Can't get email authorization

Introduce yourself, say hello, talk about your printrbot stories

Postby PowerDr73 » 2016-Feb-Thu-19-Feb

I never get the authorization email to finish registering for the site. I had to use a gmail account to sign up and the email came in immediately. I would like to get email notifications to my other email and not gmail.

PowerDr73
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can't get email authorization

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Feb-Thu-20-Feb

Did you get an error? What email domain (the part after the @, like gmail.com for gmail addresses), don't need the user name part before the @ sign, did you use? Have you used it to register here before? PM me if you don't want to mention it publicly.

phpBB requires that you use a valid email address, and if you change it it'll inactivate your account according to the docs.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby PowerDr73 » 2016-Feb-Thu-22-Feb

I didn't get an error, I just never get the email. I am registered with comcast(dot)net email account. I checked my spam/junk folder and there is nothing there. I clicked on re-send authorization and it says email sent and I still don't get anything. I read a few other posts from people that say that they don't get the email either, they have to register with a gmail email to get it. I just didn't want the notifications to go to my gmail email, but my comcast one.

Is there another way to get the verification to join the site?

Thanks

PowerDr73

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Feb-Fri-06-Feb

I'm no expert on the registration process for this site, but I can guarantee you that you don't have to have a gmail account. My account is not gmail.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Feb-Fri-09-Feb

Neither is mine; it's actually an email forwarder that allows me to have a unique emails address for every site registration. I have a long history of dealing with spam, so that's too excessive for most people.

By any chance did you mistype the address? What web browser are you using? Only the Plexmaster knows for sure (only the admin has access to those logs), but Comcast shouldn't be an issue, and we have other comcast users here. The phpBB forum has some discussions of mail bounces, but they're pretty obscure issues.

As a workaround, many email clients (m$'s comes to mine) will allow you to combine mail from multiple accounts.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby PowerDr73 » 2016-Feb-Sat-00-Feb

I tried it again tonight. I tried to login with my other username that I originally wanted to use that is tied to my comcast email and it said this:

The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

I tried to do the re-authorize email thing and it says "email sent" and I never get the email to my comcast email

PowerDr73

Postby thawkins » 2016-Feb-Sat-19-Feb

Mooselake wrote:Neither is mine; it's actually an email forwarder that allows me to have a unique emails address for every site registration. I have a long history of dealing with spam, so that's too excessive for most people.

By any chance did you mistype the address? What web browser are you using? Only the Plexmaster knows for sure (only the admin has access to those logs), but Comcast shouldn't be an issue, and we have other comcast users here. The phpBB forum has some discussions of mail bounces, but they're pretty obscure issues.

As a workaround, many email clients (m$'s comes to mine) will allow you to combine mail from multiple accounts.

Kirk

Gmail does this by default, if you have gmail address of xxyyzz@gmail.com then you can "add" a marker of xxyyzz+marker@gmail.com

Gmail ignores anything after the '+' allowing you to tag your email address with a unique key for every site.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Feb-Sun-20-Feb

thawkins wrote:Gmail does this by default, if you have gmail address of xxyyzz@gmail.com then you can "add" a marker of xxyyzz+marker@gmail.com

Gmail ignores anything after the '+' allowing you to tag your email address with a unique key for every site.

Actually, so does Yahoo and maybe even hotmail. However, in both cases it's easy to get back to your real address, and the s[c|p]ammers know this too. My forwarding service generates a random unique address, lets me monitor traffic to that address, and turn if off if I want to. It also has some options that will stop some of the spamblasters, but that's less important in these days of spambot nets.

In the olden days, when real sysadms ran their own mail servers (or in my case, an ISP's mail servers) whatever+something@domain was defined as ignoring the +something (think it's in the RFC, but too lazy to look). I used even used it back then. My mail forwarding service is nice enough I pay a couple bucks a month for it, with the usual disclaimer that I'm a reasonably hard core rational antispammer. Irrational antispammer is somebody who uses an RBL like rfc-clueless.com's. I'm running into a problem with MailChimp - I program I'm participating in (not 3D printer related) requires MailChimp for their updates and newsletters, MailChimp blocks my forwarder's domain because it's listed in rfc-clueless because some time before 2011 rfc-ignorant (a failed service) thought abuse@domain was missing. Huh? I'm corresponding with both the forwarder and MailChimp, so far the monkeys replied (apparently confusing abuse@ with being abusive) but nothing's resolved. Changing to another address would be a real pain, it's hooked into several sites.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2016-Feb-Mon-10-Feb

to the original poster: PM the email address you want to use and I will change it in you profile.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby rlnixon » 2016-Feb-Thu-13-Feb

Doesn't gmail provide forwarding of recieved email to another address?

rlnixon
Loading filament...

Postby Dr_Radium » 2017-Mar-Sun-15-Mar

PowerDr73 wrote:I didn't get an error, I just never get the email. I am registered with comcast(dot)net email account. I checked my spam/junk folder and there is nothing there. I clicked on re-send authorization and it says email sent and I still don't get anything. I read a few other posts from people that say that they don't get the email either, they have to register with a gmail email to get it. I just didn't want the notifications to go to my gmail email, but my comcast one.

Thanks

In case it is useful to anyone, I had the same problem also with a comcast(dot)net account. I got around it using a blur masked email linked to my preferred email.

Dr_Radium

Return to Welcome, introductions and stories