repetier or Cura does. I've never used an LCD interface, but I just can't imagine that it could show me anywhere near as much information at a glance. I feel like it would be like putting on thick mittens and trying to type on my phone's touch screen.

(I don't blame the USB link for the fact that Repetier and the Printrboard can get "lost" with respect to each other if the Printrboard loses power or goes into a safety shutdown mode.)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Oct-Sun-12-Oct

Since my 2nd printer takes up the space I had my laptop, I now print exclusively from SD card even though I don't have and LCD screen, that's one nice feature of the printrboard. When I have to make adjustments I put the laptop on a chair and use a long USB cable. Small microSD cards are dirt cheap now, and I have a multi card reader on my desktop PC. Even when I was using the laptop for printing I did the slicing on my desktop because it's many times faster.

MartyS
Solid infill...

Postby cacb » 2015-Oct-Mon-04-Oct

MartyS wrote:Even when I was using the laptop for printing I did the slicing on my desktop because it's many times faster.

Quite so. Experiences differ and if printing from an SD card works for you there is no need to do anything else. I solved similar space constraints by means of a wireless PI with a very short USB cable permanently attached between the printer and the PI. The PI is considered part of the printer (host name is even "Printrbot"). This is the most stable setup I have had. Slicing I always do on one of the desktops for the same reason you give, plus it is then easier to tweak the slicing parameters.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Return to General