[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Custom 3d printer

Custom 3d printer

Talk generally about other printers

Custom 3d printer

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Oct-Thu-20-Oct

I am wanting to build my own 3d printer and while i have designs in mind. I do wish to have suggestions for parts n types. Smooth rods vs linear rails, any better then other. And belts length grows over time thinking of acme screws or is their anything better to use? How about other parts, what should i choose?

Joe

My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Custom 3d printer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Custom 3d printer

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Oct-Thu-20-Oct

RepRap.org has tons of discussions and tutorials about different printer types.
On this forum, there's the JonBot. Search is your friend.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Oct-Thu-22-Oct

My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby frankv » 2015-Oct-Fri-02-Oct

I'd certainly go for rails rather than rods for the X axis.... would make for a good rigid axis, and the weight isn't critical there. Whilst lead screws rather than belts for X & Y would I guess be more precise, you then have to generate 32 times as many steps. Or maybe you'd throw away the microstepping and go back to effectively the same precision? Perhaps go for NEMA 23 (or bigger?) steppers (and a bigger power supply and heavier wiring and higher current drivers) to get more speed?

RAMPS+Arduino is the equivalent of the Printrboard. I'd skip the LCD screen... much better is to get a Raspberry Pi + Octoprint.

Look at the Jonbot Plus for a design with better mechanicals than the Printrbot.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby PxT » 2015-Oct-Fri-08-Oct

mod note: moved this into the "Other Printers" sub-forum.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Fri-10-Oct

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Oct-Fri-10-Oct

Quick note, I'd say don't go larger than 200x200 mm for X and Y. I've never used the full dimensions of the larger printer I built, the print times get crazy long, I just don't think the thing would run for 30 hours without a hiccup...

Although I have printed long skinny parts on the diagonal, but I don't think any of them have been longer than what would fit on a 200x200 bed.

FYI, I picked up an old Velleman 8200 kit that my local Microcenter was getting rid of at 1/3 the original cost, with only a few parts printed on my simple metal I ended up with a nice 200x250x230 printer. See my Velleman Printrbot Hybrid thread a little bit down the page from this one.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby frankv » 2015-Oct-Fri-20-Oct

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby thawkins » 2015-Oct-Sun-03-Oct

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Oct-Sun-06-Oct

Hmm... All I can say is that experiences differ. I have never had the slightest problem traceable to my USB interface. It works every time, all the time, as long as the Windows "driver" is in place. And I like having a GUI; I feel like I know exactly what's going on. An LCD display can't show you a graphical display of the tool paths like Repetier or Cura does. I've never used an LCD interface, but I just can't imagine that it could show me anywhere near as much information at a glance. I feel like it would be like putting on thick mittens and trying to type on my phone's touch screen.

(I don't blame the USB link for the fact that Repetier and the Printrboard can get "lost" with respect to each other if the Printrboard loses power or goes into a safety shutdown mode.)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Oct-Sun-12-Oct

Since my 2nd printer takes up the space I had my laptop, I now print exclusively from SD card even though I don't have and LCD screen, that's one nice feature of the printrboard. When I have to make adjustments I put the laptop on a chair and use a long USB cable. Small microSD cards are dirt cheap now, and I have a multi card reader on my desktop PC. Even when I was using the laptop for printing I did the slicing on my desktop because it's many times faster.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby cacb » 2015-Oct-Mon-04-Oct

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Return to General