Ideas for 3D Printing Competition

Introduce yourself, say hello, talk about your printrbot stories

Postby wd5gnr » 2015-Feb-Mon-13-Feb

The company I work for has bought a few printers and has been imposing on me as the local "expert". They want to have a "competition" for engineering week next week. The challenge is, we have a lot of engineers some of who are experienced CAD designers and many who are not. We only have 2 printers (and may only have 1). And they want to get done in a week.

So I think anything open ended is going to be a problem.

My thoughts for now are this:

Design some sort of pedestal that could hold weights. Have two categories of competition: use our model or make your own. If you make your own, it has to fit in the same space as the provided model. Then we judge on weight holding capability along with print time. So if your print takes less than 30 minutes you get to claim 2x your actual weight you can hold before collapse. If your print takes less than 90 minutes you can claim 1.5X. Otherwise, 1X. Maybe even say if it takes more than 2.5 hours you get 0.75X your weight?

Highest weight held in each class wins.

A variation would be see who could hold more weight before the layers delaminate. That might be easier because I expect it would be less weight.

I'm open to other ideas or improvements. Might have to limit infill because I imagine a solid block of PLA would hold a lot of weight. Or maybe make it such that you have to be on no more than 4 pillars each no thicker than 5mm or something like that.

Any ideas?

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ideas for 3D Printing Competition

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Feb-Mon-13-Feb

A bridge that would hold weight in the middle would be a lot more of an engineering challenge than a pedestal. It could be printed "on its side" so that the geometry could be optimized. In order to better equalize the challenge, how about asking for the design which holds the most weight for the least material used? I know Repetier tells you how many mm of filament will be used in a print. That way, the speed of the printer becomes less important (Plexus' souped-up plus is going to outrun any Simple in a straight speed trial). Does your company have an Instron or equivalent to accurately test the weight-bearing capability?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby wd5gnr » 2015-Feb-Mon-14-Feb

I have no doubt we have an Instron (I work for a Very Big Company you've probably heard of). Now how much paperwork it would be to get use of it is another issue (I work for a Very Big Company) ;-)

Yah a bridge is probably a better idea. I'm an electron pusher so that's the kind of ideas I'm looking for!

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby frankv » 2015-Feb-Mon-22-Feb

Might be easier to make the weight of the bridge part of the win formula rather than trying to record the mm of filament.

So "weight held"/("bridge weight" * "printing time") might be a good formula.

This encourages people to minimise weight = less PLA used => faster printing.

Are you going to allow a bridge to be assembled from multiple parts? Or does it have to be printed in one piece? How big is your printer?

Or how about this...
Bridge to span a 95mm gap with 2.5mm at either end, must weigh less than (say) 6g (at 1.2g/cc, this would allow a rectangle of 100x10x5mm), be printed in one piece, and support coins. Each person wins all the coins their bridge can hold up. Competitors put coins on the bridge until a coin falls. Adjust the bridge max weight depending on how much material you want people to print, and how much prize money you can give away. Coins could be pennies, quarters, or gold sovereigns. :)

Pre-heat the coins on your competitors' bridges :twisted:

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby frankv » 2015-Feb-Tue-12-Feb

Some more ideas...
Boats to hold coins.
I think the 100mm bridge might be too easy... so make it (say) a 200mm gap, made out of two parts that clip together.
A coin-launching device to throw a coin as far as possible... this would probably be a ramp.
Maybe something useful that people could use in the office... a phone headset, office tidy, coffee cup holder, pocket protector? Not sure how you would judge the winner though.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby ThereWillBprints2 » 2015-Apr-Mon-00-Apr

backsplashes that can be put up in minutes as opposed to days. I have models

ThereWillBprints2
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to Welcome, introductions and stories