Broken my USB Connector - Others Be Careful

Postby bmsleight » 2012-May-Fri-15-May

Hi
My advice is to be careful with the connector. The answer lies in more cables ties, I am sure :)

I just broken my Printrbot. Completely my own fault, the USB connector broke off from the printrboard electronics, rather than the cable coming out.
https://twitter.com/#!/bmsleight/status ... 86/photo/1

OMG I think I haven't cussed that much in ages. So frustrating having got it working to have to stop playing and stop giving feedback to the rest of the community. Can not solder to save my life. Especially pins that are so close together. I try and order a new printrboard electronics.

AGAIN I would urge you to treat the USB connector with care.

Regards,
Brendan

bmsleight
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Broken my USB Connector - Others Be Careful

Postby j45on » 2012-May-Fri-16-May

Bad luck are :( , are the pads on the pcb still attached to the pcb ? if so it should not be to hard to re-solder
Where are you based perhaps some one could do it for you ?

Backer # 26
Printrbot +/recieved on 21-6-2012
j45on
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby bmsleight » 2012-May-Fri-17-May

South London - Morden

bmsleight
Levelling print bed...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Fri-17-May

bmsleight wrote:Hi My advice is to be careful with the connector. The answer lies in more cables ties, I am sure :)

Good advice. I'd think an answer is to design and print some kind of additional outboard support which can be added by way of the threaded rods? FYI, There have been a few PrintrBoards with weakly soldered USB connectors that we've seen at HQ when loading the Firmware. This is something which sometimes happens with SMD connectors, even for large companies like HP. I'd ask for a warranty coverage from Brook, unless you know that you specifically did something untoward like hanging the PB by its USB, or similar :shock: ;)

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby eddiema » 2012-May-Fri-18-May

bmsleight wrote:South London - Morden

It is a good idea to add it to your profile and/or sig.

eddiema
Aluminum coupler brain

Postby NightOwl » 2012-May-Sat-01-May

It is possible to do the repair. I'm not sure you can attach the connector back to the board, but you could attach jumpers between the board and the connector. See if you can locate wire wrap. It's really thin, like 30 gauge. Strip and pretin the wire, place the tinned wire on top of the trace. A quick touch with the soldering iron will connect it.

A printed brace sounds like an excellent idea

NightOwl
Levelling print bed...

Postby Michael@Oz » 2012-May-Sat-03-May

I'm picturing a big pile of hot glue on my board now... ;)

ImageKickstarter original. ** See all Printrbot Things in one spot HERE! <- I try to keep that thread compact, please assist by deleting transient posts
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby Michael@Oz » 2012-May-Sat-03-May

You should post in the UK forum and maybe western europe, perhaps on RepRap forums (Bath started it all), I've seen lots of people there who are handy with a soldering iron.

ImageKickstarter original. ** See all Printrbot Things in one spot HERE! <- I try to keep that thread compact, please assist by deleting transient posts
Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby eddiema » 2012-May-Sat-09-May

Michael@Oz wrote:I'm picturing a big pile of hot glue on my board now... ;)

Polymorph.

eddiema
Aluminum coupler brain

Postby j45on » 2012-May-Sat-12-May

If the traces/solder pads on the board and the usb connecter are not damaged I "think" I could re-solder it for you if you posted it to me ?
I live in se kent
Hopefully the connecter coming off did not short anything out
Pm me if you need help

Backer # 26
j45on

Postby ken schmitt » 2012-May-Sat-15-May

eddiema wrote:

Polymorph.

polymorph is good stuff, but is it good for circuit boards? .. anything pulling power and a spot heat would melt a thin layer, and if the board gets warm enough it would turn to putty.

ken schmitt
ACME leadscrew

Postby j45on » 2012-May-Sat-16-May

Could the wooden plate that the printrboard sits on be remade/printed ? with an extension in line with the usb port to support the plug and cable with a cable tie :?:
Might stop future accidents.

Backer # 26
j45on

Postby ken schmitt » 2012-May-Sat-18-May

I'm a big fan of extender cables.

in my line of work videographers are connecting their cameras to the computers via 1394 fire wire lines, on the laptops i have either implemented pcmcia 1394 cards so they wont wear out the ports, or have them using extenders.. ya just don't stress the thing on the device, if you can help it.

but beware of a single piece extender, that can be worse, as the stress is multiplied as a lever across the extender.

ken schmitt
ACME leadscrew

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Sat-19-May

ken schmitt wrote:I'm a big fan of extender cables.

Agreed! Here's a simple and inexpensive adapter: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/SK ... cid=123620

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby eddiema » 2012-May-Sat-19-May

ken schmitt wrote:
eddiema wrote:

Polymorph.

polymorph is good stuff, but is it good for circuit boards? .. anything pulling power and a spot heat would melt a thin layer, and if the board gets warm enough it would turn to putty.

I've used in on a lot of electronics. If it gets too hot to touch you will have a problem - the usb connector isn't going to heat up.
We don't even use the USB power line on printrbot.
You *might* want to keep it off the MOSFET but same goes for hot glue.

eddiema
Aluminum coupler brain

Postby Michael@Oz » 2012-May-Sat-19-May

This one may be good. Relocate the socket to the side of the bot, say glue it to the left base.

Michael@Oz
ACME leadscrew

Postby bmsleight » 2012-May-Sun-13-May

@j45on

Thanks. Someone at work has offered to have a go at soldering, on Tuesday. I may still take you up on your kind offer.

Cheers,
Brendan

bmsleight
Levelling print bed...

Postby jr57k » 2012-May-Tue-12-May

I had this exact same thing happen on a small .NET based micro controller. The manufacturer did a redesign with though hole solder points for all 4 corners of the USB connector based on my failure. In my case I couldn't resolder as the pads lifted up with the connector, there was nothing left to solder to. I'd recommend that the next run of boards get a different and more rugged connector there are tons to choose from.

jr57k
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby pocketscience » 2012-May-Tue-20-May

I'm thinking a panel mount solution would be best in the long run. Micro-USB to panel mount (type A or B easiest to find I'm guessing). One would then mod the base to add a small lip to mount the connector and then run a standard USB cable form Mac/PC to bot.

G.

printrbot backer #147
pocketscience
Solid infill...

Postby jr57k » 2012-May-Tue-22-May

I did a quick survey for panel mount solutions thinking that a hard mount possibly placed on the footing of the LC would be a nice location. Having done a survey on the usual sites I couldn't find an appropriate chassis mount type solution. I found tons of four in USB style motherboard type to chassis port connectors, but they are backward for the configuration that one needs for the printrbot board, if anyone finds something suitable, please post a link!

jr57k
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby rdklein » 2012-May-Wed-01-May

as I can see from the pads it looks like they very not soldered very good before (usually IR soldering for SMDs) -- as the pads have only small areas where they were contacted.
It might be a good idea to resolder them before using the board -- Important if you do it yourself, you need a very fine soldering iron and 0.5mm or smaller solder (sorry dont have the correct words ) and a enlargement glas or better. Of course the pads underneath cannot be resoldered so easy, but are not needed for the function (actually only the four smaller pads are providing +5V, GND and D+ and D-).

I had seen this happen very often - I used mini and microusb in my designs, and when they come from the assembly manufacturer sometimes they are not very good soldered due to the different pad sizes etc.

rdklein
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby CL1 » 2012-May-Wed-06-May

jr57k wrote:I did a quick survey for panel mount solutions thinking that a hard mount possibly placed on the footing of the LC would be a nice location. Having done a survey on the usual sites I couldn't find an appropriate chassis mount type solution. I found tons of four in USB style motherboard type to chassis port connectors, but they are backward for the configuration that one needs for the printrbot board, if anyone finds something suitable, please post a link!

See the overstock.com link I posted above in this thread. You'll see there is a slot in the end of the adapter for which a one or two part print could be designed to make it panel mount. Like this perhaps? [o[usb]o] The o are holes for panel mount screws and the [ [ ] ] brackets are, well, brackets! Which fit into the slot at top and bottom or as drawn from side to side. This idea for that slot was part of why I posted it as a potential solution.

CL1

CL1
Can update firmware

Postby bmsleight » 2012-May-Wed-16-May

Got it fixed.
Cable-ties now holder the cable.

Printing again.

/me dances

bmsleight
Levelling print bed...

Postby ian » 2013-Apr-Thu-21-Apr

I did this to my printr board last night, previously to a wireless hot spot device, and I am concerned about my other printr board for the same reason.

I don't like the tiny usb connectors they are just too fragile.

It took about three hours to get my printer running again. I soldered a usb cable directly to the board and held it in place with hot glue. Getting the connector off without further stripping tracks was the most fiddly, not that cleaning, finding alternate tracks, or re-soldering where much fun.

At the time I was watching Star Trek Deep space nine, when one moment was particularly apt, it was along the lines:
Captain Sisco: If everything worked all the time you would be miserable
Chief: O'Brien: Your probably right, but I would love to give it a try

ian
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Jun-Thu-22-Jun

Just leaving this here for posterity. I've built a few multirotor flight controllers that use these micro B USB Headers.

There are 6 anchor points and 5 pins to solder. If it tears off and you have the pads, this is how I've added them back in.

If you have a hot air rework station - then you already know how to do this (or at least you should) but for those of you with a regular set of tools...

* take some braid - dip it in no clean liquid flux - like from a pen - and draw out the solder from the 6 anchor point (4 corners as well as 2 larger pads underneath)
* flux the pin connectors
* grab a drop of solder on a hot iron - 650 degrees is usually enough
* drag solder and re-tin the pin connector pads
* lay the usb header back on the board and line the pins up

Now the problem with these types of headers is that there is almost no way to get a soldering iron onto the pin, let alone see it. You need a usb microscope or a full on binocular scope to see the pins to align them. The best way that I can recommend doing this part without losing you shirt is to get a tool like the Portasol Pro Piezo. It's a butane soldering iron, but it has hot air tips. I've used it very effectively as a stand in for a hot air rework station and it just works. For $55 bucks - you've spent more on filament, but this is one of those tools that you'll reach for as often as you do your scissors.

Anyway - the point is you need something that can blow hot air. Use this iron to head up the pin pads until the solder gets molten and draws around the pins. The reason you do the pins first is because due to the size of the part, and unless you have a proper rework station - it's impossible to heat all 4 corners evenly without burning up the board...so given the option of what parts to solder first - start with the pins, and if you can get them locked down - then move on to the corner.

When you're satisfied that's been done correctly - then and only then go in and tack down the 4 corners. You don't have to do the 2 pads underneath the header although that's preferred in order to get a solid connection, but it's not mandatory.

Even if you haven't done this already - don't be afraid to retack the 4 corners down with some extra solder as insurance. These are baked in reflow ovens and often times, there just isn't enough paste to really get a good lock on the part so they tear off as often as I read that they have. I'll try to get some video for this as I have another flight controller on my bench that I'm in the midst of documenting.

Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Tool less belt tensioners
Aluminum print plate
GT2 Timing Belt and 20T aluminum pulleys

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby Mochaboy » 2013-Jun-Thu-23-Jun

Here's a visual
usb-microb.jpg

Again - clear solder from the pads
Pretin the pin traces
reflow the pins
then go and tack the 4 corner down

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Tool less belt tensioners
Aluminum print plate
GT2 Timing Belt and 20T aluminum pulleys

Build log & Mods
Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby Exlr8 » 2013-Dec-Tue-05-Dec

My usb connecter has also been broken, the usb cable go caught on the Y build plate where the rods are and pullet the whole cable to the front while the other end was still connected securely to a usb connector on my pc. The printer basically pulled the cord taught and ripped the connector so that it doesn't work and wont connect to printer. I do know soldering, but i haven´t checked the connector yet for damages but its just a warning, the Y carriage is very strong and will even break filament. I has the included test filament laying in front of the printer while printing and the build plate got a hold of the filament and pushed it so far back that it got caught between the build bed and the lcd holder and snapping the filament.

Is it a good idea to maybe solder off the micro usb connector and solder on a full usb 2.0 connector instead?

Exlr8
Loading filament...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Dec-Tue-16-Dec

What I did with my USB is to leave the original cable always plugged in and then bought a USB extension cable to plug and un-plug. That has helped to limit wear and tare on the boards USB plug. I would hope that they would address this in the new release of the Printrboard.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Return to General