Hi from Cape Town, SA

Introduce yourself, say hello, talk about your printrbot stories

Hi from Cape Town, SA

Postby JohnSwitch » 2015-May-Tue-12-May

Hi Guys

My name is Gregg. I am very new to the 3D printing world. I do not have a printer yet but want to get the Printrbot Simple Metal. So I have joined so that I can hopefully answer all the questions I have about the Printrbot.
I have been reading on the line the last last three days and I think the simple metals is for me.

I am a mechanical engineer and love building and designing things and working on projects.

Looking forward to learning! :D

JohnSwitch
Waiting to connect to printer...

Hi from Cape Town, SA

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hi from Cape Town, SA

Postby cacb » 2015-May-Tue-14-May

Hi Gregg, I am quite new to this also, but welcome anyway :-) . I got my Simple Metal about 6 weeks ago only, having quite a lot of fun. I am also an engineer and and like to learn new things. If you are like that you will enjoy it. My advice is to read about the topics, go slow the first days you get or assemble the printer. That is the fastest way to some success :-)

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby JohnSwitch » 2015-May-Wed-11-May

Hi
I am busy reading up on everything. Will take it slow at the start :) Cant wait to get the my simple metal!

JohnSwitch
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-May-Thu-11-May

Good Luck, Gregg! You'll find a number of other engineers here, although some of us are of the sparks and smoke persuasion. Did you get the kit or assembled version?

You'll probably find there's quite a learning curve, and some days you'll wish you'd bought a sledge hammer to go with it. That's just part of the learning curve, so don't get discouraged (and lock that hammer away...). Also don't start with cheap filament, spend a few extra bucks and get the good stuff, one less problem to sort out. Watch out for the hairspray vs glue stick crowd :) I'm a glue sticker...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Welcome, introductions and stories