I ordered my Simple Makers Kit today.. What first?

Introduce yourself, say hello, talk about your printrbot stories

Postby lil_satan » 2015-Apr-Wed-19-Apr

Hi Everyone,

I ordered my kit today... I'm pretty excited..

I understand the first print should be a fan shroud...

What should I do next?

Eventually I want to expand my x-axis. What other mods are good to do?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I figured I would ask because with all the new things hitting thingiverse, it would be best to ask!

lil_satan

lil_satan
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: I ordered my Simple Makers Kit today.. What first?

Postby ThereWillBprints2 » 2015-Apr-Sun-23-Apr

Hi!

Welcome and nice choice on printer! I would like to suggest putting your new machine right to work on whatever will make it last longer. Z stabilizers are a great way to make sure you really are calibrated and for sure that you have no wiggle at faster speeds. I also would suggest that if you are to do a bed upgrade of any kind that you make sure all the parts are printed before any changes. This will ensure your future rig to be as rigid as the primary. Lastly, you might want to consider how long it will take and what you might have to give up, i.e. your computer for 8 hours as it prints an Ulti high quality model of that new X-axis rod assembly. Did you know that is also 24 Batman batarangs???

ThereWillBprints2
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby frankv » 2015-Apr-Mon-00-Apr

I agree with that... improve the printer with Z stabiliser & filament guide. Also a spool holder.

Look on Thingiverse for something cool and small.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Apr-Mon-08-Apr

If you print from SD card you only give up your computer to start the printer going...

I'd add to the recommendations to not mod anything until after you get throughly familiar with the unmodified version. The learning curve can be steep, and besides you won't know if your mods improve anything if you don't know how the original works. You might find that the stock size works better for you than you think; it's pretty common to think bigger is better when what you have might be big enough. I rarely use all of my KSCP's bed or height, and anything that big is slow and expensive to print. Wait and see if it's a limitation before you go for it.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby lil_satan » 2015-Apr-Tue-01-Apr

Thanks for all the responses and the first print ideas!

I plan on using an old laptop as a dedicated print server for my 3d printer so I'm not worried about being without my precious. :)

I suspect that for most of the things I want to make for fun, the stock bed size will be fine, but I picked the printrbot simple because i'll need the bigger bed for a project I want to launch on Kickstarter in the future.. My project will a 290mm x 100mm print bed. The two pieces are 290 mm long.. I went with the printrbot because with a few easy hacks, I'll have exactly the size print bed I need!

lil_satan
Loading filament...

Postby krisguy » 2015-Apr-Tue-12-Apr

I started by making a simple chess piece in 123D, then a A-frame stand for my tablet.

krisguy
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby ThereWillBprints2 » 2015-Apr-Tue-16-Apr

[quote="krisguy"]I started by making a simple chess piece in 123D, then a A-frame stand"

On thingiverse search dragon iphone stand.

Always wanted to print that. May go into auto calibration and do it.

ThereWillBprints2
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to Welcome, introductions and stories