My Printrbot Jr. Build/Mod Log

Introduce yourself, say hello, talk about your printrbot stories

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Thu-15-Aug

This thread will be where I post builds or mods I do to my Printrbot Jr. Stay tuned... :)

My Thingiverse Page: http://www.thingiverse.com/mrsamnc/overview

Printrbot Jr. - July 2013 Model | Heated Bed | Brass M8 Rod | GT2 Pulley/Belt | Tool Less Belt Tensioners - by Mochaboy | Jr. Printr Cup

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My Printrbot Jr. Build/Mod Log

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Thu-23-Aug

To kick off this thread, here are current photos of my Printrbot Jr. and my "work area". I really like the small footprint of the Jr. It allows me to completely work from a 30x36 table in the living room and still be "a part of the family". ;)

Tonight's mods included a GT2 conversion and the addition of Mochaboy's Tool Less Tensioners. I left the belts extra long just-in-case. I had trimmed my XL belts (as the instructions stated) and had no "wiggle room". I also took the time to adjust and inspect all fasteners on the Printrbot. I found several that had become loose which is making me want to move quicker on designing or modding the Z/Y axis "sandwich" assembly into a more rigid, secure structure. Right now I'm thinking of some simple bushings to go between the plates and longer through-bolts with nylock nuts. I'll plan on doing this along with my brass M8 conversion that's pending--waiting for it to arrive from the UK.

Anywho, enough chatting, now for some photos. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Jr. - July 2013 Model | Heated Bed | Brass M8 Rod | GT2 Pulley/Belt | Tool Less Belt Tensioners - by Mochaboy | Jr. Printr Cup

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Sat-13-Aug

I added the Printrbot Jr. Z Axis Improvement and longer 6-32 bolts with nylock nuts to stiffen the Y/Z sandwich. I really need to make spacers or something for the sandwich to allow me to lock it down without the risk of busting the plywood... I would love to get a hold of the files to print my own replacement wood pieces and make a stronger assembly. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to find it around. ;)

Also visible in the first photo below is my homemade Z Axis coupler. My Jr. Kit didn't come with one so I had to fabricate one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby pomonabill221 » 2013-Aug-Sat-13-Aug

Great pics! Thanks for posting them!
Are you using glass over the heater or just blue tape on top of the heater?
ABS or PLA?
Where are you getting the ACME threaded rod? I, too want to change to an ACME Z axis and get the nuts as well on my plus.
The steel 5/16 all thread is showing wear signs (white lithium grease is turning grey... a sign of metal wear).
Thanks for your tips and mods!
Bill

PBplus V2 kit.
* Modded power supply (my own)
* heavier power cable (#12) and connector (Cinch-Jones 2 pin) as 4 pin ATX was getting hot!
* extruder and heated bed indicators on bot.. I like to know
* cable dressing using ideas from other members and my own
* machined Z axis couplers.. my own design
* filament guide tubing (drip sprinkler tubing).. keeps filament from possible tangling
* flat washers under ALL screw heads.. spreads out force over wood
* Al machined printbed, opto limit switches on ALL axis, Acme Z lead screws
* Highly modified printbed/stiffened
* Dual Z axis limit switches (selectable) for glass or aluminum bed
* Illuminated extruder with 2 white leds
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
* RAMPS board with graphic display
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Aug-Sat-14-Aug

I thought I had seen the jr files on thingiverse. Com but I may be wrong. You guys have some great printers and mods

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Sat-21-Aug

pomonabill221 wrote:Great pics! Thanks for posting them!
ABS or PLA?
Where are you getting the ACME threaded rod? I, too want to change to an ACME Z axis and get the nuts as well on my plus.
The steel 5/16 all thread is showing wear signs (white lithium grease is turning grey... a sign of metal wear).
Bill

Thank you for the kind words, they are much appreciated. While I purchased the Heated Bed upgrade when I ordered my kit, I have yet to use it "heated". I have only used PLA so far. I have kapton tape over the "bare" headed bed, then put blue masking tape (painter's tape) over that to print on. It has worked well so far. I have found that some filament colors adhere better than others, though.

My Z axis rod is still the 5/16" threaded rod that comes with the Jr. kit. I have ordered an M8 brass rod and nut from ebay and am waiting for them to arrive.

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Sat-21-Aug

REPRAP SQUAD wrote:I thought I had seen the jr files on thingiverse. Com but I may be wrong. You guys have some great printers and mods

I had looked, but didn't see any right off. I wish PBHQ would release the inventor files, but with them just releasing the Jr. V2 (and ONLY as an assembled purchase :evil: ), I don't expect that to happen now... bummer, really.

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Aug-Sat-21-Aug

Have you tried downloading the laser cutter files and just using those as shapes or components in sketchup pushed/pulled to 1/4" thickness?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:43526

dxf files here:
http://printrbot.com/tag/files/
http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads ... 3.dxf_.zip

You know the part dimensions so it shouldn't be too difficult to model out a part based on the shapes in the dxf files right?

Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Tool less belt tensioners
Aluminum print plate
GT2 Timing Belt and 20T aluminum pulleys

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Sat-22-Aug

Perfecto! Thanks Mochaboy :D

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Aug-Sat-22-Aug

I'm amazed at how quickly you progressed into this - I'm already at the point where I'll be asking YOU for advice hah!

The bearing sandwiches if they were printed would have to be printed out of abs or nylon I think. PLA would simply crush under the slightest torque. That Wade's extruder I printed off for my friend actually got scored as I lifted it off the print bed with my pliers (I probably shouldn't have used pliers heh)...but if you build spacers into the sandwich - that might be enough to reinforce the bolt points (just a theory).

If we remake the bearing sandwiches, we can extend the print plate for the base out to 6x6 without too much effort (hmmm think I have my next part project).

Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Aluminum print plate

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby pomonabill221 » 2013-Aug-Sat-22-Aug

mrsamnc wrote:
pomonabill221 wrote:Great pics! Thanks for posting them!
ABS or PLA?
Bill

Thank you for the kind words, they are much appreciated. While I purchased the Heated Bed upgrade when I ordered my kit, I have yet to use it "heated". I have only used PLA so far. I have kapton tape over the "bare" headed bed, then put blue masking tape (painter's tape) over that to print on. It has worked well so far. I have found that some filament colors adhere better than others, though.

My Z axis rod is still the 5/16" threaded rod that comes with the Jr. kit. I have ordered an M8 brass rod and nut from ebay and am waiting for them to arrive.

You are welcome!
Thanks for the info on how/what you are printing. I have ABS right now and will probably use ABS juice to try first.

Whom did you get the brass rods from? are they Acme threads or just plain metric threads?
I did find steel Acme 3/8 rods on McMaster carr's website and the brass nuts so I might just get those.
You would think that I would actually try printing something though!!! All my mods and haven't printed a single thing yet!

Bill

PBplus V2 kit.
* heavier power cable (#12) and connector (Cinch-Jones 2 pin) as 4 pin ATX was getting hot!
* filament guide tubing (drip sprinkler tubing).. keeps filament from possible tangling
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Sun-11-Aug

:D I understand the feeling Bill. 95% of my prints have been mods or printrbot-related. The other 5% have been toys for my 1 yr. old. :)

I purchased the Brass M8 rods from ebay Here (Mochaboy had mentioned the listing/seller in another post as where he got his from, so I followed suit. They're in the UK.

The way I figure, brass M8 will work perfectly fine for me with this Printrbot. I have intentions of building another 3D printer and will invest the money for top-of-the-line items then. ;)

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby pomonabill221 » 2013-Aug-Sun-14-Aug

Thank you for the link for the rods. I am in the US so I will look for a seller here.
I REALLY would like to get brass nuts/steel rods in Acme thread and McMaster's has them and they are not too bad price wise.
The thread pitch is rather course though...
3/8-12: http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpos ... ds/=o4d91g
and the nuts: http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpos ... ds/=o4daad

I would think that a steel rod and brass nut would eliminate galling as they are dissimilar metals. Kinda what you don't want is the same metal, but with the almost non existent load on the threads, this shouldn't be a problem even for similar metals
I just keep hearing the machinist at Hughes that I learned alot from, in the back of my mind, telling me about using similar metals and galling.

I know I am taking this thread off topic, so I will stop.
Thank you for the information!
Bill

PBplus V2 kit.
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Mon-21-Aug

It feels like forever since I've been able to mod my PBJR and I nearly went through withdrawls. :shock: I have been fighting with my bot to get good adhesion on my prints, which was frustrating as I was printing fine for nearly a month. So rather than fight with it any longer, I stopped by ACE Hardware on my lunch break today and picked supplies to try out the "glass and hair spray" technique. As I type this post, I have a Gear Coaster printing out very nicely. :D I pre-cleaned the glass with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) then applied two generous coats of Aqua Net Unscented Extra Super Hold Hair Spray, giving it time to dry a little between coats. I imagine the girl at ACE was a little confused with my purchase. 8-) As you know, I have the PBHQ Heated Bed upgrade so rather than take it off the bot, I measured to have the glass fit within the mounting screws. This reduced my overall print area a little, but is acceptable as this was an experiment to see if this printing method was going to work. As my bot's set up now, my "new" print dimensions are as follows: X-120mm, Y-120mm, Z-62mm. I am okay with losing the print area for now to get my prints to stick! Besides, I plan to increase my Jr.'s capacities soon (that's another post in itself).

As a part of the glass bed upgrade, I re-worked my bed leveling screws/knobs. I'm tired of trying to juggle a screwdriver and turn the knobs at the same time so I employed my good friend Nylock help out. ;) You'll notice on the glass bed what looks like liquid or oil... it's actually super glue. I glued two 1/4" pieces of glass together to give me a stronger base (this kept my costs low - less than $1.50). Remember... this was an experiment. :ugeek: Enough chatting... to the photos!!! :x :lol:

Photo notes: There's a few, but I wanted to show the process step-by-step. Besides, who (other than database administrators) doesn't like photos? I have a new trash can and there's a better photo of my Y/Z Sandwich beefing-up-ness too.

-Sam

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Thu-05-Aug

I think I'm running into compatability issues with Windows 8 and RH... my EEPROM settings changed without me touching them! Also, I cannot disable the Raft in Slic3r now. The EEPROM change was the cause of my latest issue with z axis ribbing on a gnome print. See images below for the before/after.

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Sun-19-Aug

Time for another update. :) Here's the changes/updates since my last post.

The brass M8 rod and nuts finally arrived. They were a cinch to install. I didn't put a spring between the two nuts--no need. It performs great as-is. I also changed (yep, again :roll: ) my bed setup. I am printing The Jr. Printr Cup v2 and needed to have as much Z travel as possible. So I modded my bed as follows: Superglue'd the screws to the bed (from the bottom) and used the usual hardware. I also removed the glass bed and tested out the regular bed with a coat of hair spray--working great so far.

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Wed-13-Aug

Bad news on the Jr. Printr Cup V2 print... at around the 5 1/2 hour mark of the 6 hour print, the filament jammed on me and the print was toast. :cry: Dang... what a disappointment! So, that one's on hold for now.

Today's update is one of a more positive note. I just ordered the direct drive extruder upgrade kit and (3) sets of the bearing blocks (they're back In Stock... as of right now). I am going to design a different bearing sandwich setup using the blocks (think Jr. V2 style) and leave myself room to upgrade the print area on all axes. At least a 6" cube, if not bigger! 8-)

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby Lemm » 2013-Aug-Wed-14-Aug

mrsamnc wrote:Bad news on the Jr. Printr Cup V2 print... at around the 5 1/2 hour mark of the 6 hour print, the filament jammed on me and the print was toast. :cry: Dang... what a disappointment! So, that one's on hold for now.

Today's update is one of a more positive note. I just ordered the direct drive extruder upgrade kit and (3) sets of the bearing blocks (they're back In Stock... as of right now). I am going to design a different bearing sandwich setup using the blocks (think Jr. V2 style) and leave myself room to upgrade the print area on all axes. At least a 6" cube, if not bigger! 8-)

How does the cup look like ? is it rectangular or do you still have some angles in ?
You're lucky that you can order the upgrades from printrbot.com. I have to pay more shipping and then the customs duty comes too :evil: .
Are you happy with your brass rod brass nut combination ? I had much brassdust on the ground so I switched to steel rod brass nut combi, and now thinking about acme rods

Printrbot Jr #11045
ACME TR10x2 Z Rod
GT2 Timing Belt with 20T aluminum pulleys
Printrbot Jr v1 -> v2 upgrade http://sdrv.ms/15fDDud
http://www.thingiverse.com/Lemm
Lemm
ACME leadscrew

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Aug-Wed-15-Aug

I'm having great success with the brass rod and nuts! No dust that I can see, yet. I have about 10 hours of printing on it thus far. I'm using two nuts, but no tensioner spring.

The "official" cup V2 design incorporates some arches and rounded corners, as well as two shelves for nozzles and other small items. I also added slots for zip ties to help with cable management. Here's some STL file photos:

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Jr.'s First Growth Spurt

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Sep-Tue-21-Sep

Jr.'s First Growth Spurt

And quite the jump too! ;) Still have to get another threaded rod and break beyond my firmware limits, but it's a start... Not sure of the performance or print quality, just put it together. Stay Tuned...

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby Lemm » 2013-Sep-Wed-02-Sep

heyhey upwards please. :D

Printrbot Jr #11045
ACME TR10x2 Z Rod
GT2 Timing Belt with 20T aluminum pulleys
Printrbot Jr v1 -> v2 upgrade http://sdrv.ms/15fDDud
http://www.thingiverse.com/Lemm
Lemm
ACME leadscrew

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Sep-Wed-08-Sep

What are you going to do? Hang your coat on that?

<<tease>>

Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Aluminum print plate

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Sep-Wed-19-Sep

Printed out a test print--100mm tall "cup". 0.4mm layer height, single-thick wall/perimeter, natural PLA to highlight any issues. No change in print quality and no issues with the increased Z height and new Z rods. Next step is a longer threaded rod and some sort of coupler/brace for the top of the smooth rods and threaded rod.

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Sep-Wed-20-Sep

This is what I did for a z axis top stabilizer, it works well and was very cheep as well as easy to make. Its just hollow aluminum round bar. I cut two 8mm holes and then lightly sanded it for a tight fit.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby mrsamnc » 2013-Dec-Fri-22-Dec

I'm back! 8-) After a much too long hiatus, I have my "man cave" setup and my PB going again. Life gets busy all to quickly and hobbies always suffer first. ;)

Big news... my PB Jr. v1 has undergone extensive changes and is now a "diy / personally sourced" Jr. v2. I'm not supposed to say much about my material sources, but I can say that if you ask nicely, things happen in life that are good. ;)

My Build/Mod Log
mrsamnc
Solid infill...

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Dec-Sat-22-Dec

I'm not worthy...

Looking forward to reading the writeups!

Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Aluminum print plate

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby djsloanau » 2014-Jan-Sun-07-Jan

Hi, wow what a lot of upgrades. Have you stained or painted the ply parts? the bed seems to be a different colour than all the other parts.
Any idea of the cost of upgrades so far?

New to the 3D printing game, but not to 3D design
Printrbot Jr V2 with Aluminium extruder
Mods
Y axis tensioner thingiverse thing:143410
Feet to stop vibrations thingiverse thing:212515
extra fans on extruder motor and alimunium head thingiverse thing:274200
hot plate adjustment thumb screws (front only) thingiverse thing:66096
djsloanau
I'm an end stop.

Return to Welcome, introductions and stories