Jonbot Plus - a new fully printed printer!

Re: Jonbot Plus - a new fully printed printer!

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Oct-Tue-20-Oct

oldswamm wrote:If you think it's a waste of time, then I'm sure it is. I knew I was premature, jumping in here where I have no experience.
I'll leaver you alone, at least till I've started printing it, and can make a more specific request. :)
Thanks,
Bob

Im not sure if it's a waste of time or not, it's just that after using my Jonbot for months I don't see a need for it!

By all means, if you have a request leave it!

frankv wrote:I've been working on JonBot/Trirod as well, particularly the X axis.

My approach to the X axis is quite different from the PrintrBot and JonBot mechanisms. That's partly because I wanted to be able to print the Trirod parts on my Simple Makers 100x100x100 build platform, and partly because I wanted to extend the Trirod to 300x300x300. One of the things I didn't like about the original design was that the bearings are mounted close together. Any slight error would get magnified 30-fold. There's also a large scope for flexing of the bars. So I've mounted the bearings 150mm apart, 75mm in from each side of the platform. The rods don't move, but consequently must be about 500mm long. This means the bending loads on the rods & platform are more or less the same as for the Simple Makers. I also moved the belt to the middle of the platform, to minimise twisting forces when accelerating. And moved the X motor to beyond the end of the X platform motion, so that the platform could be mounted lower, for lower bending forces on the mounts. And changed the belt path to be double-precision.

Files are available via OnShape.com -- search Public documents for "Trirod X axis". Most of the design was done with FreeCAD, so download X-axis.FCstd if you want to make it. I've only moved a couple of the parts to OnShape so far. If anyone wants the files and can't get them via OnShape, get back to me.

I've also done some redesign of the Z-box, since (a) it no longer needs to mount the X-axis motor, and (b) the original wasn't printable on my little printer. search for "Trirod Z axis".

CAVEAT: Whilst all this is built, and looks good, I haven't yet finished building this printer. Hence I don't know whether this will all work in reality.

I plan to (at least initially) stick with the standard Trirod Y axis, but have some ideas for improvement of this... I think the best design would be a "gantry" system similar to the Prusa i3... a carriage for the extruder/hotend would travel along stationary rods. The Y-axis motor should be mounted at one end so that it also doesn't have to physically move when the head is moved in the Y-axis. I guess you could have 2 Y-axis motors, but I don't see the point. Two Z-axis motors, one at the bottom of each upright, would be used to lift the Y-axis.

For anyone interested, I've also designed a mount for the Diamond hotend for the Trirod. This includes a radial fan mount for filament cooling as well as the standard axial fan to cool the heatsinks. Search OnShape.com for "Trirod Diamond Extruder Head". This is even more untested than the other stuff above, but all the components do at least fit together, but I think I'll want to reposition the radial fan.

Do you have any pictures to share? The "gantry" system you described seems similar in style to the Jonbot Plus. I'd love to see what yours looks like.

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby frankv » 2015-Oct-Thu-20-Oct

Arrrgghh... Apologies for allowing my confusion to infect this thread!

I had overlooked the Jonbot PLUS, and am building a Trirod bot, which is based on the original Jonbot.

Now that I've looked, I see that my ideas for a gantry system do closely correspond to what the JonBot Plus has. I believe that this demonstrates the genius of Jon Lawrence. :mrgreen:

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Oct-Thu-21-Oct

frankv wrote:Arrrgghh... Apologies for allowing my confusion to infect this thread!

I had overlooked the Jonbot PLUS, and am building a Trirod bot, which is based on the original Jonbot.

Now that I've looked, I see that my ideas for a gantry system do closely correspond to what the JonBot Plus has. I believe that this demonstrates the genius of Jon Lawrence. :mrgreen:

Ahh that makes sense! I probably should have come up with a more creative name than just adding Plus!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Oct-Fri-20-Oct

Quick little update, I finally installed my E3D Cyclops and got Repetier Firmware setup on my JB+! Just setting up the extruders now then I'm ready to print! Already did some tests with the old extruders and it works great!
20151009_212849.jpg
20151009_212857.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Jonbot Plus - a new fully printed printer!

Postby orangefurball » 2016-Jan-Tue-02-Jan

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453187949.371834.jpg

Small update today. Jonbot Rev 1.802728263 (that sounds good) is done!

Spool on top, back to one extruder on bottom, stabilizing bar for the Z axis, MDF sandwich with Ramps and power supply contained and some messy wiring.

I'll figure out something to do with the LCD one day, I also have a strip of LEDs for the top. The MDF is held up by simple printed supports and the whole base was shoddily spray painted in the 0 degree wind earlier in the night.

The Jonbot is the workhorse that just doesn't quit, I love the darn thing!

Edit: forgot to mention I'm back to Marlin. Repetier was alright but there's nothing like the simplicity of "it just works" Marlin.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Oct-Sat-04-Oct

I started this project last year and never got around to finishing it.
A few weeks ago I thought it was time to finish it. It took a couple of weeks just to figure out where I was in the process and update myself
on things that have changed since I last thought about this printer. The reason I had decided to originally build it was based on the Idea of the
way the hot end was supported I thought it would be more stable than my existing printer was. Also there was the idea of using a glass bed
because it would be leveler than my un-machined aluminum bed.

I have made a few changes. Since last time I looked at it a "new" IR sensor has been developed and in use for several months now. After
looking into it I decided to purchase one. It is working very well with a glass bed, more about that later.

I am using spring loading on the corners of the bed. It is a very simple way to be able to adjust the bed for leveling. The bed is made up of an
aluminum plate, cardboard, heater, glass and a sheet of PEI on the top.

PEI, IR sensor and glass. The IR sensor will see thru the PEI and glass unless something is placed in the way. Since the PEI is 1mm thick and the
double strength glass that I am using is 3.175mm. I'm not sure but I think the IR sensor would be reflecting off the heated bed which would give
incorrect information back to the IR sensor as far as distance to the printing surface would be. What is recommended by the manufacture is
to paint one side of the PEI with high temperature, flat black paint. This is what I did and it is working well. I still have to deal with 1mm difference
between the reflective layer and the print layer but that is a lot easier than dealing with 4.175mm (glass & PEI).

At this point I only have a little tweaking to do in the firmware and I should be able to start using it. Guess I should also go back and clean up the wiring etc.....

Electronics:
RAMPS 1.4, Arduino Mega 2560,
IR Sensor, Mini Differential IR Height Sensor : Read about it here"
https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com/min ... sor-board/
Firmware: Marlin RC-6 modified.
Hardware:
Steppers Nema 17 72oz. in.
Rods: 500mm x 8mm
Hand full of custom printer parts for
Double wall Cardboard (local UPS store), works very well as heat insulator.
Hot end E3D Lite6
Other parts bearings etc. common to all 3 d printers.

Bed_006.jpg

Bed_008.jpg

Bed_Makeup.jpg

Bed_Makeup-02.png

IR_Probe_002.jpg

Printer_001.jpg

Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Oct-Sat-07-Oct

Impressive work. Just one comment: It looks like your bed would be liable to vibrate when the printer is doing small infill zig-zags because those bolts supporting it are so long (and relatively thin). You might find that shorter, thicker bolts would give you better support for the bed in the X-Y axis. For leveling the bed, you shouldn't need more than a couple of mm of spring compression available between "reasonably pre-tensioned" and "compressed to a solid."

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Oct-Sat-09-Oct

Thank you RetireeJay for the commits.
I had not thought about the vibration, I think that is a something I will need to watch.
If needed that will be easy to change. The current mounting screws are 50mm x 3mm
and the gray mounting plug could easily go to 6mm if needed.

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Oct-Sat-17-Oct

I ran a G29 today, now if I only knew what I am looking at.

EQn coefficients: A: -0.00036486 b: -0.00072760 d: -8.59633731

Bed Level Correction Matrix:

+1.000000 +0.000000 -0.000365
-0.000000 +1.000000 -0.000728
+0.0003650+0.000728 +1.000000
X:148.00 Y:246.01 Z:11.40 E:0.00 Count X: 11841 Y:39362 Z:44655
X:0.00 Y:246.01 Z:11.40 E:0.00 Count X: 0 Y:39361 Z:45587
X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:11.40 E:0.00 Count X: 0 Y: 0 Z:45587

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Oct-Sat-03-Oct

Added second hot end

Dual_01.jpg

Dual_03.jpg

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Oct-Mon-05-Oct

Seems to be working.
Printed test square, Gray/Yellow

Proof_01.jpg

Proof_02.jpg

Unfortunately on this one, the printer just stopped about 2 1/2 hours in to a 6 hour print?
I have the printer running a little slower on this one.

Proog_03.jpg

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Previous

Return to General