Printrbot Jr Firmware

Printrbot Jr Firmware

Postby gbward » 2013-Mar-Mon-09-Mar

Hi,

Where can I get the firmware for the Printrbot Jr?

I'm having issues with my Jr, and I want to troubleshoot it - but I don't want to mess with the firmware settings unless I have an original copy as a backup.

Thanks,

-Geoff

gbward
Waiting to connect to printer...

Printrbot Jr Firmware

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot Jr Firmware

Postby halley » 2013-Mar-Mon-10-Mar

A search of the forum would find a few other threads asking (including mine when I started).

Ostensibly, https://github.com/PxT/Marlin is the official source as shipped for Printrboards. However, the "jr" board is marked with a sharpie and the only firmware difference that I've heard is that one of the motor axis directions is reversed. It's pretty easy to reverse a stepper motor by flipping the plug backwards (or pulling apart the connector and reassembling in reverse wire order, if your connector is not flippable).

The only other limit that I had theorized may mark a "jr" board is a firmware limit on each axis size. I have not yet tried to run a motor to +300mm to see if the board refuses, as it doesn't make much difference in practice.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby halley » 2013-Mar-Mon-10-Mar

Also, most things can be done without reflashing firmware.

The M501 command will reload all soft settings from onboard permanent memory, and display them.
The M503 command will display current settings.
The M92 command and others, will adjust those current settings.
The M500 command will save current settings to onboard permanent memory, for next reboot.

I saved a copy of the output from my stock M501 command (a little file I called M501-stock.txt), before I started messing with things.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby gbward » 2013-Mar-Tue-08-Mar

So, does that mean that firmware - specific to Printrbot Jr. - does not exist? If so, then they should not make a distinction.

-geoff

gbward

Postby plexus » 2013-Mar-Tue-08-Mar

The firmware for the jr is likely Marlin with the necessary axis maximums and directions set. some if this info is in the M501 info. but it would be nice for PBHQ to post the necessary firmware config values in each printer page on their site. that was you can change these in marlin and recompile a version that will work. its also possible to just figure it out yourself but likely at this point you will have to compile and load yourself until someone posts a hex file. i can do but i need to know the specific values to set them.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby halley » 2013-Mar-Tue-09-Mar

plexus wrote:it would be nice for PBHQ to post the necessary firmware config values in each printer page on their site

Agreed there. All CAD files for Open Hardware should be on github or similar, but without the specific links, it's really hard to know. I've only seen a Printrboard Rev B schematic, but somewhere there exists Rev D (shipping) and Rev E (upcoming).

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby plexus » 2013-Mar-Tue-10-Mar

halley wrote:
plexus wrote:it would be nice for PBHQ to post the necessary firmware config values in each printer page on their site

Agreed there. All CAD files for Open Hardware should be on github or similar, but without the specific links, it's really hard to know. I've only seen a Printrboard Rev B schematic, but somewhere there exists Rev D (shipping) and Rev E (upcoming).

as for the firmware for the JR its easy enough to take Marlin or more likely Lincomatic's fork and modify the config files to match what you want to get out of your printer. but of course you need to get the whole Arduino IDE installed and working and able to compile. if you don't know what you are doing (like me) then it can take some work to do. but it's worth it frankly... after getting it working i can now open the source code that runs the printer and make whatever changes i want. not that i would to the code but to the configuration data which is nicely separated from the code. its pretty self explanatory - you can do things like set your printer's dimensions and all that but there more value in things like adjusting the maximum speeds up so you can print faster than 60mm/s (the firmware has 60 set as the max, so anything over 60 in your gcode is ignored), max temps (for doing things like nylon and polycarbonate), etc. its worth attempting once you get to a point with your printer where you want to explore and experiment some more.

I had to get into the FW first because I put an optical end stop on Z and it operates in reverse polarity to the switch. i could have built a hardware inverter but decided to try and fix this in the firmware. after a few hours of googling and trying different things i got it working and was able to re-compile a new firmware with the Z stop inverted from stock PB. then i discovered the max speed was set to 60. i bumped all those up to 200 so i could print fast if i wanted (although i am finding some mechanical issues in the way of printing much faster than 120) and i increased the max hot end temp to 375 - not that i will run it at 375 but i want the option to go high for nylon and polycarbonate especially since the hot end actually runs cooler than the temp you set it at.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby lwalkera » 2013-Mar-Tue-12-Mar

halley wrote:

https://github.com/lwalkera/printrboard

Laine Walker-Avina
Printrbot Beta-tester and Printrboard Designer
lwalkera
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby halley » 2013-Mar-Tue-12-Mar

Thanks for the direct link on this forum, lwalkera.

I was kinda responding to plexus' words "on their site." Be proud and up-front with the designs, keep them up to date... it helps those who want to understand the Open Hardware product they bought. BOM, board, firmware, cutter plans, assembly instructions, usage instructions. If you've seen a Jenkins or other continuous integration server, think of the hardware equivalent of it.

Maybe while I'm waiting for a print to complete, I'll find a link to the laser cutter files for each of the bots, and see how well I could show their proper fit with 3D renderings and animations.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby gbward » 2013-Mar-Wed-07-Mar

plexus wrote:I had to get into the FW first because I put an optical end stop on Z and it operates in reverse polarity to the switch. i could have built a hardware inverter but decided to try and fix this in the firmware. after a few hours of googling and trying different things i got it working and was able to re-compile a new firmware with the Z stop inverted from stock PB.

Cool. Can you clarify a few things for me then? I've seen conflicting instructions about how to upload firmware.

a) If I have a rev D PrintrBoard, purchased from PBHQ, do I need to use a jumper to set it to bootloader mode, or can I just upload it? (In other words, is bootloader mode for installing new bootloaders, or installing firmware?)

b) Can I use the Arduino GUI to upload the firmware or do I have to use Amtel's Flip? (If both are possible, which one is easier?)

c) Would you be willing to summarize how you did it?

THanks,

-gbward

gbward

Postby plexus » 2013-Mar-Wed-15-Mar

gbward wrote:
plexus wrote:I had to get into the FW first because I put an optical end stop on Z and it operates in reverse polarity to the switch. i could have built a hardware inverter but decided to try and fix this in the firmware. after a few hours of googling and trying different things i got it working and was able to re-compile a new firmware with the Z stop inverted from stock PB.

Cool. Can you clarify a few things for me then? I've seen conflicting instructions about how to upload firmware.
a) If I have a rev D PrintrBoard, purchased from PBHQ, do I need to use a jumper to set it to bootloader mode, or can I just upload it? (In other words, is bootloader mode for installing new bootloaders, or installing firmware?)
b) Can I use the Arduino GUI to upload the firmware or do I have to use Amtel's Flip? (If both are possible, which one is easier?)
c) Would you be willing to summarize how you did it?

Lets see if i can answer...

a) "bootloader mode" is for uploading firmware. on rev B you REMOVE the jumper and power the board up and load the FW. on rev D you ADD the jumper, power up and load

b) if the board came from PBHQ it will more than likely have the DFU bootloader. with DFU you have to use Flip or a dfu upload utility. I've use both and frankly, Flip is a way better interface and method for doing this. if it came from another source, it likely has a CDC bootloader which can be loaded using the Arduino IDE or Flip (i think, on the latter). use Flip.

c) I already have. you can search for the post. using Flip is a lot easier. but you have to set things up in the Arduino IDE to get a successful compile. then you can use Flip to upload the compiled hex file to the PBrd. search for my stickied post on compiling firmware on the mac - the instructions would be similar for windoze. Flip only runs on windoze. my instructions were using the mac dfuinstall tool. but now, I use Flip running on windoze on my mac. Flip is easy to use.

plexus
Site Admin

Return to General