New guy

Introduce yourself, say hello, talk about your printrbot stories

New guy

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Mar-Thu-14-Mar

I got a PB Simple metal with heated bed for a birthday present, at the beginning of the month. Yeah. But initially I had major problem. The motherboard was bad it was a F4 version. PB replaced it, they also had to replace the Z-Probe. Now I am printing. YEAH!!

I am 64, who got bit by the bug of learning 3D Cad. I use Autodesk 123D Design, Autodesk Inventor 2014, and Autodesk Fusion 360. I have place a few things on Thingiverse. Just look up Bill Brown.

I want to upgrade my hotend with something that is all metal. Can anyone suggest which hotend is compatible, with a PB Simple Metal with heated bed?

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

New guy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New guy

Postby PxT » 2015-Mar-Thu-14-Mar

Congrats and welcome. The Ubis all-metal will be the easiest (drop-in) replacement. The E3D v6 can also be made to work with some modifications (you need to print an adapter and modify your firmware). Good info on that here: http://thisoldspoon.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... metal.html

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Jdublu » 2015-Mar-Fri-07-Mar

I have to ask, why the desire to change to all metal? I bought the Ubis all metal when it came out, but still haven't gotten around to installing it. The original Ubis works for me, why change it?

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Mar-Fri-09-Mar

I like to keep spare parts on hand. I figure someday the ceramic will break or deteriorate on the original hot end. The upgrade would be the all metal UBIS hot end.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Jdublu » 2015-Mar-Mon-09-Mar

That's exactly why I bought mine, but still haven't had to replace the original one.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Mar-Mon-11-Mar

Darn, I bought mine just because I thought it would be fun to see how it works. I wanted to try a dual geared extruder, and I had all this 1.75 filament from the QU-BD disaster to use up, so it was a good time to check it out.

So far, it works really well. The biggest disadvantage I see is the new type of nozzle; you can't easily make your own from brass acorn nuts. PB can't deliver the extra nozzle they promised for the black friday sale (they just confirmed that and again closed my ticket), so presumably they can't sell you spares either. Imho not having any nozzles available is by far the biggest drawback.

They also confirmed they don't plan to make a 3mm version, and said that you can't drill out the 1.75.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Apr-Sat-19-Apr

Mooselake wrote:The biggest disadvantage I see is the new type of nozzle; you can't easily make your own from brass acorn nuts. PB can't deliver the extra nozzle they promised for the black friday sale (they just confirmed that and again closed my ticket), so presumably they can't sell you spares either. Imho not having any nozzles available is by far the biggest drawback.

Wait, what? How can they not have spares available? That's a big deal breaker. They aren't giving any reasons for not having nozzles?

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Apr-Sun-09-Apr

orangefurball wrote:Wait, what? How can they not have spares available? That's a big deal breaker. They aren't giving any reasons for not having nozzles?

From a few days ago "Unfortunately we currently do not have metal hot end nozzles"

From January 14th "We currently do not have the metal hot end tips in stock, once they are listed in the store please send in a ticket and we will send one out to you"

I've had the same primary email address for over 15 years, only give it out through forwarders (sneakemail.com and others; antispam guy since about '96...) and even with aggressive unsubscribes (only do this for legit sources, often a spammer test), forwarder deletes, and filtering it's nearing worthlessness. Took some searching to find these.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Welcome, introductions and stories